Klipsch, if you make a new RSW-15 or better....

Shodrewken

I knew the gentleman who designed the RSW-10d and RT-10d/12d woofers and passive radiators, and originated the triangular subwoofer concept, Deon Bearden (no longer with us). He based the triangular subs on his own DIY home subwoofer -- he was a sort of "extreme" hobbyist.

However, he told me he was never quite satisfied with the RSW-10d and RT models because their amps weren't brawny enough to give the drivers all that they could withstand. He would rather have seen them powered with 1000 watts.

It seems to me like Klipsch is missing the kind of home theater hardware that satisfies today's home theater buffs. While it's sort of a niche market (high end home theater speakers for installation or DIY), this sort of "prosumer" gear would fill the hole between the existing consumer gear and the professional cinema gear. I think that the best way to integrate prosumer gear into the line would be to add smaller models to the existing pro cinema lineup, then allow dealers for Klipsch's home products to carry a limited selection of the pro gear for installation into serious home cinemas including those smaller models. The THX Ultra2 speakers are nice, but they are still "consumer" gear for sale through boutique high end audio/HT stores, not true "prosumer". For Prosumer gear, you try to build a pro product in the form factor demanded by a home application, and fill it with all the pro features and performance you can. Prosumer gear is low volume (and should be built in Hope AK) but high-margin.

Edited by Taterworks
  • Like 1

I knew the gentleman who designed the RSW-10d and RT-10d/12d woofers and passive radiators, and originated the triangular subwoofer concept, Deon Bearden (no longer with us). He based the triangular subs on his own DIY home subwoofer -- he was a sort of "extreme" hobbyist.

Thanks for the cool information about the origin of the RSW-10d and RT subs.

However, he told me he was never quite satisfied with the RSW-10d and RT models because their amps weren't brawny enough to give the drivers all that they could withstand. He would rather have seen them powered with 1000 watts.

While wonderful for music as designed, they could benefit from more powerful amps for HT applications.  Maybe even servo controlled to keep distortion down.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

If you really like the RSW-15, I urge you to try the new R-115SW. It will go toe to toe with the elder beast. I would even say it sounds better in a musical sense.

I am biased though as I was completely entrenched in all the new subwoofers released this fall. This coming from a person that owns two "modified" RSW-15s.

To answer the original thread title, I will respond by saying "we are listening to your cries". :)

If you really like the RSW-15, I urge you to try the new R-115SW. It will go toe to toe with the elder beast. I would even say it sounds better in a musical sense.

I am biased though as I was completely entrenched in all the new subwoofers released this fall. This coming from a person that owns two "modified" RSW-15s.

To answer the original thread title, I will respond by saying "we are listening to your cries". :)

What "mods" did you do to your RSW-15?

What "mods" did you do to your RSW-15?

Myself and one other individual built from scratch 3 new RSW-15s, and modified a 4th unit. They started life as 100% identical copies of production units. After verification, it was time to make a modification to the electronics. This was an experiment to see just how far the original design could be pushed. I would say this modification if left at full throttle for extended periods could break things. 

I've got two of them. For movies, they crank out more sound than we can handle to be honest.

I would still like to see a pro-sumer offering though, something revolving around high power and long-throw 18's.

Now that is interesting....At the time of the RSW-15's introduction they were considered to be one of the most musical subs on the market--If the R-115SW can accomplish that at half the price then that IS an accomplishment.

I would be interested in hearing any other RSW-15 owners who upgrade to the R-115SW opinions. That really seems like it could give those ID companies a run for their money!  

You guys should really get a listen to the new R-11xSW subs. They are a brand new design from the ground up. Nothing is shared between these and the previous SW line.

I feel very confident these will hold their own pound for pound in the price point across the market. They sound really good! 

If we ever get a store locally that carries Reference II again, I might do that.  Until then though, I'll continue to look for an RSW or RT model instead.

I understand where you are coming from and I wouldn't let my RSW-15 go for less than $600. that said, Even then I would be concerned of the availability of the amp/preamp for these models. I see that Klipsch has the R-115SW online at $899 with free shipping and a 30 day money back guarantee. I gather you would have to pay return shipping if you didn't want to keep it, but if what Jay says is true you would also have a 2 year warranty if it lived up to what he claims.  

Btw, not trying to convince you either way--just thinkin' out loud. B)

Edited by tkdamerica

• Moderators
Having both the RSW-12 and RSW-15 in working order I'm really not in the market for a sub but definitely would be curious if someone owned the RSW-15 and needed a second sub to hear their opinion.

I told Chad if he wanted to send me one, I am available to do some direct A/B comparison between the RSW-15 and the R-115SW including the typical photo comparison but I don't think he's interested. :lol:

• Like 1