should I buy these K-horns

zipper

Hello and I should start with I have been creeping this site for YEARS. Its time to finally get an account here. I have always found this site to be very informative and genuine.

I did 8 Years of quality audio sales early 80's to early 90's

I have been looking for Heresy or Cornwalls, ya just shopping. And I came across a pair of vintage ?? 1981 possibly Klipschorns.

Serial reads 18w745   w=1981

They look like good condition but pics are not great and cannot get any more pics easily as speakers are in another location in storage and I am 800km away from the seller. 

Seller is asking 1500 CDN dollars for them. and claims fully functional.\

Currently running Bryston and Kef 104/2. Have a spare Bryston 3B for the K-Horns.

many thanks

Chris

post-58838-0-85460000-1408475715_thumb.j

post-58838-0-93540000-1408475723_thumb.j

post-58838-0-40940000-1408475730_thumb.j

• Like 1

Tell the seller you need some better pictures as it will require a road trip on your part. Make a down payment via Pay Pal before you leave on the road trip so the seller won't sell them out from under you. (I've seen it happen before)

Excellent advise.

I would say yes if you have 2 corners.

Welcome either way.

Assuming they check out satisfactory, I would buy them if I only had a round room to put them in. :P

If they were B style (with the collar) and walnut, the price would be a bargain.  OTHO, these are C style (having no collar) and came from the factory as raw birch BR (label is KCBR if I read correctly) and was later stained as shown.   There is only so much beauty in stained birch. 

So the price is not extraordinary.  But I'm sure you'll love the sound.

WMcD

A reasonable room (W x L x H) and a few basic things done acoustically, and you'll be an extremely happy new owner with your amplifiers.

Good luck and best wishes on the success of a new acquisition...

Ok, contacted a friend in the area of the sale to confirm the product (just now), have one email and one call into a freight company for comparison to driving to the seller. Emailed seller my status and requested if he will accept a deposit on the product reliant upon its unseen and untested condition, yet to be determined by the FRIEND in the area (1.5h away)

Many thanks for the input. I now know the value of a used k-horn.

Love the product and the plan is to add a tube amp or a class-A amplifier for them.

chris

thanks for all the comments again 

The problem is going to be the Bryston. Not a match I would care to hear........

Shakey

Look at the bigger picture. At this point do not worry about the amplifier. The speakers will be a huge step up. Buy them and enjoy them. The rest will sort itself out later.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Welcome to the forum!  I went 1100 miles round trip for my Khorns and they cost me $2500 (came with a RSW 15 sub).  I'd do it again in a minute too.  It was worth it.