family photos...

Marvel

I've started the difficult task of scanning old family photos. So many of them aren't even labeled, of course because the family who had them knew who everyone was. Still, it's interesting to go through them.

This is from the '30s... , with my uncle's 2nd grade class.

post-5045-0-99560000-1408768889_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

Blowing that Pic up full size reveals some interesting looks on those kids.

Almost None are smiling, most have the same haircut, most of those kids in the Pic could make big bucks in Hollywood looking like that.

Boy you talk about hard times, you can see a hard life written all over their faces.

I think i have a few of these floating around the hard drive somewhere.

• Like 2

Blowing that Pic up full size reveals some interesting looks on those kids. Almost None are smiling, most have the same haircut,

Funny you say that.  Most vintage(pre 50's) portrait photos show very few smiles, even from the uber wealthy.

J. P. Gettty

$_35.JPG

J.D. Rockefeller

6d619b912f86ea664e287cd8f86fa1f1.jpg

Edited by willland
  • Like 2

where was that class pic taken?
It was taken in Villa Grove, Illinois. That's about 20 miles south of Champaign-Urbana. Flat, flat, flat!!! Farmers, most of them. My grandfather had been a farmer and started working on the railroad. The Illinois Central RR had a repair facility in Villa Grove when he started. When the closed it down in the 50s, he had to drive up to Champaign-Urbana to work every day.

41 kids? And we complain about class sizes. :unsure:
Yes, but that's the whole 2nd grade.  ;)
  • Like 1

I just sent a birthday card to my older brother, three years older... Had this picture of the two of us with boxing gloves on... On the inside I put a picture of our dad and his brother with boxing gloves on. The one of dad and uncle is probably from the early 1930s.

post-5045-0-38640000-1408837471_thumb.jp

post-5045-0-76800000-1408837486_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel

Good question... but I don't know the answer. Looks like you might be right, though. I've got lots of photos to scan. A lot of them are studio photos, and the quality is outstanding.

The larger problem is the large number I have with no description on them, Have no clue in some cases, although some sleuthing has helped figure out who some of he ancestors are in these pics, While I still have my wits about me, I'm trying to figure them out.

Great grandparents on my father's mother's side. John Randolph Parrish passed away in 1924, his wife Martha two years later.

Great photo.....

It amazes me how, within a couple of generations, we went from these tiny houses to three and four bedroom homes. Huge by their standards. I don't know if they would be impressed or disgusted.

A quick story that almost answers your question. My present home has a driveway that is 1/2 mile long. My house is 3 bedroom and 2 1/2 bath so not that big. My grandfather came to my house in 1990 and look a long look around. Then after several minutes of quiet he said. "you the caretaker here?". True story. My Mother quickly piped up "no Daddy, Jeff lives here". "Naw", he said. "don't need a place this big".

I wonder what that apparatus is sitting beside the house, a pedal type sharpening wheel perhaps?

Prototype NordicTrack?

Bruce-

Great photos.

I ran across the attached photo while Google searching for something unrelated.

It shows my paternal grandfather who was, apparently, a Masonic officer in Odenton, MD in 1923, when he would have been approximately 27. He's clearly older than 27 at the time the photo was taken. He worked for the Pennsylvania RR. He could build or fix anything.

EDIT: 12/20/2015

Photos deleted to free up server space.

Edited by DizRotus