Fitzmaurice Table Tuba Question--TUBA NOW HOME!

Mr. Clark

Very cool!  How does it sound?

It sounds great! I've tried a variety of music just to see what it can do. Shines on pipe organ music. Sounds great on hip hop. It can FINALLY get that bass string of my favorite jazz trios. Low strings sound great in symphonies. And it definitely makes that ole fashioned rock ROLL!  :lol:

why can't I find this stuff around here... Good job and enjoy!

It was a fluke, honestly. He was also selling a Fitzmaurice THT (built to spec) with a 12" Klipsch driver (8 ohm) for $200. That one had been built to spec. I loved, but didn't need it.

He also sent the following to me:

"I would also agree to sell a set of Hersey speakers at $450 - 1981 (either oak or walnut), and the commercial LaScala - 1980 for $600, or both for $1000.  All crossovers have been updated and the LaScala crossover has been refurbished by Bob Crites, and there's a new Klipsch K-43 industrial aluminum cage woofer directly from Klipsch installed in the LaScala."

Good deals on some updated Heritage line. His stuff was in great shape. Wish I had the scratch! If anyone is in the Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison area, I can put you in touch with him if you're interested. He's a really nice guy--very talented. Walked me through everything!

Yeah, yeah. He only wanted to sell me it if I bought the tuba, too. If i had taken the THT without it, it would have been $250 and I would have had to have found a more powerful amp for it. My thought was $100 all inclusive was enough of a steal. If any of you are around here and are interested in an unfinished THT with a massive driver, PM me.

The sound is rich and very musical. Not too boomy, but you can get it there with the gain if you want it to. I had a velodyne f-1200 (12" driver self powered) hooked up prior and it just wasn't doing it for me. It's a great sub for home theater, but it wasn't getting the musicality of my kind of music. It also blends really well with the Scalas whereas the velodyne sounded pretty removed--so much so that it almost sounded like it was lagging. My girlfriend noticed it, unsolicited, which was reason enough for me to move on. I'll be selling the velodyne soon to cover the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all--I had posted on the Fitzmaurice forum, without too many responses. Most people said just give it a try.

I drove to Wisconsin yesterday and met a very nice guy who likes these kinds of projects. He had a BEAUTIFUL set of Belle Klipsch in teak, Khorns, Scalas, and 3 pairs of Heresys all being driven at the same time from different parts of the room. I listened to his THT and Tuba Table and they sounded spectacular. The modification makes very little difference to my untrained ear, so I purchased it at a healthy discount.

D2hrmLI.jpg

The Tuba Table is now home! It's in need of veneering, which will be my next "to do" project. I'll have to work on the placement, too (as you can see).

I picked up the sub, driver, and a 240W Dayton amp (all boxes and manuals included) for $100! He just wanted to make room for building other projects.

Anyway, it finally rounded out the base problem I was having with these Scalas and I'm thrilled to have it here. (Not sure the neighbors are thrilled, though!  :P )

Does the access cut out not have it's cover? I see no place to secure it. If you're not covering the access cut out you're losing pressure and the sub isn't going to perform as well. It has to be 100% air tight to function properly.

The horn path needs to be airtight.

Pressure in the horn path keeps the driver in check.

Firing into a corner or wall is best but it works fine without also.

The Table Tuba can be built with a airtight driver enclosure.

Edited by jason str

Yes, I know. Same idea with the THT. But, the THT requires the access panel have a cover. I have my THT firing into a corner, placed exactly 18" away from the front wall. I'm asking why it doesn't require an airtight driver enclosure. I really would like to know. If it doesn't, maybe I'll build 2 of these instead of another THT. No access panel cover would make building this a little easier.

Yes, I know. Same idea with the THT. But, the THT requires the access panel have a cover.

The THT is not the same design, the THT driver enclosure and horn path needs to be airtight or loss of performance will result.

I have my THT firing into a corner, placed exactly 18" away from the front wall.

You can experiment with this too.

I'm asking why it doesn't require an airtight driver enclosure. I really would like to know.

Throat pressure, horn length & tuning. Bill may have a more detailed explanation but this is my understanding.

If it doesn't, maybe I'll build 2 of these instead of another THT. No access panel cover would make building this a little easier.

The access panel is not that big of deal, do not let it influence your decision.