Buttkickers or not!? Seeking your advise/perspective........

I'm in the processor completing my Home Theater and want to know if I should waste my money on Buttkickers"? I'm using 4 Klipsch KW-120's and love, love, love the bass it delivers but am curious if this is worth the investment. Your thoughts, suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I'm in the processor completing my Home Theater and want to know if I should waste my money on Buttkickers"? I'm using 4 Klipsch KW-120's and love, love, love the bass it delivers but am curious if this is worth the investment. Your thoughts, suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Parts express, get just one little cheap one, try it out.

I've been using improvised "buttkickers" for years now.

There is an old video gaming accessory from the mid-90's called the Aura Interactor. It's basically a butt-kicker inside of a vest. If you take the vest apart, you're left with a small(maybe 5" dia.) solid metal bass transducer.

I slide it into the crease between the back and seat cushions of the couch and plant it firmly in place touching the wooden frame with both sides.

All I can tell you is that it is a good deal of fun, but I don't find myself using too terribly often. When listening to music, I'd definitely prefer to set my receiver to "Pure Audio" 2-channel mode and sacrifice the subwoofer output for increased 2-channel sound quality.

I remember a few years ago I had placed the transducer between my mattress and box spring and ran it with my headphones. Now THAT was a truly unique experience. :-)

• Moderators
I remember a few years ago I had placed the transducer between my mattress and box spring and ran it with my headphones. Now THAT was a truly unique experience. :-)

Your probably to young to remember but many years ago motels had that with quarter slots to activate it. (cheesy motels)

Anyway thought about buttkickers years ago and never did it, being married for 36 years with three kids, my butt has been kicked enough already, the sub will have to do.

• Like 1

Your probably to young to remember but many years ago motels had that with quarter slots to activate it. (cheesy motels)

Anyway thought about buttkickers years ago and never did it, being married for 36 years with three kids, my butt has been kicked enough already, the sub will have to do.

When traveling with family as a child, my sister and I only wanted to stay in "Magic Finger" motels...

Edit: In our minds, that ALONE was the measure of quality lodging.

Edited by mungkiman

• Moderators

That's funny, forgot what the name was but your right, Magic Fingers. Same way I remember it , traveling with the family as a child, guess it was in the 60's.  

I remember my dad driving around wherever we be looking to stay checking out hotels looking for one with a pool and a high diving board.

Edited by dtel

Anyway thought about buttkickers years ago and never did it, being married for 36 years with three kids, my butt has been kicked enough already, the sub will have to do.

That is the truth dtel.  I been at the married with kids game for almost that long, lol.

Buttkickers are nice for HT's in the basement or extremely large room.  I thought about adding some but took the brute force route with subs.  I do prefer 2 ch. music using a couple of subs.  Just personal preference.

I've been in a few different theaters with them and to me they are for gimmicky fun to show off or if you really don't do much with your subs. Nothing beats a few large displacement subs. I promise you will never integrate them as well as a couple large subs will with all your other gear. And to boot, the really good transducers are pretty expensive. The cheapy ones are just that.

Thanks everyone for the throwback hotel visits from 70/80's, it brought back some bad and cheesy memories. I also appreciate the thoughts and perspective Scrappydue, I thought that they were a bit gimmicky but thought that maybe it was just me. I do have four kw-120's and I'll look to move them in pairs in a couple of areas (front and side rear) to perhaps gain same affect without all the buttshaking. I'd just hate to complete job and regret making this choice while I'm still in the process.

I'm using 4 Klipsch KW-120's and love, love, love the bass it delivers but am curious if this is worth the investment.

Based on the "love, love, love the base", I say follow your heart and go with what you love, love, love. 

Peace and more power to you!!!

One thing to consider is the location of the HT.  If you are in a basement the floor will not resonate like a wood floor or upstairs floor so you may not achieve a great tactile response thru the floor.  For some people this has a big impact.

One thing to consider is the location of the HT. If you are in a basement the floor will not resonate like a wood floor or upstairs floor one of those magic finger dodads found in the cheap cheesy kind of hotels where DTEL would stay ;)  so you may not achieve a great tactile response thru the floor. For some people this has a big impact.
Edited by Gilbert