Honda ATC 70 Rebuild

Max2

Why did they quit making the 3 wheelers?

I'd like to answer that, speaking over your shoulder, to the OP; the bikes were banned, made illegal to manufacture,

OP:  If you love your child, DO NOT LET HIM EVER RIDE THAT 3-WHEELER!  It is a museum piece, a wall-hanger.  It is dangerous.

The 3-wheelers were banned because of an inherent design flaw; they are VERY easy to flip.  This is why.  A two wheeled bike can be turned LEFT by leaning to the LEFT.  This is instinctual and in case of an accident, the rider almost always errs with a low-side fall (to the left, if turning left.)  It is easy on a low-side wreck to throw the bike away, which is safer for the rider. The THREE WHEELERS are OPPOSITE, ie you have to turn RIGHT to go LEFT, which is counter-intuitive. 

On a three wheeler, If you try to TURN left to go left, it will flip you over the handlebars to the RIGHT, and it doesn't take any speed to flip.  The rider most often fell on their face and broke their collarbone, and it was very difficult to catch yourself to lighten the blow.  When the 3-wheeler flips, it lands ON the rider.

If a person did not ride anything else EXCEPT a 3-wheeler, the rider would be more safe.  But at speed, with motorcycle instincts, the 3-wheelers both hurt and killed many riders (broken necks, smashing into trees because the bike would not turn if done the wrong way, etc).

Get you child a four-wheeler or mini-bike when the time comes.  Let the past die.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Brings me back to the day my dad brought home a 1969 Honda Z-50.  Loved it!  I was 7.  I really wanted a CT-70 or XL-70.  It would be many years before we traded up to a Suzuki DM 100.  I still would love to own a prime example of a 4sp CT-70 my favorite minibike of all time.  They sell for big dollars, maybe I can get one that needs some work.  I remember the 3 wheelers you had to shift your body to make them turn.  There was a forum member here that was into the CT-70's but I forget his handle (chicagopete)?, he had a CT-70 as his avatar. 

Good luck with your rebuild!

Don't even start Frzninvt !  After my searches for parts I have run across a lot on the Z's.  Im already getting the bug for a Z build after this ATC :)

Honda_Z50AK1.jpg

Looks almost identical to the one that I had but mine was blue/silver.  I rode it everywhere.  Took it out to our ranch and rode it all over.  When we finally trading it back the Honda dealer he said it must of had a million miles on it but I took care of it and it was still running great.

I appreciate everyone's concern. Its going to be around 3-4 more years before my boss will be big enough to solo this three horsepower fire breather, so everyone can exhale :) Until then he will be getting rides up front with me.  I think first gear is good for about 4 mph and second might get you to 10mph.  Don't worry, gear shifting will come later in training :)   Three wheelers are dangerous when pushed past their limits, just like any other ATV. Most people hurt were due to inexperienced driver error or exceeding the limits of the machine.   Statistics show 3 wheeler accidents were basically equally the same to the 4 wheelers that took their place, but that could be affected by the bigger number of 4 wheeler sales in a exploding recreational market. People die on street bikes, mountain bikes, mopeds, Bicycles, Harleys, skateboards....you get my picture. 

Gotta let your kids have fun and learn along the way

46844d1359865226-please-support-me-issue

• Like 2

I'm gonna try to refrain from asking anymore questions on this thread.

The engine/gear case is looking great!

No need.  All comments and questions welcome in my threads. 

Thanks!  I used to thin and tweak Outboard drag props years ago for a few guys, but thats another tale. Anyway, I have plenty of hardware, but not enough muscle to maneuver a 50-60lb engine to get all the nooks and crannies and I sure don't want to drop it!  No way Im going to split the cases on this engine for the polish.  I have some lesser air tools that do a decent "bench" job, but they just don't heat and burn pot metal and aluminum like a 1 horsepower cutting and polishing wheel can.

Brings me back to the day my dad brought home a 1969 Honda Z-50.  Loved it!  I was 7.  I really wanted a CT-70 or XL-70.  It would be many years before we traded up to a Suzuki DM 100.  I still would love to own a prime example of a 4sp CT-70 my favorite minibike of all time.  They sell for big dollars, maybe I can get one that needs some work.  I remember the 3 wheelers you had to shift your body to make them turn.  There was a forum member here that was into the CT-70's but I forget his handle (chicagopete)?, he had a CT-70 as his avatar. 

Don't even start Frzninvt !  After my searches for parts I have run across a lot on the Z's.  Im already getting the bug for a Z build after this ATC :)

Honda_Z50AK1.jpg

Is this your's?  What year is that?  I want it bad!

No matter what we do, if pushed to the limit can be dangerous.  Used to ride honda 250 3 wheelers with my kids until I bought them motorcycles while they were in grade school.  We would get them up on 2 wheels on the corners and had a blast.

Had to move and got a new job in sawmill filing room sharpening saws.  Fellow workers told me not to miss a day in the first 30 days or it would be my last.

Came to work one morning and the crew wanted to know what I was doing there.  Turned out that a youngster the same age and with the same name as my daughter had been killed on the dunes that weekend.  It happens.  NOBODY likes it.

Ride Safe, and teach your Kids to be safe in all things they do.

ng :)   Three wheelers are dangerous when pushed past their limits, just like any other ATV.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but that is statement misses the point; the 3-wheelers were UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED.  You can go SLOW on a three wheeler, turn the wheel the wrong way and it will flip you over the bars, and land on you, or turn the wheel and gas it, it will flip you immediately. 

BTW, the plastic 3-wheeler pic IS 100% SAFE, but it is NOT a dirt bike!  That toy is INCHES off the ground, has an OVERSIZED front wheel, a very low degree of rake and trail (front forks are stretched out forward like a chopper, as it were, the OPPOSITE of an ATC) and literally cannot be flipped.  This toy and a motorized ATC cannot be compared in terms of safety.

Most people hurt were due to inexperienced driver error or exceeding the limits of the machine.   Statistics show 3 wheeler accidents were basically equally the same to the 4 wheelers that took their place, but that could be affected by the bigger number of 4 wheeler sales in a exploding recreational market. People die on street bikes, mountain bikes, mopeds, Bicycles, Harleys, skateboards....you get my picture. 

I am from West Virginia, where I think we lead the nation in 4-wheeler deaths every year.  It is in my local news all the time here about 4-wheeler deaths.  It IS true that when you flip a four wheeler and it lands on you, it can kill you. 

But I would say MOST of our WV 4-wheeler deaths come from drunk hillbillies with no helmets with no riding ability, often with another person on board, and  riding too fast.  They usually end up going over a hill, or crashing head-first into a tree.  We have a lot of idiots here, and many of them ride four-wheelers.  I NEVER see a report of a child who has died on a four-wheeler.

Gotta let your kids have fun and learn along the way.

I grew up on dirt bikes, and I 100% AGREE with this statement!   Super fun, and many lessons in life can be learned from riding dirt bikes, the most important is learning how to have fun and still be in control, and how to take responsibility for yourself.

But you MUST add to the end of that sentence the word "safely."  That means having a well maintained bike with a reliable engine and good brakes, proper riding gear, made for motorcycle boots, always ride with a buddy, and always wear a good helmet.

Dave -

Honda 50 Mini-trail, Honda 70 Mini-trail, Honda SL 100 (later converted for racing the 100 class) Honda CR-125 Elsinore, Honda CR-250 Elsinore (1973, the first year they came out) Honda XL-250, also converted for racing, Husqvarna CR-250, Penton 250 (now known as KTM 250).  I raced nationwide for 10 years, from age 14-24, motocross, hare scrambles, International Six Day Trials qualifiers.  I assure you, I fell off a lot, and I had fun.  Usually when you fall off a dirt bike, you get dirty, not hurt. 

I had one broken wrist in my racing career, which I got at my very first MX race at age 14.  I crashed in the first turn off the start, and my best friend, also in first first race on a Honda 100, ran me over and broke both bones on my left wrist.  I loved riding so much, I couldn't wait six weeks for the arm to heal, so I would duct tape my arm to the left handlebar and went riding.  :)  Good times, great memories.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The engine looks great, I'm sure the rest will also.

They do have throttles that have adjustment screws to control the speed. We had one on our grandsons, when he first got it top speed was a fast walk and he was happy with it. He never learned to shift until much later so first gear was all he had.

• Like 2

I'm like 15 years sober and you go and do this to me? 1969 z-50, 1972 xr-75, 1986 fourtrax 70, 1984 XR 500... and that is just a drop in the bucket of everything I have owned in my lifetime. The TRX 70 and the XR 500 were the best bikes I ever owned. You better hope I don't fall off the wagon or it's gonna be all your fault!!! :D

My childhood friend down the street had one of these.  His dad let us ride it on the sidewalk in front of the house.  After awhile he rode it everywhere, it had some serious get up and go.  He eventually graduated to a Honda CR-125 and that thing just downright scary.  It would come up in most of the gears.

I think this year of XR-75 is just gorgeous drool worthy in my early teen years.

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 1

The engine looks great, I'm sure the rest will also.

They do have throttles that have adjustment screws to control the speed. We had one on our grandsons, when he first got it top speed was a fast walk and he was happy with it. He never learned to shift until much later so first gear was all he had.

Glad you brought that up dtel.  This one has a throttle block screw as well and it certainly will be getting some use when the time comes.  I also have found a remote kill switch that works like a remote key fob that unlocks car doors except it will cut the ignition on the bike if things get out of hand :)  Its just  $80

• Like 1

ng :)   Three wheelers are dangerous when pushed past their limits, just like any other ATV.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but that is statement misses the point; the 3-wheelers were UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED.  You can go SLOW on a three wheeler, turn the wheel the wrong way and it will flip you over the bars, and land on you, or turn the wheel and gas it, it will flip you immediately.

BTW, the plastic 3-wheeler pic IS 100% SAFE, but it is NOT a dirt bike!  That toy is INCHES off the ground, has an OVERSIZED front wheel, a very low degree of rake and trail (front forks are stretched out forward like a chopper, as it were, the OPPOSITE of an ATC) and literally cannot be flipped.  This toy and a motorized ATC cannot be compared in terms of safety.

Most people hurt were due to inexperienced driver error or exceeding the limits of the machine.   Statistics show 3 wheeler accidents were basically equally the same to the 4 wheelers that took their place, but that could be affected by the bigger number of 4 wheeler sales in a exploding recreational market. People die on street bikes, mountain bikes, mopeds, Bicycles, Harleys, skateboards....you get my picture. 

I am from West Virginia, where I think we lead the nation in 4-wheeler deaths every year.  It is in my local news all the time here about 4-wheeler deaths.  It IS true that when you flip a four wheeler and it lands on you, it can kill you. 

But I would say MOST of our WV 4-wheeler deaths come from drunk hillbillies with no helmets with no riding ability, often with another person on board, and  riding too fast.  They usually end up going over a hill, or crashing head-first into a tree.  We have a lot of idiots here, and many of them ride four-wheelers.  I NEVER see a report of a child who has died on a four-wheeler.

Gotta let your kids have fun and learn along the way.

I grew up on dirt bikes, and I 100% AGREE with this statement!   Super fun, and many lessons in life can be learned from riding dirt bikes, the most important is learning how to have fun and still be in control, and how to take responsibility for yourself.

But you MUST add to the end of that sentence the word "safely."  That means having a well maintained bike with a reliable engine and good brakes, proper riding gear, made for motorcycle boots, always ride with a buddy, and always wear a good helmet.

Dave -

Honda 50 Mini-trail, Honda 70 Mini-trail, Honda SL 100 (later converted for racing the 100 class) Honda CR-125 Elsinore, Honda CR-250 Elsinore (1973, the first year they came out) Honda XL-250, also converted for racing, Husqvarna CR-250, Penton 250 (now known as KTM 250).  I raced nationwide for 10 years, from age 14-24, motocross, hare scrambles, International Six Day Trials qualifiers.  I assure you, I fell off a lot, and I had fun.  Usually when you fall off a dirt bike, you get dirty, not hurt. 

I had one broken wrist in my racing career, which I got at my very first MX race at age 14.  I crashed in the first turn off the start, and my best friend, also in first first race on a Honda 100, ran me over and broke both bones on my left wrist.  I loved riding so much, I couldn't wait six weeks for the arm to heal, so I would duct tape my arm to the left handlebar and went riding.  :)  Good times, great memories.

Well said wvu80

Is this your's?  What year is that?  I want it bad!

Not mine. It was a photo that popped up on a Google. I can't differentiate the years of the Z's per say, but Im guessing 1968 -1971 ish  

There are over 10 on Ebay right now searching under Honda z50

Bidding on this one starts at $2K      Nice frame color

$_57.JPG

Bidding on this one starts at $2K      Nice frame color

$_57.JPG

That color is "Candy Apple Red."  You may trust me on that one.  B)

The headlights would rattle apart, when you wreck the levers would snap (not bend) like pretzels.  Both levers were brakes, front was right, the back was the left lever.  The bike shown above has aftermarket plastic replacements, a good idea. 

The foot pegs would also bend, since they pivoted straight up and down, not backwards on a 45 degree angle, and those nice chrome fenders would bend and get scratched in a wreck.  The front forks had about 1 inch of travel, there is NO rear suspension, of course.  The handlebars would unscrew with those hard rubber knobs, and anytime you were thrown forward, your knee caps would SLAM into those stupid things.

Study that picture; guess what would happen if you slid forward off the seat and came DOWN into the gas tank.  Can you see which of your body parts would stop your forward progress, once it hit the gas cap?  Every Honda mini-trail ever made had the tank dented in the top front from little kids slamming into it with their male parts.

And if you ever need to know the size of the screw that holds on the heat shield for the front of the pipe, I can help you with that as the screw has burned an impression into my inside right calf with a scar that is there to this day (think, the Nazi with the burned medallion in his hand from Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.)

Good times, good memories.  :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1