Trumpet buying guide for an 11 year old 6th grader

The Dude

My daughter was told playing the trumpet in the school band would be best as she seemed to be able to make noise with the mouth piece.  I remember being told that as well in 6th grade, I just never stuck with it.  Anyways, we are looking for a used trumpet.  I need thoughts on what to look for, is there a brand, style, etc.. or what to make sure I don't get.  I have seen some used ones out there from the 40-400 dollar range.  Any recommendations. 

Thanks

I'll state the obvious.  Buy the cheapest one you can find........used.  In a year she may decide she hates it and never pick it up again.  If she has a knack or passion for it, you'll know and can look for something a little nicer.  Some school bands even have loaners.

• Like 1

I'll state the obvious.  Buy the cheapest one you can find........used.  In a year she may decide she hates it and never pick it up again.  If she has a knack or passion for it, you'll know and can look for something a little nicer.  Some school bands even have loaners.

mmm, there is iron in your words.

• Haha 1

I used to own a trumpet player! (pictured in my avatar)  I can guide you, my friend. 

First of all, congratulations on having a daughter with some musical ability.  There are a LOT of studies showing the correlation between playing music and intelligence.  The skills required to play music develops all parts of the brain.

Buy Used:  No matter how responsible your daughter is, accidents happen.  This first trumpet will be dropped, dinged and dented, and there is not much you can do about it.  Six to nine hundred is not a bad price for a decent used trumpet, I would not go under $200 unless there is some kind of special deal.

Buy a brand name:  I would suggest Bach or Yamaha.  Parts are readily available, nearly any music store can fix them.  My son had a used Bach TR-200 I purchased for about $600 off Ebay.  Because Bach holds its value when he moved to a better horn I sold it for $800.  Don't be afraid to put some money into the horn, because the brand names hold their value at resale time.  Other good names are King, Getzen.  There are others, let me know if you have specific questions.

Buy a Student Model: To be more specific, don't buy a high-end professional model.  The pro models like the Yamaha Xeno is thinner for a more brilliant sound, but it dents easier.  The student models are heavier and the sound is just a bit darker.  The Bach TR-200 has a more robust build (extra bracing and thicker metal), but it is virtually the same design as the high-end Bach Stradivarius aka "Bach Strad."

Silver plated vs Lacquer (gold or yellow looking):  Either is fine.  The silver plated horns usually cost a bit more, but the differences in the sound (dark=lacquer vs bright) is so subtle and will make no difference whatsoever from now until high school.  We bought a silver plated Bach because my son thought it looked "cool."  Do not rule out the "cool" factor when a 6th grader is figuring out what they like.

Do NOT buy a Chinese trumpet from Ebay:  These are pure junk, they play out of tune, and after buying one, it will fall apart, no one can get parts to fix them.  After you throw it away you will still have to buy a trumpet for your daughter.  These include ANY trumpet with color, red, purple, etc,  Don't be deceived by the names "pro"  or "band approved."

130815174950_2.jpg

Buy a gig bag:  Save the good factory case, the nice case will add to the re-sale value when the time comes. It will also be better for the trumpet to have your daughter carry a heavily padded case with a shoulder strap.  She will be bringing the horn home from school every day and on weekends so she can practice every day for 30-45 minutes.

m-xZFJyUz40zgywiHqkGoMA.jpg

Mouthpiece size:  Most band directors will start beginners out with a 7-C.  This has a small bore and makes it easier to play.  If your daughter can handle it, start her out with a 3-C.  It is a medium bore with a rim that is wide and comfortable, and it is considered a more advanced MP.  My son used a 3-C immediately because he liked it more than the 7-C, and he used it through HS without ever having to learn on two MP's.  The 3-C needs more air to go through it, but the sound is fatter and more symphonic like.  A 1-C is very large and would never be used by a beginner.

Mouthpiece type:  There are two kinds, silver plated and gold plated. 

mY2RVE3RMu-JBVQWaBesIAQ.jpg

Both are fine, it's personal preference.  The gold plated has a different "feel" on the lip to the player, and is almost always preferred.  I would suggest buying new, since girls don't like having something that was in someone else's mouth. 

The terms "3-C, 7-C" are Bach's designations and are almost universally used by others.  If you come across another brand's model number, there is a chart that will cross-over that company's name to the size in Bach.  Bach is the #1 standard, also good are Yamaha and premium would be Schilke.

The Ultimate Trumpet Mouthpiece Comparison Chart

The US Army Band has fantastic musical training videos, and your band director can get the original CD for free by asking the Army for it.

Here is the video on You Tube.  It should be required viewing for any student, AND band parent.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

My younger son came to us and told us he wanted to play trumpet. We knew right off he had a passion for it, and the whole family grew with his experiences. We homeshcooled, and he soon found himself involved with the homeschool band, and ended up playing first the Chattanooga Youth Symphony. He did the same at Valparaiso U., where he studied music.

All of his instruments were purchased used.

Don't know where he got the inspiration to play trumpet, as the rest of the family plays guitars and keyboards.

Encourage all the time and help out as much as you can.

Bruce

• Like 1

I am all about cheap used, and renting. Though my thought was I wouldn't mind having a trumpet around the house to dabble with. I think buying a good used one wouldn't be a bad choice as long as it meets some of wvu's guidelines.

My daughter has been playing the recorder for 2 years, she was excited about band. Her first 2 choices where flute and trumpet. She seems excited about the trumpet.

I hope she sticks with it as it could be a great experience.

Her first 2 choices where flute and trumpet
Trumpet would be better... although harder to listen to sometimes.

My son used a Yamaha Silent Brass, a mute with a microphone and electronics so you can hear in a more normal fashion without killing everyone else. Their newest version seems to be a lot better than the one he used (about 10 or so years ago), although they are all pricey.

Bruce

If you were getting a trombone I could be specific on model numbers but...

In my experience there is a lot of junk on the market, new and used. The latest junk in Chinese, but there is a lot of older U.S. junk out there as well. You want to start someone on a instrument that is as easy to play as possible and is not causing issues. The only company making decent student model trombones is Yamaha, and I am sure this extends to their trumpets as well. A used Yamaha Bb student model is money well spent, and you can probably get your money back out of it if needed.  Be prepared that any used instrument is going to require a little work to fix a few things, so factor in an additional $50 or so into whatever price you pay (though you may get lucky). I would also recommend buying a new mouthpiece (Bach is a good brand for this), ask the band director to suggest the size. There is nothing worse than trying to play a mouthpiece with bad plating and a messed up/dented shank.

In my experience there is a lot of junk on the market, new and used. The latest junk in Chinese, but there is a lot of older U.S. junk out there as well. You want to start someone on a instrument that is as easy to play as possible and is not causing issues. The only company making decent student model trombones is Yamaha, and I am sure this extends to their trumpets as well. A used Yamaha Bb student model is money well spent, and you can probably get your money back out of it if needed.  Be prepared that any used instrument is going to require a little work to fix a few things, so factor in an additional $50 or so into whatever price you pay (though you may get lucky). I would also recommend buying a new mouthpiece (Bach is a good brand for this), ask the band director to suggest the size. There is nothing worse than trying to play a mouthpiece with bad plating and a messed up/dented shank.

Obviously, nothing to disagree with here!  :)  I'd like to pull some of your quote:

"I would also recommend buying a new mouthpiece (Bach is a good brand for this), ask the band director to suggest the size."

I agree, the band teacher on the local level is best able to make that recommendation.  My son started with a larger mouthpiece, but that is what worked best for him, and what he felt comfortable with.  My son was an athlete, had great lungs, and it was no problem for him to push more air through a slightly larger MP.  Your daughter might have thinner or larger lips, pushing air might be new to her, so what worked for my son might not work a smaller girl.

Buying a MP locally might be a better idea for a first mouthpiece.  Go to your local music store and let your daughter try out different mouthpieces and see what works best for her, what is comfortable for her.  She may have thinner lips or whatever, and a different MP we haven't even mentioned here might be a better fit for her.  Music store salesmen are often ex-band directors, so finding some expert opinion in the store is likely.

Kids this age often get braces, which makes them alter the way they play their instrument.  It is possible to get a MP with a wider rim that is more comfortable.  There are people who do this for a living who can give you personal guidance and help your daughter find the best fit for her.

TROMBONE PROF:  Do you have an opinion about the new plastic or Lexan mouth piece's?  I don't know anything about them.

kmtrumpet_small__22968.1405346438.1280.1

Canadian Brass web site

Edited by wvu80

I agree with wvu80 - but for sure would use Bach.  I have two myself (one used - Brass, one new - Silver) and they both handle a lot better than any others that I've tried in the past.  They're also fairly reasonably priced new or used.  My recommendation is going Brass for a beginner.

Obviously, nothing to disagree with here!  :)  I'd like to pull some of your quote:

"I would also recommend buying a new mouthpiece (Bach is a good brand for this), ask the band director to suggest the size."

I agree, the band teacher on the local level is best able to make that recommendation.  My son started with a larger mouthpiece, but that is what worked best for him, and what he felt comfortable with.  My son was an athlete, had great lungs, and it was no problem for him to push more air through a slightly larger MP.  Your daughter might have thinner or larger lips, pushing air might be new to her, so what worked for my son might not work a smaller girl.

Buying a MP locally might be a better idea for a first mouthpiece.  Go to your local music store and let your daughter try out different mouthpieces and see what works best for her, what is comfortable for her.  She may have thinner lips or whatever, and a different MP we haven't even mentioned here might be a better fit for her.  Music store salesmen are often ex-band directors, so finding some expert opinion in the store is likely.

Kids this age often get braces, which makes them alter the way they play their instrument.  It is possible to get a MP with a wider rim that is more comfortable.  There are people who do this for a living who can give you personal guidance and help your daughter find the best fit for her.

TROMBONE PROF:  Do you have an opinion about the new plastic or Lexan mouth piece's?  I don't know anything about them.

kmtrumpet_small__22968.1405346438.1280.1

Canadian Brass web site

I actually own a couple. They are really just toys because of the sound difference, but if you are playing outside in the cold they are way more comfortable than a cold brass mouthpiece. I like the feel of plastic and actually use a custom made heavy brass mouthpiece with a plastic rim from Greg Black.

I have worked as a brass instrument technician and manager in a retail music store for the past 18 years. A few important points to stress:

You get what you pay for. The cheapest trumpet will play poorly, sound bad, and be difficult to obtain service locally. Do NOT buy anything new from eBay. Failure is a promise with off-brand instruments, parts are not available, and resale value is close to zero.

Stick with real name brands, but keep in mind, they're not all the same. Many newer student models are a small jump above toy-grade junk, made in China, right alongside off-brands. The old replacement parts do not fit many of these newer import models, which often use old American brand names.

DO NOT RENT. It's a rip-off. Not only does it cost $200-300 per school season, but it's a psychological setup for failure. It implies a temporary condition, where commitment is optional. Your student cannot show pride of ownership over something he/she does not own. Let them help pick out their own instrument, even if they don't understand what they need yet. They will show more dedication if it's THEIR choice, and they will take better care of it. TRUST ME on this one. I've been in this game for a LONG time.

If you rent-to-own, you will end up paying nearly double-price by the time you pay off your instrument. You might as well mortgage it with your credit card.

If you consider Yamaha, be sure to examine the valve pistons for plating bubbles and pits. It's a common problem that plagues many of their student models.

Gig bags, as suggested by someone above, are a nightmare for band students. Technicians call them "dent bags" for a reason. Stick with a good hard case, and avoid anything that has a zipper. Many of these newer instruments have junk fabric-sided cases, and they have no real shell. They crush if you sit on them, and they fray if they get dragged around.

Mouthpiece is not critical at this point. Most student horns include a 7C, but many teachers recommend upgrading to a 3C. Stick with real name brand pieces like Bach.

Trumpet model recommendations:

King 600, 601 (USA)

Bundy (older USA, new "Bundy BTR300" is Chinese)

Bach TR300 (student USA), TR200 (semi-high-end USA)

Getzen 300 series USA, 700 series (semi-high-end)

Yamaha YTR2320 (old), YTR2335 (newer)

Call me anytime.

Chad

Music Go Round

Ann Arbor, MI

(734) 662-1080

cell (5I7) 442-5OO6

• Like 1

DO NOT RENT. It's a rip-off. Not only does it cost $200-300 per school season, but it's a psychological setup for failure. It implies a temporary condition, where commitment is optional. Your student cannot show pride of ownership over something he/she does not own. Let them help pick out their own instrument, even if they don't understand what they need yet. They will show more dedication if it's THEIR choice, and they will take better care of it. TRUST ME on this one. I've been in this game for a LONG time.

Preach it brother!  My mother bought me my first horn at 9, stepped me up when I was 15, and I played right through high school.  I still do every once in a while now.

My younger son came to us and told us he wanted to play trumpet. We knew right off he had a passion for it, and the whole family grew with his experiences. We homeshcooled, and he soon found himself involved with the homeschool band, and ended up playing first the Chattanooga Youth Symphony. He did the same at Valparaiso U., where he studied music.

All of his instruments were purchased used.

Don't know where he got the inspiration to play trumpet, as the rest of the family plays guitars and keyboards.

Encourage all the time and help out as much as you can.

Bruce

I assume the Homeschool Band consisted of more than just your son?

My first experience with brass was knowing that I wanted to play trombone well before my arm was long enough to reach the end of the slide...

I guess every situation is a little different.  Renting worked out well for us... I wouldn't suggest it for very long... just to get started.

We rented a violin for about 6 or 7 months before I gave my daughter my Great Great Grandmother's violin (a Stainer copy) that is at least 120 years old. Funny that at first she was upset she wasn't getting a "new" violin.  Her violin has a really nice tone and got a lot of compliments from instructors and the violin shop.  She "gets it" now, is taking good care of it, and appreciates how cool it is that she gets to play this family heirloom.  It actually isn't worth a lot in dollars but much more in other ways!

I understand going "all in..."  whatever you do the instrument has to be good enough for the kid to be able make a nice sound.