WTB: Marantz 2285b

Bruford

Looking to buy a Marantz 2285b. I am from the west suburbs of Chicago so a local deal would be nice but I will pay for shipping if I have to. If anybody is interested in a trade, I have a NM Fisher 400 with original wood case and original tubes that plays great. I can provide pics if anyone is interested.

Why get rid of the Fisher? I once owned a 2250B and on A B testing with my restored 500c was no competition. The Fisher was night and day above the sound the Marantz had.

Of course, I was using a variety of different tubes as well, not the original fisher tubes.

Looking to buy a Marantz 2285b. I am from the west suburbs of Chicago so a local deal would be nice but I will pay for shipping if I have to. If anybody is interested in a trade, I have a NM Fisher 400 with original wood case and original tubes that plays great. I can provide pics if anyone is interested.

I had the Marantz 2285b. Told my cousin I'd give it to her with Paradigm Phantom Speakers and CD player. Before I could arrange transport from Roseburg to Sacramento I hooked it up to make sure everything worked. After an hour or two I had to ask what had I done. If I had not already PROMISED them to her I'd probably still have them today. I like to think my word is worth something, so we loaded them up in her parents van and she took them home.

BigAl and I were playing tube equipment one night as he wanted to see what the deal was about tubes. We played Mac mc30's,

And then we played the Fisher 400. That Fisher sounded awesome. Much better than the last time I played it. Or so it seemed.

Within a couple weeks BigAl had scored some tube's and I not heard much from him since. I guess the point is that for some people tubes just sound better.

I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry to get rid of that Fisher. I bought mine for around $300, took it straight to the shop and the final bill there was over $700 . I feel I got my money's worth. Gentleman on the forum inquired bout buying it, but it's not for sale

If you do decide to get rid of the Fisher, Post it on the forum please.

I still play both SS and tubes depending on my mood at the time

2270 $$ ?,  thought by some to be in the desirable class such as 2285B, 2325, and 2500.

Have had both 2270 and 2285B.  Both good enough to be given as gifts to Family,

2325 I'll keep.   2500 waiting for restoration, 

Any of these ought to Float yer Boat.  Did mine.   :)

John

• 2 weeks later...

Why get rid of the Fisher? I once owned a 2250B and on A B testing with my restored 500c was no competition. The Fisher was night and day above the sound the Marantz had.

Of course, I was using a variety of different tubes as well, not the original fisher tubes.

Why get rid of the Fisher?
I was wondering the same thing.... 

I already have a HH Scott 222b that has been fully restored that is my main tube amp for critical listening. The Fisher is nice but it does not measure up to the Scott and I only want one tube amp. I would like to get a solid state Marantz like the 2285b for a secondary system in my garage and I don't want to use the Fisher for backround noise. I think the Fisher should be put to better use.

• 4 weeks later...