Scott 299

wldrns1

If you like, see Topic 'Starting Over' on 2 channel for background. That is my Post after much reading and research here. Well, still following original plan (orderly get up to speed and get things working well) but so much interesting stuff within this Forum, I have the opportunity to play around and see things for myself. A bit of a jagged road. Anyway:

My sister-in-laws father had this 299 with the 1958 manual. Also has the yet-to-be-dug-out matching tuner. She and my brother don't want it so they gave me the 299 and the tuner will follow. Have to say, there's not a mark on the 299. Needs cleaning as it was in a smoker's house. Quite tan.

I'm not plugging anything in until I get it checked out. Is having this gone over and put back in shape a good idea? For me, with all the equipment they're giving away, looks to be a good chance to compare Valve/Solid State/Digital and maybe own a few working vintage pieces. What kind of $$ might I expect (wide range)?

The same brother has a Pioneer receiver (feels like digital), a pair of speakers purchased for the 299/mfg starts with a 'W', an AIWA AV-D55 with remote & manual and a JBL sub. Have a hooked up & working Sound Dynamics TSH(?)-10 sub. Lots to playing with.

I already acquired a working Pioneer SX626. Using it now. Seems to work fine other than some light popping using loudness button and turning it on. Don't know if it needs anything. Got from HIONFI.com here in Syracuse. Got it free-trade so nothing lost.

Been out of it for 30 years. Was looking for a simple shielded wire dipole antenna, 'nope, nothing like that here'. Where have I been? No plans to be a rocket scientist but catch up is needed.

Any comments/suggestions on this free gear?

Edited by wldrns1

Admit that I didnt really read all of the "Starting Over " thread. But if you are looking for a remarkable two channel set up you would have to go a long way and spend considerable dollars to best a refurbished scott 299. Forum member Craig Ostby (nosvalves) will turn that 299 into something truly spectacular.

I would give him a call for sure.

josh

If it hasn't been started in years, please do not do anything until you talk to Craig. Now he's not a firm believer in going through the usual rigamarole most recommend for something that hasn't been powered up in decades. But if in pristine condition aesthetically, it would be a big mistake not to consult with him before turning it on.

Remember, after 50 years capacitors dry out, and tubes can go bad.

Call Craig, he does not charge for talking and is considered to be the foremost restore of Scott's in the land.

Don't let the magic smoke out!

• Like 1

First, welcome!

2nd, I don't like cats.  I don't trust them, they like to f**k with my sh*t, and quite frankly, they scare me.

3rd, PLEASE, throw me a bone and mellow out your avatar.  A cat is scary enough.  One with laser eyes is horrifying.

Admit that I didnt really read all of the "Starting Over " thread. But if you are looking for a remarkable two channel set up you would have to go a long way and spend considerable dollars to best a refurbished scott 299. Forum member Craig Ostby (nosvalves) will turn that 299 into something truly spectacular.

I would give him a call for sure.

josh

If it hasn't been started in years, please do not do anything until you talk to Craig. Now he's not a firm believer in going through the usual rigamarole most recommend for something that hasn't been powered up in decades. But if in pristine condition aesthetically, it would be a big mistake not to consult with him before turning it on.

Remember, after 50 years capacitors dry out, and tubes can go bad.

Call Craig, he does not charge for talking and is considered to be the foremost restore of Scott's in the land.

Don't let the magic smoke out!

Thanks to both of you. I will talk to Craig and ask him do his thing if he feels worthwhile. I'd like to get the matching Tuner and do it all in one shot. The 299 is truly mint.

First, welcome!

2nd, I don't like cats.  I don't trust them, they like to f**k with my sh*t, and quite frankly, they scare me.

3rd, PLEASE, throw me a bone and mellow out your avatar.  A cat is scary enough.  One with laser eyes is horrifying.

First, thanks!

2nd, the eyes look that way because it's just a reflection from the flash, i.e. no photoshop.

3rd, YOUR screenname may be intended to stand for Total Noise Reduction, but it also stands for a method of controlling the feral feline population called 'Trap Neuter Return'. Isn't that ironic for someone who has an issue with cats? Google TNR. Have a good one!

There was never a tuner per his daughters. Did some research and in those days, tuners were mono which most here are aware of. Maybe someone could suggest a tuner that suits this unit? I'm thinking a modern tuner would be less 'older is better' ish? Am I right about this? More interested quality overall function than vintage for vintage's sake.

Edited by wldrns1

I will agree with all the others reccommending Craig perform his magic. I lived with a 299C for 5 years, never really feeling like I was getting the magic that I'd always heard about with the 299 series. Finally sent it off to Craig, turns out the guy I bought it from did a very poor job restoring it, cheap parts, bad soldering, and something very messed up with one channel. After Craig got everything sorted, the magic is all there and I couldn't be happier. I'll try other amps down the road, but this one will always be a part of my stable.

For tuners, I use a Scott lt-110, the kit version of a Scott 350. It is stereo, and from what I've read, Scott was ahead of the game when it came to tuners. These tuners also share similar cosmetics and the same case from the 299 series, so they look very nice sitting next to each other. The tuners can be found for reasonable money on that auction site.

There was never a tuner per his daughters. Did some research and in those days, tuners were mono which most here are aware of. Maybe someone could suggest a tuner that suits this unit? I'm thinking a modern tuner would be less 'older is better' ish? Am I right about this? More interested quality overall function than vintage for vintage's sake.

m1slc_001_1.png

This is what I use with my 299D. It has 'Rec Out' lines, and works and looks great.

Sweet. Get a great piece of proven gear from the golden age redone by someone who understands them and pair them with horns and a decent TT rig............heaven. B)

Sorry Rick but what is TT? Checking out that interesting-looking Tivoli.

Turntable. ;)