Trumpet buying guide for an 11 year old 6th grader

The Dude

My younger son came to us and told us he wanted to play trumpet. We knew right off he had a passion for it, and the whole family grew with his experiences. We homeshcooled, and he soon found himself involved with the homeschool band, and ended up playing first the Chattanooga Youth Symphony. He did the same at Valparaiso U., where he studied music.

All of his instruments were purchased used.

Don't know where he got the inspiration to play trumpet, as the rest of the family plays guitars and keyboards.

Encourage all the time and help out as much as you can.

Bruce

I assume the Homeschool Band consisted of more than just your son?

My first experience with brass was knowing that I wanted to play trombone well before my arm was long enough to reach the end of the slide...

The Homeschool Band had about twenty members. There was a beginner band and regular band. The regular band was reasonable, with brass, woodwinds and strings. Many went on to study music in college.

His trumpet teacher, who helped him find his instruments, played in the Chattanooga Symphony and Huntsville (AL) Symphony. He also did studio work in Nashville, and was great for finding good to great quality instruments used. My son never needed any repairs for his. He also has an awesome flugelhorn. I agree with the above, though, that the pride of ownership carries a LOT of weight when the are starting out. Plus getting a good instrument. As a guitarist, I kniw it's really important and I'm sure it's the same for any instrument. If it's hard to play, doesn't sound right and always needs adjustment, you'll give up early.

Bruce

Guys a lot of good info here, sorry its been a while since I have made it back to this thread.  Tomorrow night we go to meet with the band teacher, I am thinking of renting one for the first couple of months.  If she seems to stick with it and enjoy it, I will then purchase her a decent used one 200-400 range.. I don't know if thats enough but it depends what budget will allow.  I will let you know what is to come in the next couple of days. 

Thanks again for the loads of info. 

I started with a used bundy in 3rd grade. Iv had conns, yamahas and others and bottom line I suggest buy a nice not dented "beginner" trumpet used and go from there...I have a cornet and trumpet now although very used and been in family for some years or id send one to you. If you go into the frenchorn section someday hollar...I have a brand new Yamaha in case. Best of luck on hunt...any will work...just go brand name with no dents

• Like 1

My trumpet days were long over by the time i ended up in military school, joined the school band and to this day do not remember what exactly it was i played, if anything !

On another note though, the first day of our band meeting, one of the upper class boys was Tommy Dorseys son, guess what he played?

I had no clue who that was, then i was informed.

Ok here's what I ended up doing. I felt like I was set up, but I think it will work out. The school had a "meet the instrument" night at the school. Turns out there where 3 music stores there pushing their products. They all had the same deal for the most part. Rent to own, it didn't matter if I went new or used. It would have been the same price just less payments. The used ones weren't that much cheaper. My plan is to see if she sticks with it. If she does I will look for a reasonable price on a used one, then give this one back with no strings attached. The company I choose to go through is a local company here in my home town. The other reason is the trumpet they had was a Bach student model.

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, hootriks said:

I'll state the obvious.  Buy the cheapest one you can find........used.  In a year she may decide she hates it and never pick it up again.  If she has a knack or passion for it, you'll know and can look for something a little nicer.  Some school bands even have loaners.

This is the second thread from 2014 that's been resurrected this week.  Something in the water??

8 hours ago, hootriks said:

I'll state the obvious.  Buy the cheapest one you can find........used.  In a year she may decide she hates it and never pick it up again. 

Absolutely not... If I had started guitar with the cheapest I could find, I would have quit in a week. An instrument needs some basic quality to allow oneself glimpses of what may be possible if you put work into it.

Rentals and loaners, though, are a good idea.

It's interesting reading things I've written.

I should have locked this after Boxx's last post.  Not that it matters really. 

On 7/2/2020 at 5:46 AM, DizRotus said:

I think the child is probably playing professionally by now.

Pretty close, still playing and getting ready for college (whatever that looks like).  She has been eyeing schools that have "band" as a class and where marching band isn't really part of it.  Since the trumpet, she has picked up bass and keyboard.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 7/2/2020 at 3:36 AM, hootriks said:

This thread immediately made me remember my university. I was a music student. And all my free time I devoted to music. [Spam link removed by moderator, a term paper writing company? Says a lot about your ethics. You are waisting your time here with the age demographics on this forum]. But I did not play trumpet, I played the piano. So I cannot give here any reasonable suggestions, unfortunately.

@hootriks I deleated your link to the term paper link. Please don't do that again.

On 8/21/2014 at 9:31 AM, Marvel said:

Don't know where he got the inspiration to play trumpet, as the rest of the family plays guitars and keyboards

I can tell where the inspiration NOT to play a certain instrument comes from.  When I was in Jr. High, I wanted to play drums. School was a mile away and carrying that huge case got old real quick.  Told my Dad that I was quitting and he told me that if I was smart I would have chosen to play the spoons. 

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I can tell where the inspiration NOT to play a certain instrument comes from.  When I was in Jr. High, I wanted to play drums. School was a mile away and carrying that huge case got old real quick.  Told my Dad that I was quitting and he told me that if I was smart I would have chosen to play the spoons. 

I thought that your thighs would turn black and blue playing spoons, especially if they were giant spoons.

JJK

• Haha 1