Khorn placement questions...

Shakeydeal

I have more questions.

How would you describe the imaging/soundstaging capabilities of the klipschorn? I very much like the imaging I achieve with my cornscalas spread as far apart as the room allows and ~6ft. from the wall behind them. What can I expect with Khorns loaded into the corners of a 15 ft. wide room?

Thanks,

Shakey

How would you describe the imaging/soundstaging capabilities of the klipschorn?...What can I expect with Khorns loaded into the corners of a 15 ft. wide room?

Outstanding and unsurpassed--if you get the room acoustics right...http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/Corner_Horn_Imaging_FAQ

My room is 15.5 feet [4.72 metres] wide, and that's a pretty good compromise maximum width without really needing a center fill speaker (like a Belle or La Scala).  I believe that 18-20 feet [5.5-6.1 metres] is about the maximum spread before you begin to need the center speaker--unless you do some more surgery on the room acoustics (i.e., clean front and side walls, high ceiling, good carpet, nothing reflective between the speakers such as equipment racks and TVs, etc.).

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Keep em coming guys, all good info.

Tell me the good and the bad of the AK-2 crossover. That's what these have.

Shakey

The AK-2 has a 2-3 db drop on the mid. Its short stint was followed by the AK-3 where they returned the mid output to the original level.  In time,  you're going to want to replace whatever X-over you get, unless you get some that are relatively new.

I have more questions.

How would you describe the imaging/soundstaging capabilities of the klipschorn? I very much like the imaging I achieve with my cornscalas spread as far apart as the room allows and ~6ft. from the wall behind them. What can I expect with Khorns loaded into the corners of a 15 ft. wide room?

Thanks,

Shakey

If you are sitting dead center, on tweeter axis, the imaging will be wonderful ... off axis, not so much, unless you have a center channel (a good center would be a Belle or, better yet, La Scala II).

In my mind, imaging is not as important as other qualities that Khorns do wonderfully well, like dynamics, effortlessness, transient response, low modulation distortion, etc.