50th Anniversary K-Horn cross over dead, who to fix it?

cayenne

Hello all,

I have a pair of 50th Anniversary K-Horns. They survived Katrina in New Orleans, (in upper floor, so no water or damage from that).

However, the rats during the flood...did seem to have taken a shine to the wires on some of my stereo equipment, apparently the crossover of the Khorns too. 

I played them for quite a while and they worked...but at a point, I started hearing hum..almost 60 cycle stuff...and eventually they just went out.

I looked and the crossover area, the transformers look chewed up, missing covering, and multiple components look in bad shape.

I'd contacted Klipsch in Hope assuming I could get them serviced there, but apparently they don't service their own goods?!?!  I was shocked.

They advised me to check the forums and that someone here could recommend to me whom to contact to get them fixed. I have the crossover unit detached (a friend of mine with tools helped). I could ship it somewhere but need a reputable repair contact if anyone knows of one.

Thanks in advance...I really miss my tunes!!!

Cayenne

Test your receiver first, a crossover should not cause a 60hz hum, replace your inner connects also

you can go on amazon and buy a 20.00 digital amp hook up to an ipod and check your speakers also

first step is to determine if it is actually the crossovers

Edited by joessportster

Test your receiver first, a crossover should not cause a 60hz hum, replace your inner connects also

you can go on amazon and buy a 20.00 digital amp hook up to an ipod and check your speakers also

first step is to determine if it is actually the crossovers

excellent post... in all my haste to suggest Jupiter cap's, I forgot about that.

I seem to think there are some Khorn crossovers for sale in the "my new DeanG" thread although Dean and Bob are great sources (disclosure, I have Dean's)

Pardon my ignorance...but is a crossover not a crossover? I mean...if it is KHorn crossover to spec, what would be a difference between one vs another?

Thanks in advance,

C

I seem to think there are some Khorn crossovers for sale in the "my new DeanG" thread although Dean and Bob are great sources (disclosure, I have Dean's)

Pardon my ignorance...but is a crossover not a crossover? I mean...if it is KHorn crossover to spec, what would be a difference between one vs another?

Thanks in advance,

C

worms.jpg

• Like 1

If the cost of repair exceeds the cost of this, perhaps more dialogue back here on this thread could generate another option that could significantly increase the sound quality of your 50th Anniversary Khorns.

• Like 1

First of all did you get rid of the rats?????

Is not Rat! Is Siberian Hamster!!! the moral of the story is don't do dumb things (any more). Send your crossovers to Bob and get them fixed. Active crossovers would be nice but would also require buying multiple amplifiers and then hooking all of that together. The OP may or may not be up for all of that.

Don't feel bad we all ride the "Stupid Bus" from time to time. Lots of members here on that bus too running 30 - 40 year old amplifiers with caps just waiting to explode and take out their speakers when they go. Happens, I hooked up a 32 year old amp of mine and was amazed at how good it sounded, I ran it for three weeks then gave myself a smack and switched it out of the system because it did not seem to be sounding as good as it had. Got inside and found the main filter caps getting gooey. That was close. I did stupid and I almost got stupid back I was very lucky with that one. I hope that readers here get the message from your misfortune to not do likewise that would help soften the blow if you could help save another from the same fate. Best regards Moray James.

If the cost of repair exceeds the cost of this, perhaps more dialogue back here on this thread could generate another option that could significantly increase the sound quality of your 50th Anniversary Khorns.

My, my, that's a nice piece, right up my active crossover kister. maybe looking into one of those someday.

Well, I see folks have started on the "replace the crossover" theme. Enough said.

As one person pointed out above, if you have 60 cycle hum it is very unlikely that the crossover is the problem. Get the the crossover back to working condition if there any shorts or loose connections due to the rodents. Then swap in a (borrowed) working receiver and check things out. The hum should be gone at this point.

Good luck and enjoy your K-Horns. Even with stock crossovers they should sound very nice. Enjoy them.

-Tom

BTW, if you phoned Klipsch and clearly explained the situation, they should have been able to give you some trouble shooting advice. If the person you spoke to was unwilling or unable to help I would insist on talking to someone else.

Edited by PrestonTom