*wanted* YAMAHA M-80 - EDIT: FS, pair of Rotel RB-850's (bridged ~160 watts each)

Matthews

Congrats on the M 65.  The Yammay amps are some of the best vintage amps that I have ever owned.  All were dead quiet and had no problems running the Reference speaker.  I wish they had some multi-channel vintage amps with the power of the M 70 or 80.

• Like 1

Congrats on the M 65

Thanks, getting excited about a new toy :)

The Yammay amps are some of the best vintage amps that I have ever owned. All were dead quiet and had no problems running the Reference speaker

Yup, I used to run a pair of 7's with an M-80 (and then came along the Heritage bug). THUNDERSOUSLY AWESOME is putting it lightly :)

I scored my first Yamaha, an MX-1000 and CX-600 with a pair of walnut Forte for $150.  I sold the Yamaha stuff to fund my next Klipsch purchase.

I missed it immediately.  I snagged two MX-800 in boxes mint condition for $300ea.  I sold one to a forum member to fund my another Klipsch purchase, miss that one too.

Great vintage amps.

• Like 1

Were these any good

http://legendaryamps.com/latestpro.html

No first hand experience with this model.  Certainly looks to be built like a tank.  I think it was originally intended for "on the road" commercial use.

Sharp amp

I found one locally for $350. 200wpch, bench tested 240wpch.

• Like 1

Yer really rattling around with amps here I see. From Rotel at my perspective then to Yamaha your going to get some interesting differences in characteristics. I know some real hard core Yamaha rockers around and have had my share. Those Kenwood amps seem to be more a stepping stone to getting into a proper unit in my opinion and actually factual once somebody makes the next step in amplification. Iv ran multiple M2's and will never forget the day I hooked a pair of them up then more...years ago kenwood power amps were an obsession of mine and LOUD. They really get the job done well although not quite the quality that klipsch(and other manufacturers)can provide with higher end amps/components. The Yamahas on the other hand I would set them right with the late Rotel models even considering years apart in production and price if you get a descent Yamaha setup done properly.

Iv had a long running love/hate with Yamaha after spending so much money on nib equipment with them over the years and just wasting gas money trading til finding the right one. Once you get hooked on Yamaha its tough to shake. Im running a full Yamaha 2 ch pa system right now and with the stone smashing slightly harsh power done correctly Yamaha can haul the mail for sure

• Like 1

Yamahas on the other hand I would set them right with the late Rotel models even considering years apart in production and price if you get a descent Yamaha setup done properly.

Nicely stated, Beeker.

Have been missing my M-80 since the day I sold it. Would love the opportunity to get my hands on a Yamaha M2!!! Currently my power is coming from Rotel. Running a pair of early RB-850's, bridged mono for each channel. They really complement the Scala's (IMO). Zero complaints about the pair!

I just got an itch and wanted to make an inexpensive addition. That brought me to my Yamaha search. Got a great deal on an M-65 unit in excellent condition ($299 shipped). About as close as I could get to the M-80 for about half the money. Pretty excited, scheduled arrival tomorrow (and a 4 day weekend ahead).

No plans of dumping Rotel, just a change. Kind of like when I take the polished aluminum wheels off the ol' Hot Rod and put on the black steelies :) It will be interesting, was running my old M-80 with a pair of 7's. Can't wait to see how the Yammy sounds with Heritage.

Does Yamaha make a decent pre that is remote capable? I don't think the C-80 is. Thinking of experimenting with the pre section as well.

Thanks for chiming in ♪ ♫ ♪

Edited by Matt 1970

I've had quite a few of those Yammies as well. My favorite was the MX-1 which you rarely hear about. Great underrated amp! I've still got it.

I keep an eye out for the CX-1 preamp. It's the matching pre. It comes with remote, and is supposed to be very good. They come up so rarely, when I do see one, they're asking too much. Did the amp arrive yet?

• Like 1

YAY - so stoked!!! :D

Initial impressions are well beyond expectations.  The low end in my Scala's "came alive".  Instrumental subtleties are pronounced, crisp and sharp.  I am amazed at the difference to say the least.   

20140828_183412_zps7fusbe0x.jpg?14093078

20140828_183106_zpsdhgrew3s.jpg?14093078

EDIT: For Sale - pair of Rotel RB-850's

Edited by Matt 1970
  • Like 1