Dropping the " La " from LaScala

boxerjake

I've been poundering the prospect of a new " Bull " in the barn , so to speak ...

Got a line on a pair of Focal Scala V2 Utopia for slighly less then a decent retail deal ( still the price of a large SUV )

Buddy of mine has the Stella Utopia EM ( Just under 100K ) and they fricken rock ... I mean , this is a whole different Audio experiance !

For years ( 30 to be exact ) i've toy'ed with every klipsch offering , but in the last 10 -15 years i've seen no " Next step " from klipsch and now find myself looking elsewhere for a new " Fix " ...

Might be wrong .... but i think i'm gonna pull the trigger on these Focals for my 2 channel rig .

Edited by boxerjake
  • Like 1

The MWM's have much too large of a footprint for the room i have set aside for 2 Channel ( 24 x 24 with 10' ceiling )

Jub's ... Dressed up K-horn's which i already have 2 pair , I've heard the jub's and to be honest they are a slight improvement over the k's i have slaved for years to improve . Network upgrades , driver upgrades , horn upgrades etc etc etc

I'll still keep my 4 k-horns in my theater room as well as a center Belle and cornwall sides, but i'm ready to take the next step for 2-channel .

My hoard of Lascala's have made thier way to my garage system ... not many rooms that will suport 6 of them .

Now i'm thinking as soon as my teenagers move out of the house they can take the Lascala's with them and i'll move my 6 heresy into the garage instead . Atleast the mice can't get into the heresy to nest like they do with the driver bin of the Lascala's in the winter ..... LOL

• Moderators
The MWM's have much too large of a footprint for the room i have set aside for 2 Channel ( 24 x 24 with 10' ceiling )

Dang now I find my room is to small, hate when that happens. 18d x 24w :(

• Like 2

Baloney! Plenty of room for them. I think you would be wasting your money on anything else, Dale. Seriously! Excellent at lower volumes, too.
  • Like 2

Those are supposed to be great speakers, Boxerjake! If you've found something that just hits you right and evokes the kind of emotional response I sense in your first post, it's good to know you're listening to music reproduced in a way that's best for you. That's what this is, or in my opinion, should be about.

I have two main speaker systems -- La Scalas and amp air of back-horn loaded Lowthers. Lowthers are NOT Klipsch, obviously, but they convey certain kinds of music in ways that to me is simply more correct and preferred to the same music on the La Scalas. Same for the La Scalas. They can portray more complex and involved symphonic....larger scale musical forms, heat metal, progressive rock, electronic jazz without any sense of congestion or roughness compared to the same being sorted out by the single driver, crossoverless Lowther horns (which btw are a couple of dBs more efficient than the La Scalas).

Good luck!

Jub's ... Dressed up K-horn's which i already have 2 pair , I've heard the jub's and to be honest they are a slight improvement over the k's i have slaved for years to improve . Network upgrades , driver upgrades , horn upgrades etc etc etc

I'll still keep my 4 k-horns in my theater room as well as a center Belle and cornwall sides, but i'm ready to take the next step for 2-channel .

My hoard of Lascala's have made thier way to my garage system ... not many rooms that will suport 6 of them .

Now i'm thinking as soon as my teenagers move out of the house they can take the Lascala's with them and i'll move my 6 heresy into the garage instead . Atleast the mice can't get into the heresy to nest like they do with the driver bin of the Lascala's in the winter ..... LOL

I just want to be clear on this. The Jubilees that you heard, were these clones or factory made with the big 402 horn and Klipsch designed crossovers/settings?

I am asking since something does not seem right. The Jubilees should be much more than an incremental step up from the K-Horns. I know because I am quite famliar with both.

Edited by PrestonTom
  • Like 1

Having adequate space never stopped us from having the speakers we wanted money was always our barrier. Because of that started building speakers 40 yrs ago. Getting set up for two more sets one set to house new horns the other to improve bass response.

You can bet if money were not an issue the room were not be the barrier.

Not everyone perceives and responds to reproduced music the same way! We seem to continue to promote what we,individually, think is is correct, different, better, worse -- without recognizing the fact that our interpretation may by vastly different from that of someone else,

This holds true for every single aspect of this hobby -- from the eternally tiring capacitor debate, to resistors, tube vs transistor...all of it. One person will say tubes are inherently musical. Really? Almost all of the amps I own and have made myself are in fact hollow state devices, yet I know classically-trained professional musicians who told me they tried a great variety of tube amplification and simply could not reconcile themselves to what they described as less musically correct in terms of timing, timbre, texture, clarity, and so forth of their preferred variety of solid state.

Every component and passive and/or active individual constituent of that component imparts some small thing to the signal passing through it. We all choose our own preferred colorations in our music making machines and air vibration devices.

Focal makes a fine speaker. There's a higher end stereo shop in Denver which carries them. I had a chance to listen to them on a slow afternoon a few months back. If I wasn't familiar with Klipsch Heritage (and/or had room for more speakers) I might be tempted. The big question might be overall satisfaction in the long term with non-horn loaded speakers. Pretty sure I'd get tired of the more passive presentation other speakers give. I'd have to have the room and finances to support both if I was going to experiment. Let us know what you decide to do and how it's working out.

I found moving from horns to direct radiating did not work out for me

Horns have a huge presentation and it was hard for me to let that go....................I dare say you will find with time you will feel that loss, but when the urge hits you could always visit the theater room for a fix :D

• Like 1

92db efficiency and they say they will drop down to 27, so the bottom end should be good. However, do you have the gear to drive them? No flea powered amps on these speakers.

On the plus side you will still be listening to a 3-way.

Erik and Mark seem to get my drift .... The hobby is about exploring options ( within your means )

Case in point : I've drag raced for 30 years , in that time , my first car was a 14 second 1970 chevelle and over the decades 12 -15 others have came and gone till i found myself running low 9's about 150k later in a 66 pro- street malibu .

Hobbies morf or they are no longer hobbies ... My first car was a 300 hp L-48 350 chevelle and now i run a dual qual 572 cu/in with direct injection NOS ..it's the hobby , it morfed and progressed !

My Avatar is a pic of me winning a Golden gloves championship as a welterweight , i then went on to fight as a middle weight and then a light heavy weight ... Hobbiy morfed and progessed .

I've been klipsch' ed to death over the years , but i've also owned 40 or 50 other brands of speakers as well over the years ...

I buy and sell from alibaba.com and have even had concert line arrays in my house ! Now you wanna talk SPL .... been there done that :)

Anyone who can't appriciate the Focals , Magico Q7, MBL 101 X-Treme , Wilson XLF , Raidho C4.1 or Lansche No.7 are really missing the entire point of having audio as a hobby .

Naturaly , everyone has to play their game within their own means ...

Pic's are me winning a national championship as a welterweight and then a week before my last fight as a light heavy weight ... hobby morf'ed just like the racing and just like the audio ...

( by this time my nose had been broken 5 times and right cheekbone crushed as you can see by the scaring and crooked nose )

I was 123 wins 2 lost over my amatuer boxing in 3 different weight classes .. Broken my right hand 4 times, the doctor told me the next time i would loose feeling in my hand so i gave up my pro dream and took up being a mechanic and raising a family ...

post-58676-0-28300000-1408341454_thumb.j

post-58676-0-48460000-1408342030_thumb.j

Edited by boxerjake