Modified Klipshorns - need help

noping

Hi. I recently acquired a pair of late 90'k K-horns. They belonged to my father, who recently passed away. I am in the process of selling off a lot of his equipment and I'm having some trouble with these. Only now that I got them out of the house, I have realized that he had them modified. He had a Marchand crossover specailly built for them, but unfortunately, I did not know that before I sold the crossover. So now I have to figure out what to do with these.

The wiring has been altered and I can see there is a missing capacitor in the low frequency cabinet. See the pictures below. They work, I've hooked them up to my receiver and an Atma Sphere MP-1 pre-amp. But obviously, they can't be working as they should with the wiring and missing capacitor. What do I need to do to get these to original working condition (i.e. without the Marchand)?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Zach

post-58860-0-40640000-1409004032_thumb.j

post-58860-0-48400000-1409004042_thumb.j

post-58860-0-81440000-1409004050_thumb.j

post-58860-0-90280000-1409004063_thumb.j

post-58860-0-60560000-1409004356_thumb.j

post-58860-0-18800000-1409007581_thumb.j

post-58860-0-28720000-1409007792_thumb.j

Edited by noping

I do have someone interested in them, but that was before i realied the modifications that were done. I am teling him about it now and will see what he says. I'd like to give him some more details on what's going to need to be done. I'm in eastern MA.

He may have bypassed the old bass bin network, which most people do when updating the X-over. If that flat white wire soldered to the woofer is attached to the binding posts and not tied to the caps down there on the woofer door, he did.  You simply need to run a wire from the bass bin posts up to the networks woofer taps.  Before you do, take a full picture of the crossover and post it, so the X-over gurus here can help just to make sure.

BTW,If you don't have to sell those, don't. 

Edited by Max2

He may have bypassed the old bass bin network, which most people do when updating the X-over. If that flat white wire soldered to the woofer is attached to the binding posts and not tied to the caps down there on the woofer door, he did.  You simply need to run a wire from the bass bin posts up to the networks woofer taps.  Before you do, take a full picture of the crossover and post it, so the X-over gurus here can help just to make sure.

That is what it looks like he did. I'll add some new images.

I do have to sell them for 2 reasons. My wife will kill me keeping speakers that big and I need the cash to fund something of his that actually has huge sentimental value to me. I want to get his 1964 ight hand drive Mini Cooper S, which we did most of the body work on together, back on the road.

I am holding back a Marantz 8B and a couple of other components, though.

I do have to sell them for 2 reasons. My wife will kill me keeping speakers that big and I need the cash to fund something of his that actually has huge sentimental value to me. I want to get his 1964 ight hand drive Mini Cooper S, which we did most of the body work on together, back on the road.

My condolences Noping and it sounds your Dad was very cool and had awesome hobbies.  Thanks for sharing.   It looks to me like (but my eyes aren't so good) that the big inductor is hooked to the +input and to the unused woofer tap that is next to the mid taps. Hook the woofers wire up right next to the mids on the x-over.  Do red left and black right just like the mids and tweets are already. That should get all the drivers running. Thats a pretty popular X-over too a buyer shouldn't turn his nose up to those included. You can adjust the mid output up and down

BTW. Here is a pic of an ALK wired up. Caps aren't the same, but same basic config I believe.

GRKhorns66.jpg

Edited by Max2

My condolences Noping and it sounds your Dad was very cool and had awesome hobbies.  Thanks for sharing.   It looks to me like (but my eyes aren't so good) that the big inductor is hooked to the +input and to the unused woofer tap that is next to the mid taps. Hook the woofers wire up right next to the mids on the x-over.  Do red left and black right just like the mids and tweets are already. That should get all the drivers running. Thats a pretty popular X-over too a buyer shouldn't turn his nose up to those included. You can adjust the mid output up and down

BTW. Here is a pic of an ALK wired up. Caps aren't the same, but same basic config I believe.

GRKhorns66.jpg

Awesome. Thanks Max!

• Like 1

Noping,

As others have said those are not Marchand xovers, they are in fact ALK Universals. You can get help here if you just want to get them to play correctly.

To be precise he had this Marchand http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marchand-XM9LS-AA-Crossover-with-24p-attenuators-/231247652189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d76f255d built and had the wiring to the stock ALK Universals disconnected. Thanks!

Sorry for your loss.

Looks like everything is there.  It was hooked up differently than normal for bi-amping (the positive wire from the mid/high amp is usually

connected AFTER the high pass capacitors, but I can't see the whole setup clearly.

I may have stored the original install instructions for the ALK Universal on my home computer.  If so, I can forward them to you, so that you can wire the

Khorns totally passive, and your buyer will have instructions on how to bi-wire, bi-amp, and attenuate the mid driver.

Let me know.

Mike

Sorry for your loss.

Looks like everything is there.  It was hooked up differently than normal for bi-amping (the positive wire from the mid/high amp is usually

connected AFTER the high pass capacitors, but I can't see the whole setup clearly.

I may have stored the original install instructions for the ALK Universal on my home computer.  If so, I can forward them to you, so that you can wire the

Khorns totally passive, and your buyer will have instructions on how to bi-wire, bi-amp, and attenuate the mid driver.

Let me know.

Mike

Thanks all. He was too young but he enjoyed the life he had. and as you can obviously tell, he loved his music, otherwise he wouldn't have had these.

Sent you a message Mike. That would be fantastic. Thanks!