Almost finished my UDS, and my first short smoke

joessportster

At competitions if your ribs fall off the bone they are considered overcooked and pretty much guarantee you last place.

This is why I could never win, as I consider them best falling off the bone...................Of course I have no teeth and I could not eat them otherwise :D

You're like my brother. Coincidentally also named Joe...

Sweet rig. Do you have provision for a water pan too?

First smoke i placed a grate on top of the fire basket and the water boiled out pretty quickly, so i put some bolts approx 10" above the basket now and set the grate and water pan on that, water lasts much longer

that pan sure gets ugly  :D

smoked 2 whole chickens and a pork pic-nic, everyone seemed happy with the outcome, learned that the pork will plateau at 160 for awhile, before climbing

to 190+ which is supposed to be near perfect for pulling............................I am having a good bit of fun with the smoker

• Moderators

smoked 2 whole chickens and a pork pic-nic, everyone seemed happy with the outcome, learned that the pork will plateau at 160 for awhile, before climbing to 190+ which is supposed to be near perfect for pulling............................I am having a good bit of fun with the smoker

From what I have read when the pork plateaus it when the energy from heat goes into melting fat instead of raising the temps. After much of the fat has melted off the temps start to rise again. 

Your right about the temp, I tried them at about 185 and they were more fatty and harder to pull, 190-195 perfect, 200 or a little more and it pulled good but starting to dry out a little so I stick with 190-195.

Glad your having fun with it, I love smoking, my biggest problem is watching I don't wear everyone out on the taste being I would rather smoke over other ways of cooking.

Hey don't know how you are pulling but I copied one of those pullers that go in a cordless drill and it works great. I made one from stainless because they are expensive online but work great, pull 2 butts in about 1 minute.

Looks like this and works perfectly  

post-9700-0-94860000-1408394195_thumb.jp

• Like 1

thanks Detel, I was trying my fingers OUCH !!  Even after 30 minutes resting the inside was still hot as hell near the bone........................my next grill will be a trailer mount, with a side burn box, I am already scouring the net looking at designs my problem is I cant weld for crap

I could see myself going overboard with the smoke as well, and wearing out the wife and kids

I suppose I will have to use moderation, fortunately for me thats no issue as funds make buying coal etc... a challenge 

smoked 2 whole chickens and a pork pic-nic, everyone seemed happy with the outcome, learned that the pork will plateau at 160 for awhile, before climbing to 190+ which is supposed to be near perfect for pulling............................I am having a good bit of fun with the smoker

From what I have read when the pork plateaus it when the energy from heat goes into melting fat instead of raising the temps. After much of the fat has melted off the temps start to rise again. 

Your right about the temp, I tried them at about 185 and they were more fatty and harder to pull, 190-195 perfect, 200 or a little more and it pulled good but starting to dry out a little so I stick with 190-195.

Glad your having fun with it, I love smoking, my biggest problem is watching I don't wear everyone out on the taste being I would rather smoke over other ways of cooking.

Hey don't know how you are pulling but I copied one of those pullers that go in a cordless drill and it works great. I made one from stainless because they are expensive online but work great, pull 2 butts in about 1 minute.

Looks like this and works perfectly  

Wow!  Thanks for sharing this method.  I have not seen one of these and googled and saw a youtube video.  How did you make it, with a welder?  Start cranking them out.  I will buy one or more for gifts.

no welding required, just a few good drill bits, and a list of parts I would be happy to share, price with finding the barrel was about 90.00 all in

I would be happy to help with instructions advice, parts list etc......

I built with bare minimum money out of pocket, used old grill as a donor etc.....This is actually very easy to build with all parts available at local hardware except the drum

My advice would be if you want one start watching craigslist for used 55 gallon drums (try to get the 1 with the removable lids), I got my barrel for 20.00

Your smoker is awesome joesportster and I may have to make one someday.  I was referring to the drill pork puller.  Never seen onel.  dtel's picture didn't paste when I quoted.  We have been pulling pork by hand too.  Or I should say, my wife has.  I can't take the credit.

DSC_8110_3602.JPG

• Moderators
any opinions on these

I never tried those so I can't say ?

I seen it advertised online and watched the video, I couldn't pay $70 so I just made one.

I have to say it works perfectly, I put the pork butts in a tall pot and pull out the bones. Put the cordless drill on high and it shreds two butts in a minute, really in about 30 seconds but I keep going through it to make sure there is no pieces stuck together.

If I had the metal I would make some and send it to whoever wanted one. I just made a round piece for the base and drilled holes in it where it can be welded on the other side (top). This way it's easier to clean with less tight spaces making it hard to clean.   

It really works quickly, our daughter pulled the first two butts I did and it took her a good while so I started looking for a better way.

Edited by dtel

To use those butt pullers you really have to get the butt done. 200 usually will do it but every once in a while I have to take one to 210 or 215 to get it easy to pull. Meat quality I suspect.

Now I can and do weld stainless all the time. Welding is not the problem. It's coming up with the material for such projects.

Fool proof way to get a downright fall apart pork butt.

Smoke or cook the butt like you normally do and get it as close to 200 as you can. 190 or above should do it. Then wrap the butt in aluminum foil and put it in a crock pot on high for 2 hours. Then you can take two dinner forks and pull that meat apart quicker than you can find that drill contraption. We use this method because my wife takes the butts to work and they have them for lunch there.

Edited by JL Sargent