Dead receiver?

Chad

Would have been a whole lot easier to just put a compression tester on it. :P

Thanks, dad.  :rolleyes:

I call you "dad" because that's exactly how my father talked to me, after I had done something stupid.  After I fell out of a tree when I was a kid, I thought I broke my arm.  My brother went running and found my dad, who immediately came out to where I was and saw me lying on the ground, writhing in pain, crying that my arm was broke.  My dad took one look at me, assessed the situation, then asked me calmly; "what were you doing in the tree?"

Thanks, Dad.

You know how us old farts got so smart ?

Because we probably made similar mistakes and learned from them so don't feel bad.

I'm sure your father means well, we are after all human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Was definately working last time I used it and I've never had any issues whatsoever. It had to have been dropped along the way, just weird no obvious signs of mishandling, like a dent in the box or something! Have NO problems with a refund. Sent you a message Chad.

• Like 1

"You know how us old farts got so smart ?

Because we probably made similar mistakes and learned from them so don't feel bad."

I'm sure your father means well, we are after all human and do make mistakes from time to time.   

Dad would "Let me work on my projects until I was stumped"

Go get dad, and he would help me through the 'stumped area.'  Then  he would go back into the house until the next time I was stumped. Process repeated.  I think this helped me learn to think.

I did the same with my little sister and her boyfriend.  Took a while but they got the generator in the 58 chev changed in the end.

Edited by Taz

• Administrators

The only thing that indicates possible poor handling during shipping is a couple cracks in the styrofoam. But the box wasn't dented or anything.

Regardless, we are going to try a claim w/FedEx before considering a refund.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Nope, he used all the original packaging (ALL the original packaging), along with some added bubble wrap to fill air gaps and keep things like the microphone and remote from jostling around. Upon further inspection of the box, there is a small indentation on one of the corners - obviously not huge otherwise I would've seen it sooner. 

The only thing that indicates possible poor handling during shipping is a couple cracks in the styrofoam. But the box wasn't dented or anything.

Regardless, we are going to try a claim w/FedEx before considering a refund.

Keep us informed as to how well this fedex claim works out, i use UPS and working with them is a *****, only had to do it once so far.

• Administrators

The only info I've found on a "reset" for the 8001 is the multi + speaker a/b button trick, which wouldn't work in this situation (I still tried) because in this case it's not even turning on to standby. 

Is there a different thing for a "hard reset"?

Just looked through the manual and other than the reset you tried, the hard reset or reboot is leaving unit unplugged for at least 3 minutes so, looks like you have tried everything within reason,except:

I would try using a rubber hammer while plugged in to see if you can get standby light back on. Just very gentle lovetaps to various spots.

Thinking you would not do this but...to each his own.

I would try using a rubber hammer while plugged in to see if you can get standby light back on. Just very gentle lovetaps to various spots. Thinking you would not do this but...to each his own.

In the automotive field it's called a tap test (seriously).  You can pin point intermittent issues in modules sometimes using that method.  You can wake up dead modules or put live ones to sleep.  You just can't be aggressive.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just very gentle lovetaps to various spots.

I kinda did that once with my hand... Felt like the world's worst Fonz. (because it didn't work)  <_<

So Chad does it have a detachable power cord? Have you tried a different one? On my marantz SR7007 the standby led comes on as soon as it is plugged in.

It does have a detachable cord. Haven't tried another one yet, but as I mentioned in the OP, the standby light did come on the first time I plugged it in. Now it won't. 

It's quite a bummer... because I have these beautiful brand new Jamo C 809 towers sitting in my living room. Lovely to look at, but they are way too quiet right now (as in, silent).

Anyway, it'll all work out one way or another.

IV HAD MORE MARANTZ RECIEVERS THAN I CAN REMEMBER. IF IT READS PROTECTION MODE THEN ITS BEEN SHORTED INTERNALLY OR MORE LIKELY EXTERNALLY USUALLY BY WAY OF SPEAKER WIRE TERMINALS NEG&POS WIRES SHORTING THE RECIEVERS POWER INTO PROTECTION MODE. REGARDLESS THIS IS AN ISSUE ONLY MARANTZ CAN FIX I CAN LET YOU KNOW WITH 100% CERTAINTY.

• Administrators

holy crap.

I just tried a different power cord and it powered up.

That is a first for me.

I'm a little in shock. So I'll just say for now...thanks!

Let's hope that was the only issue.

• Like 5