Good AVR to pair with RF-42ii :)

Naked0852

Hi Guys,

I just put together my first 2.1 system for my television with the Klipsch RF-42ii + Martin Logan Dynamo 300. It's my first ever sound system and I'm glad it was from the Klipsch reference line. They sound incredible!

Alright, now to the tough part:

I originally had a Denon AVR-E200 hooked up to these speakers (yes I know it's an incredible cheap receiver, but I initially picked it up to go with Pioneer SPFS52 towers which I got rid of cause the Klipsch blew me away) then I upgraded to an Onkyo TX-NR525. It seems that with this new receiver over long periods of listening my ears start to fatigue and hurt. I never experienced this with my Denon receiver and I listened to these speakers for hours on end with those.

My question, is this all in my head or do Onkyo receivers really pronounce high frequencies which combined with the klipsch towers just cause ear fatigue?

If you guys could recommend a good AVR to pair with these towers I would be grateful!

Please keep in mind I have a tight budget, don't want to go over 300 USD. I like a nice warm sounding receiver, but wouldn't mind a nice neutral receiver.

Feel free to let me know if its all in my head or if there is any real substance to what I am experiencing.

• Like 1

Welcome Home to the Klipsch Forums!

$300 budget means you need a DEAL!!!

Also do the same thing for all Klipsch Authorized Internet Dealers.

I'm partial to Denon, but, others can be decent, too.

Edited by Sancho Panza

Naked0852,

Welcome to the forum.

I just put together my first 2.1 system for my television with the Klipsch RF-42ii + Martin Logan Dynamo 300. It's my first ever sound system and I'm glad it was from the Klipsch reference line. They sound incredible!

Glad to here that.

then I upgraded to an Onkyo TX-NR525. It seems that with this new receiver over long periods of listening my ears start to fatigue and hurt.
My question, is this all in my head or do Onkyo receivers really pronounce high frequencies which combined with the klipsch towers just cause ear fatigue?

From my experience, I would say no. I would say that Onkyo has a "crispness" and detail in the highs but never experience fatigue, and I have owned several Onkyo(integra) pieces.

but wouldn't mind a nice neutral receiver.

I have always thought Onkyo was "dead on" neutral and just presented what the source was conveying.

You want "warmish", Harman Kardon and to some extent Marantz, should do the trick.

Bill

Edited by willland

Willland and Sancho Panza,

Thank you, great to be here!

From my experience, I would say no. I would say that Onkyo has a "crispness" and detail in the highs but never experience fatigue, and I have owned several Onkyo(integra) pieces.

That's interesting, maybe I just need to give it some time since it's only been 24hrs. I'll wait a little bit since it does come with a 30 day return period.

I have always thought Onkyo was "dead on" neutral and just presented what the source was conveying.

You want "warmish", Harman Kardon and to some extent Marantz, should do the trick.

I was looking into Harman Kardon, Marantz would be a little out of my price range. Would you consider the Harman Kardon AVR1700 to be a decent entry level receiver to give me the warm sound im looking for?

Thanks a lot for all your help! This forum is great :)

A lot of the avr's under $300 are 5.1. Here is a nice Pioneer with MCACC which will use the x-curve to attenuate the Hi's if needed. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-700w-5-1-ch-network-ready-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver/7607044.p?id=1218854266268&s

Sony does not get much rave reviews from audiophile but, some of the avr's are quite nice. I like my little Sony. Here is a link for a seven channel receiver. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-1015w-7-2-ch-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver/4419006.p?id=1219098157631&skuId=4419006&st=sony%20receiver&cp=1&lp=8

These are around $350 if you can stretch your budget since you have some really nice towers. You will find in this hobby if you go to cheap that you will be shopping again soon for something better. A I wish you a warm welcome to our forum.

Edited by derrickdj1

derrickdj1,

thanks for that recommendation. I'll really have to consider how far I can push because I originally started out wanting to get Pioneer Andrew Jones towers that retail for 129 each and I pushed myself like crazy to get the Klipsch RF-42ii, then I pushed myself from 200 to 300 for the receiver =/

As I've learnt in the past month this hobby can get very pricey very fast.

I shall have to consider all my options and see what I can manage.

Would a Denon AVR-E300 be a nice receiver? I know it's on the cheaper side. Let me know.

Thank you :)

Welcome! First off I gotta ask you mentioned just getting these towers and stretching your budget for them. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for them?

Ok about cheapy denon receivers. I had the rf-42ii home theater for a while and had it paired with a denon 1713. Great combo. The newer model would be the x-1000. The great thing about this receiver is it's only 5.1 but it is a fully loaded one. Got the second step down in audyssey vs the one your looking at the ex00 doesn't have very good audyssey.

I'm also a owner of the Martin Logan you have. Good little sub for the money.

Check into accesories4less.com for a refurbished denon 1713 or denon x1000.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1000/denon-avr-x1000-5.1-channel-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html#!warranties

Boom! Well under your budget! Click extended warranties and get the 5 year warranty for 50$ more and still under! Seems like a winner to me.

Let me know about the rf-42ii where you got em and what you payed for them. May be able to save you some more money.

Scrappydue,

I managed to pick up the RF-42ii for $199 each + tax. Fry's was running a clearance special on their towers and they only had a few in stock. When I saw the deal I just couldn't refuse since it was $70 more for each compared to the pioneers. So I did push myself, had it been over $200 then there would be no way I would have gotten them.

As far as the receiver goes, I saw the one on accessories4less and it does look like a really good deal. But I ordered the AVRE300 because I got a great credit card sign up bonus through amex :) Gave me 100 dollar credit for amazon combined with a 80 dollar gift card I had remaining I got the E300 for 109 with tax. :)

I know you were helping out with my post on a sub for the RB51ii setup. Would anyone have recommendations for a good receiver to pair with:

RB51ii front

RC52ii center

RS42ii surround

SVS PB-1000 sub

budget would be approx. 700USD maybe would be able to push by 100. This system is for my parents so again on features nothing crazy but want clean power :)

Was recommended onkyo nr636 but i'm not too sure bout onkyo now. Thanks :)

Oh I also forgot to add, I ended up returning the ML300 because it wasn't powerful enough for my room. I ended up ordering the Dayton 1200 off partsexpress. Waiting for it to arrive, but I've heard its really powerful for its size and cost. Got it for 119 with free shipping :)

Hopefully that will be solid for me for atleast the next 2-3 years since I'm in college and would like these components to atleast last my time in college :)

hahahaha, speaking of audyssey - how much of a difference does it actually make? I know this may sound like a stupid question but I have no idea. I do know that I just set up the e-300 and its the first receiver i've used where it ran the room eq and it actually sounded better than before. Every other receiver (granted very cheap ones) have sounded really bad after the room eq ran.

So would getting the x1000 mean that the room eq upgrade would make it sound even better? Another thing to consider is - I am in University - in 2 years I will graduate at which point I will be moving and at which point dependent on where I move I plan to purchase more speakers to go from 2.1 to 5.1 and I plan to upgrade receiver. Sounds silly but this receiver is going to be for better part of 2 -3 years max. where as speakers I hope minimum of 5 - 6 years.

I know the x1000 would probably be great, but I really can't afford it right now. It's too much money considering how much I've already put into my system. I think it's time for me to call a time out and focus on studying and get a solid job :) The day I am out of University and working I will be sure to get the very best. But for now I feel I have to be satisfied with what I have :)

Also going back to the question of receiver for my parents - would a Denon X2100w be a good option? I see it's listed on amazon for $699 and it seems like a very solid receiver. Any thoughts? (would I be better off starting a new thread?)

Once again all the help and advice is greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Naked0852