I'm stumped... I need help!

AccessDenied

So I'm a total noob and need some assistance from the community here...

I've got the most basic setup possible, however I still can't figure out how to maximize my speaker's potential!

I've recently acquired a set of RB-35 bookshelf speakers and have set them up to my VSX-822 receiver.  The receiver is a 5.1 channel, however I only have these two speakers and my dad took back his DOGG floor speakers...

Anyways, I currently have them Bi-wired (at least I think so?) to the L and R on the receiver.  There are still 3 open ports for a center and 2 surround... 

The back of the RB-35s have dual binding posts.
I'm currently at work but found this picture on Google that is exactly how I have mine setup currently:

[see attached]

So am I best off with this setup? The single wire essentially comes from the L output of the receiver, and splits to both binding posts on the speaker... Same for the R speaker.

Or should I run a separate wire from the L to the bottom or top binding post, then a separate wire from the L surround to the bottom or top binding post?

I figured that would be too much power to the speaker and damage my goods...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I can take better pictures when I get home if needed!

Thanks guys!

BTW, I know I probably need more speakers in my setup... I'm saving up for a Klipsch center, but just graduated college and money is tight right now so speakers are last on my list unfortunately

post-58778-0-23660000-1408550679_thumb.p

Edited by AccessDenied

No need to bi-wire.  Run one set to the speakers and leave the binding post jumpers on. 

Woah, thanks for such a quick response!

So the speakers don't have jumpers? I got them used so maybe they were removed?

Is there an alternative, or is what I currently have (updated post with a picture above) sufficient?

Be sure to set the receiver so it doesn't look for a sub.

Sorry again, I'm very new to this...

So I setup the receiver to Stereo ALC because it's the loudest... I know that may sound dumb but the receiver at any other setting is extremely quiet. I mean volume at 50% and I barely hear anything but white noise (fuzzy sounds) and some vocals when listening to music.

I know I probably need to add speakers and a sub to acquire the desired sound I want.. But I feel like the 2-channel setup shouldn't be this quiet!

Be sure to set the receiver so it doesn't look for a sub.

Sorry again, I'm very new to this...

So I setup the receiver to Stereo ALC because it's the loudest... I know that may sound dumb but the receiver at any other setting is extremely quiet. I mean volume at 50% and I barely hear anything but white noise (fuzzy sounds) and some vocals when listening to music.

I know I probably need to add speakers and a sub to acquire the desired sound I want.. But I feel like the 2-channel setup shouldn't be this quiet!

try it in stereo mode.

Keep the AVR setting on stereo, direct, etc.  Keep it off the Surround modes and you should get full power just to the mains. I would pick up some clips for the speaker terminals off of Ebay.  Bi-wiring is a waste of time IMO, and could be putting your AVR in a lower ohm factor which will just raise the distortion of the internal amplifier.

Go to page 47 in the manual.  Select Large for the speaker.  This should turn off the crossover.  Select No for subwoofer.  This should send a full signal to your speakers.  Take some time and go through the manual, there's a lot of good information in there.

• Like 1

• Moderators

These guys have provided you with accurate info.  Klipsch speakers often have a "jumper" that connects the HF to the LF section of the speaker terminals.  Speaker wire can be used to do the same thing with no negative effects other than cosmetic.

Here is what the klipsch jumpers typically look like.  As you can see, they are doing the exact thing as what you have on your RB-35's.  Copper is Copper whether it's wire or a solid bar.

rf-52-cherry-backjacks.jpg

Look for the RC-35 used.  It can be had for $100 or less.  Even an RC-3 would likely sound great with it even though I believe it has the black dustcap. 

• Moderators

And welcome to the forums and to the Klipsch family.  You will find that you are able to build your system over time and if you are patient, you can find some REALLY great deals on used gear, especially from Craigslist.  ;)

Go to page 47 in the manual.  Select Large for the speaker.  This should turn off the crossover.  Select No for subwoofer.  This should send a full signal to your speakers.  Take some time and go through the manual, there's a lot of good information in there.

This is good info... Unfortunately I bought the receiver as a display model a few years back for only 30% of the ticket price... So with a great steal, I also didn't get a manual or remote. So programming the settings on this thing is nearly impossible.

I've got it set to Direct and Stereo ALC.

It sounds okay, but It will have to do for now until my wallet supports the idea of a new receiver.

This is good info... Unfortunately I bought the receiver as a display model a few years back for only 30% of the ticket price... So with a great steal, I also didn't get a manual or remote. So programming the settings on this thing is nearly impossible.

I've got it set to Direct and Stereo ALC.

It sounds okay, but It will have to do for now until my wallet supports the idea of a new receiver.

That being said, I have a copy of the manual I downloaded online. But I cannot do much without the remote.

I've found remotes for about 50$ online, but it's not worth it to me right now.  Still deciding whether 5.1 is enough for me to max out... I don't think I need 7 speakers lol, at least not now in my life.

Edited by AccessDenied