La Scalas for me! (finally)

cyto

Well I finally got my La Scalas set up and man they are awesome! 1981 black laquer with K-44 woofers.

I am sharing them between my HT and two channel systems via a switch I built. I also replaced the old caps with new ones.

I had always heard that La Scalas lack deep bass but I am not really hearing that. They have great bass, much better than my Heresy's (which are now rears in the HT). Now they don't "deep rumble" and I still use 2 subs in my HT but I no longer use a sub for two channel listening. I have them in a 13 x 23 room in corners on a short wall.

Of course they did not meet the WAF, "too big" etc.. Well after hearing them they are here to stay :D

• Like 1

Of course they did not meet the WAF, "too big" etc.. Well after hearing them they are here to stay :D

They get smaller the longer you own them... Seriously, that's about the same size room I had mine in and after a while, they don't seem big at all.

Bruce

• Like 1

• Moderators
Well after hearing them they are here to stay

Congratulations glad you like them. :emotion-21:

There is a lot of talk about different horns and mods for them but really I like them as designed. Anything can be improved upon but there is also something to be said for a really good original design that's been around for a long time.

They get smaller the longer you own them... Seriously, that's about the same size room I had mine in and after a while, they don't seem big at all. Bruce

Very true, your wife will forget there in the room after a while, overall they really don't even look like a speaker.

Lucky for you, your wife has a good ear(s)!  Some of us aren't so blessed…………..

She really loves Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond, so I put the Wish You Were Here CD in first thing after getting them hooked up.

It worked :wub2:

I got my first pair a month ago. Love em, but I'm having less luck with the bass issue! Need to find a way to get some rich bass without compromising the musical sound.

fastest and least expensive way to get more bass out of a LaScala is The DJK reflex riser mod. You can build this into a riser or you can use the top hat volume to do the same thing. After that if you want more to bad you need to buy a sub. Come on people this is a speaker which start to roll off around 125 Hz Ir is short and has an undersized mouth what in the name of PWK do you expect? there is no such thing as magic. Build a 1/4 pie sub that is about the smallest size with the deepest response which is the easiest sub you can build. Check out Claude J's posts. Best regards Moray James.

She really loves Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond, so I put the Wish You Were Here CD in first thing after getting them hooked up.

Congrats, excellent choice of the cd.

• Moderators

I was thinking excellent choice for wife. :D

• Like 1

I was thinking excellent choice for wife. :D

Well said!

I got my first pair a month ago. Love em, but I'm having less luck with the bass issue! Need to find a way to get some rich bass without compromising the musical sound.

Some preamps and amps just don't work as a system with LaScalas. I was very, very fortunate with my amps, and had great bass from my LS. I am doing the bass reflex mod on a second pair, but they are a ways away from getting finished.

It won't matter if it's SS or tubes, either. Some work well and some don't. If you have some other gear you can try on them or some you can borrow, that is the least expensive first step to resolve the issue.

You can, also, adjust the mid output down a few db. That will make them more balanced, and give an apparent increase in bass.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1