Subwoofer phase

hydro_pyro

I have extensive background in pro sound. I understand phase, and what drivers sound like when they're out of phase. What I don't understand is why my sub sounds deeper and more accurate with my sub's phase is reversed. My front towers are on the same plane as my sub. The effect is the same in almost any part of the room. Why would this be happening? Thanks in advance.

RF-25 fronts

RC25 center

RB-25 surrounds

RW-10 sub

Yamaha V577 receiver

E03B144D-C298-4E06-A1F3-A46D67D1480C-394

DEEE3870-21D4-4A01-976F-C085025ED1B9-394

• Like 1

• Moderators

Mine is the same, I set it 180 degrees out on the sub amp, I would think it's the room causing this ,what else could it be ? Sound waves canceling each other out is all I can think of is my guess ? I have heard if is a sever case it can eliminate all  bass, never it that bad myself.

My bass is a folded horn and so is the sub, the room is 24' wide and 34' long, I would guess every room is different.

Nice looking room. :emotion-21:

Edited by dtel

Ideal listening position is the couch on the right. It's up against an outside wall. This is just a typical living room in a modest modular ranch home. Yes, about 10 feet from listening position.

If I was in the middle of the room and my sub was in a far corner, I could see the possibility of phase cancellation with long waves, but it's not the case here. In normal phase, the bass sounds compressed, if not suppressed. In 180°, it has all the punch. Maybe the far wall (to the listener's right) is providing a phase-canceling reflective path, but if that were the case, other parts of the room would have a "summing" bass hot spot, which is NOT the case. In some parts of the room, it somehow sounds the same on either setting. In most places in the room, it hits harder with the phase reversed (either with the receiver setting, or by twisting the sub phase knob fully to 180°.)

Weird...

...and what's the deal with the large/small speaker settings? I understand it's a high-pass filter in "small" mode... But does it also re-direct a larger portion of those blocked lows to the sub when I put any of the main speakers in small mode? Does small mode help to reduce low-frequency phase cancellation by reducing the number of sound wave sources and isolating them to the sub? Does the crossover frequency setting also change the high-pass cutoff for the main speakers, in addition to changing the low-pass setting for the sub?

If I'm sitting on the other end of my couch near the rear bookshelf speaker while listing to music in 7-speaker (5 speaker) mode, the small setting obviously makes my RB's sound thinner. I can actually hear the lows coming from the sub and the highs blaring in my left ear, as opposed to the large setting where I feel like I'm equally surrounded by a full-range tone.

When I first got the sub, it had a slight rattle... I took off the amp panel and found some wiring laying against the port tube. I pulled it back to correct the issue. I'm pretty sure the +/- speaker wires were hooked up correctly. There was no evidence it had ever been opened up before then.

My bass is a folded horn and so is the sub, the room is 24' wide and 34' long, I would guess every room is different.

It's common on a horn sub to have to reverse phase to sound right.  If you unfolded the horn and put the driver on the back end you'd see that it's no longer in the same plane as the mains.  It would be 10 ft or so (depending on the horn) back.

I find the same thing OP... and I to run mine 180 out because it seems less bloated and much tighter and cleaner.

I go back and forth between in phase and out of phase at least 4-3 times a month just to be sure I am hearing what I am hearing.

Edited by Schu

.. But does it also re-direct a larger portion of those blocked lows to the sub when I put any of the main speakers in small mode?

It should, yes.

Does small mode help to reduce low-frequency phase cancellation by reducing the number of sound wave sources and isolating them to the sub?

Yes, the fewer sources, the less chance of cancellation.

Does the crossover frequency setting also change the high-pass cutoff for the main speakers, in addition to changing the low-pass setting for the sub?

On the plate amp or receiver?

Receiver. I used YPAO to set up the level and distance delay settings. Plate crossover is set to the highest setting as recommended, so the receiver determines the actual cutoff. I'm just wondering if the setting also changes high-pass frequency if the mains are in "small" mode... Or if the setting is simply the low-pass setting for the sub output.

Maybe I should actually read the PDF... Gosh, I wish they included a paper manual.

On the sub, what's the difference in using the LFE input, rather than one side of the L/R inputs?

Edited by hydro_pyro

What I don't understand is why my sub sounds deeper and more accurate with my sub's phase is reversed.

Butterworth filters (the most common type in subwoofer low-pass filter networks) will be lagging above the cutoff. Combine that with the natural response of the cabinet and the distances involved, and it's not uncommon at all to require a signal inversion to line everything back up. It might be "inverted" as the switch says so, but not as the room sees it.

The ear relies heavily on cues in the 90-200 Hz range to decipher what's going on in the lower registers, so it goes without saying that if the crossover isn't right, clarity of the system across the entire sub-bass / bass passband will be non-exsistent, to AFU at best...A most common complaint from people attempting to employ a component subwoofer.

800px-Butterworth_filter_bode_plot.png

Setting the speaker to small can lead to less problems with bass cancellation in the room.  Your sub will outperform your mains and the small setting is the most preferred setting.  This will also decrease distortion from the mains and make the system more efficient power wise.  I set my RF 7's and all the speakers to small.  I have a giant satellite system, lol.

Hollow and Derrick, very good explanation. You've confirmed what I suspected. I will continue to trust my ear. ;)

Mark... Yes, I put opened-up drop-in boxes in the wall above and below, and made cover plates with a simple hole where the cables enter and exit. My rear speaker wires also enter another opening like this behind the rack, into the crawl, to re-emerge at another set of plates behind the couch.

1EFAB8A6-2AEE-40A8-A985-F4812C972490-426

I built a set of oak stands for the rear RB's...

A3CF9DCE-B4D4-4EC7-A01B-C8AF707B8E1C-426

14 ga. ProCo round-jacket speaker wires are hidden in a slot ripped in the back side of one leg.

3D1F2E9D-D112-462B-ACC2-DAF6AA14CD76-426

I hate exposed wires.

Edited by hydro_pyro

Man I wish my living room looked that clean! Anyway you could pull mains out from the wall and let that port breathe? As well as the center to the edge of the av center so you don't get early reflections. That should clear up the dialogue a bit for sure.

• Like 1