The Warning Point System

Chad

• Administrators
The Warning System

The Warning Point system gives moderators the ability to "warn" members when they obviously break a rule. Sometimes, we should ban a user - like when someone signs up specifically to spam their links everywhere. Most of the time though, we'll want to assign a warning point, and give a reason for the point given.

Users can see their own warning points and nobody else's. Moderators can see everyone's points.

I've set up some stock warning reasons. Each is worth one point by default, and most will be automatically removed from a user after a period of time (usually 30 days), unless overridden by a moderator. In addition, there are certain actions that automatically take place when a user reaches so many points:

• 10 points: the user's subsequent posts are put in a moderation queue to be approved/denied by moderators for the next 10 days.

• 15 points: the user cannot post at all for the next 10 days.

• 20 points: the user is suspended for 10 days.

• 30 points: the user is suspended permanently (banned).

Those may evolve over time.

I just wanted to inform you all about how we'll be using this from now on. It's a fairly common moderation system that can be effective when used properly. Not to worry, I've informed our moderators that we are to moderate only when truly necessary.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Moderators
Wouldn't a non confrontational PM get your point across just as well?

This guys good B)

i know you can't give warning points for stupidity; but, will you at least issue them for crimes against the english language?

No they don't do that, if they did I would have been out of here years ago.

• Like 1

Chad, I would say two things; your point system is more than generous, and that you are far more patient than me.  I would have made it a FIVE point system, ten at the most.  Anyone who gets banned from this site is trying to get banned.

Thaddeus. 

:P

Edited by wvu80

• Chad unpinned this topic