Trumpet buying guide for an 11 year old 6th grader

The Dude

5 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

school is stupid.  if I wanted to play the piano would they expect me to push a piano down the street everyday?

No, they would have expected you to ride on a float, dressed in a sequined outfit of their choice.

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2020 at 2:16 PM, The Dude said:

I should have locked this after Boxx's last post.  Not that it matters really. 

Pretty close, still playing and getting ready for collage (whatever that looks like).  She has been eyeing schools that have "band" as a class and where marching band isn't really part of it.  Since the trumpet, she has picked up bass and keyboard.  

My son was able to avoid marching band, but he majored in music composition. Ended up playing first chair in the Valpo orchestra. Went on a tour of Europe.

She could probably get into a jazz band. A lot of schools have them.

14 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

yeah but they fit in your pocket when you're walking to school ... 10 miles in the snow uphill ... both ways.

Though only a mile each way, I did have to walk up hill both ways in many feet of snow during 3 different winters.  Usually with a massive hole in my shoe as I would use my foot as a brake on my bike when bicycling.  

At my university, band was a class which was marching band in the fall but concert band in the spring.  You didn't have to do both and I was in marching band but not concert band.  I was full time orchestra and jazz ensemble.  I would think it is that way at most universities.  Oh yeah, we also had a percussion ensemble class.  So you can perform as much or as little as you want, but there are minimum requirements as a music major---yet to participate does not require a music major.

• Like 1

The Dude,

Thanks for being a good sport.  I would like to hear about your daughter’s college experience, especially during a pandemic.

Music and the other arts are a very important part of education.  I played alto sax until the conflict with HS football forced a choice.  Our two sons were in band.  We chaperoned band trips to Austria, Hawaii, and other destinations.

Our association with band prompted the senior high director to ask for assistance with the sound system in the practice room.  Refurbished La Scalas with the djk bass mod did the trick.  The middle school band director then asked for help.  Refurbished KP 201s displaced crappy computer speakers.  Hopefully, many generations of students will be exposed to Klipsch through band.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

She did join Jazz Band in middle school and high school for some time, but like most jazz musicians, she hated the structure.  

My opinion here... but I think someone like Wynton Marsalis might disagree. Structure would be the foundation to getting where you want to go. I know there are drummers on here who could say it better, but a guitarist friend of mine who attended Berklee College of music told me about seeing students sitting in practice rooms for hours doing the simplest things over and over and over... They end up being able to play in almost ANY time signature, change in the middle, whatever. They learned structure.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 10:49 AM, Marvel said:

My opinion here... but I think someone like Wynton Marsalis might disagree. Structure would be the foundation to getting where you want to go. I know there are drummers on here who could say it better, but a guitarist friend of mine who attended Berklee College of music told me about seeing students sitting in practice rooms for hours doing the simplest things over and over and over... They end up being able to play in almost ANY time signature, change in the middle, whatever. They learned structure.

Could they handle the Led Zeppelin time structure?

JJK