Can two 904s be combined into one as a center channel? And are they too much for surrounds?

plissken99

I'll make a very long story short, I already have a set of 904s. Dan on the forums has two sets of 904s, either he'll sell me one speaker to use as a center, or a pair depending what he decides. If he sells me the pair, he mentioned wiring them together to create a center channel(basically making a kpt-415 lol). Can that be done and wired to where it'll sound good, or would I be better off using one 904 as the center and trying to find a buyer for the spare 904?

EDIT: Turns out Dan has all the parts to build another 904, just need a cabinet, which I might can build.

Doing the math though, the surround 904s will be 2.5ft from the side seats. Think that might be too much speaker too close?

Edited by plissken99
  • Like 1

Phase issues, lobing, and precious subwoofer real estate all down the drain. Plus do you really think you need two? Lol have you drug one over just to see how it works as a center yet? I'm not sure it gets much better unless you go bigger cinema stuff

I just wonder if it would too boomy, over power the L&R channels or maybe cause phase issues.

Do you have your 904s running? How do you have them hooked up? Do you have the xo version or are you bi amping them with a active xo?

One 904 will be plenty by the way. No reason to try and run two.

Edited by reference_head

I'd only consider it if I end up getting two of them. I'll probably just put the spare channel up for sale.

Dont you have a buddy who needs one also?

Not exactly, it's very complicated. My buddy has 2 pairs of 904s, he wanted one of the pair coming up for sale so we'd both get a center channel, but the pair didn't come up for sale. He would sell me one and use 3 904s across the front, however Bill Hendrix wants to buy a set off him. If he sells a set to Hendrix, he'll sell me the other set and use a pair of Jubilees for mains and a K Horn for the center. So I'm rooting for him not to sell to Bill lol.

I'd only consider it if I end up getting two of them. I'll probably just put the spare channel up for sale.

Not exactly, it's very complicated. My buddy has 2 pairs of 904s, he wanted one of the pair coming up for sale so we'd both get a center channel, but the pair didn't come up for sale. He would sell me one and use 3 904s across the front, however Bill Hendrix wants to buy a set off him. If he sells a set to Hendrix, he'll sell me the other set and use a pair of Jubilees for mains and a K Horn for the center. So I'm rooting for him not to sell to Bill lol.

Hmm. So bills buying another pair. He had just sold his too scrappy. I wonder if he has seller's remorse :rolleyes: ?

Khorn for the center?  That's different....

• Like 1