Honda ATC 70 Rebuild

Max2

I thought a few here may have kiddo's with ATV's or Motorcycles so I decided to start a thread on the refurb.  I needed a project to divert a little attention from other things and after searching for about a year or two I finally found what I was looking for.

He is still a little young to ride just yet, but this thing is going to make trash hauling a lot easier and it will fit through my gates.

image-16.jpg

I picked this 1983 model up for $200.   Everything is pretty much worn, but the frame is straight and the engine has compression and that was my biggest concern.

Disassembly

dc724ce9-6fdd-4f25-8d8e-80ecd83c8ad2.jpg

After a new stator, condenser and points the engine fired right up.  Well almost, had to clean the carb and unclog the idle and main jets. Remember this thing is 31 years old :)

image-20.jpg

After getting fire to the engine with the new ignition it was time to see if it smoked.  I got it pretty warm and no blue smoke!  Time will tell if the little engine will hang in there.

Engine Video

http://vid55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/JMC_711/70Video-1.mp4

Engine is almost completely polished after a  lot of sanding and buffing. I may end up kicking myself for this maintenance wise, but I have a thing about any piece of aluminum not getting polished.

I painted the cylinder jug black, just like factory and got the new recoil starter mocked up.

f1184c73-6877-4833-ae55-bd4cc633d14f.jpg

image-21.jpg

The frame and all the hardware are off to the powder coater as of now. I should have all that back this week.

Got the cute little holeshot tires and CNC'd wheels in. 

image-19.jpg

More to come!

Edited by Max2
  • Like 4

very nice... I am completely into old Honda's.

as a matter of fact, I was privileged to be able to access the Private Honda USA museum in California.

I look forward to seeing this ATC rebuilt and refurbished!

Here is a little something for you...

15009563916_6bedd02680_o.jpg

15032201982_d82e1a2809_o.jpg

15009562166_7b79315033_o.jpg

14845896640_2de8ed0f5b_o.jpg

14845943918_01dcf425db_o.jpg

Edited by Schu
  • Like 4

very nice... I am completely into old Honda's.

as a matter of fact, I was privileged to be able to access the Private Honda USA museum in California.

I look forward to seeing this ATC rebuilt and refurbished!

Here is a little something for you...

Thanks Schu.  Museum is very cool, brand new antiques!

My refurb isn't going back completely stock, but for the most part it is.  Its kind of frustrating as many parts are not being made any more, so you have to substitute (if you're lucky) or buy used which is usually completely wore out. I kept the frame, forks, engine, rear axle and handle bars. everything else is new.  Its crazy how much new old stock parts are for these things. The gas tanks were the first things to go on them. Kids out grew them and they sat in the parents garage for 10 years or so and rusted through. A refurbished original gas tank with decals installed is $600 !!   The ATC 70 in 1983 had a MSRP of $648.   I wish I had bought 10 of them back them as they would bring 8-10K a piece still in the box.

Crap!  I just noticed the F1 cars stacked on the racks !!  Sweet!

Edited by Max2
  • Like 1

Nice project Max2.  Thanks for sharing.  My brother had this bike, and then I got it.  We called it the 'turtle chaser' because of the metallic green color, and it was slow, in comparison to the 2-stroke enduro bikes at the time.  I've got a polaroid pic and the original brochure around somewhere.  Ended up trading it for a 1971 two door Buick Skylark in 1980. 

bikepics-1423960-320.jpg

• Like 3

Man you guys are dragging out the goodness!  Old SL Honda and the Yammy RD's !    Nothing cooler than a two stroke street bike!   When I was a kid this guy had a RD400 that used to drag race all the old hot rods in town back then. They would race one block and I don't thing anyone ever beat that two stroke RD.

Why did they quit making the 3 wheelers?

Too many injuries / deaths from rollovers. That's why the quads were introduced.

I had the 90 3 wheeler as a kid. Lot of fun!

It's SO easy to roll those sideways.  I wouldn't let anyone I loved on one.

EDIT, nice work!

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

I had a 1985 Honda 70 when I was 5. The best Christmas present ever!

That is what really primed this project for me. My Dad bought me a 1974 model for my 5th as well.  My son is going to get a understanding of the limits of physics early in life. I think its good for kids to figure out what can and will bite you and how far you can take things before you get that road rash or a busted chin :)

• Like 1

Brings me back to the day my dad brought home a 1969 Honda Z-50.  Loved it!  I was 7.  I really wanted a CT-70 or XL-70.  It would be many years before we traded up to a Suzuki DM 100.  I still would love to own a prime example of a 4sp CT-70 my favorite minibike of all time.  They sell for big dollars, maybe I can get one that needs some work.  I remember the 3 wheelers you had to shift your body to make them turn.  There was a forum member here that was into the CT-70's but I forget his handle (chicagopete)?, he had a CT-70 as his avatar. 

Good luck with your rebuild!

• Like 2

Brings me back to the day my dad brought home a 1969 Honda Z-50.  Loved it!  I was 7.  I really wanted a CT-70 or XL-70.  It would be many years before we traded up to a Suzuki DM 100.  I still would love to own a prime example of a 4sp CT-70 my favorite minibike of all time.  They sell for big dollars, maybe I can get one that needs some work.  I remember the 3 wheelers you had to shift your body to make them turn.  There was a forum member here that was into the CT-70's but I forget his handle (chicagopete)?, he had a CT-70 as his avatar. 

Good luck with your rebuild!

Don't even start Frzninvt !  After my searches for parts I have run across a lot on the Z's.  Im already getting the bug for a Z build after this ATC :)

Honda_Z50AK1.jpg

• Like 6

Why did they quit making the 3 wheelers?

Too many injuries / deaths from rollovers. That's why the quads were introduced.

I had the 90 3 wheeler as a kid. Lot of fun!

It's SO easy to roll those sideways.  I wouldn't let anyone I loved on one.

EDIT, nice work!

Here you go Pawpaw :)

DSC_0118.JPG

• Like 3