Passing down a legacy to our young ones

Scrappydue

I guess I'm a continuation of Klipsch legacy. My dad romantically told the story of when he 1st heard K-Horns at a stereo shop in Dallas in the 60's many times and fell madly in love with them, though he couldn't afford them before love and marriage came along, so he never got them. When I walked into Ultimate Electronics and saw Lord of the Rings playing on a killer front projector set up, I was blown away by the audio, when I saw the speakers were Klipsch(RF-7's), I couldn't help but smile... and buy them.

Now I've got 904s that sound as good as K-Horns, I'm in heaven! I won't be passing on the Klipsch legacy myself though, staying single allows me afford this stuff lol. Speaking of which, Scrappy, I hope you disinfected the sub, can't handle those kid germs. :P

When I walked into Ultimate Electronics and saw Lord of the Rings playing on a killer front projector set up, I was blown away by the audio, when I saw the speakers were Klipsch(RF-7's), I couldn't help but smile... and buy them.
love hearing this one. let me share a similar story.

when i was younger (13-14) me and my dad every weekend would go into kansas city to this huge fish store. we both used to like fish very much. and i was startin to fall in love with stereos at that time. so after we left there he would always take me over to best buy and circuit city. i would cruise through all the demo rooms. one had yamaha which i never cared for, one had bose, which i thought sounded cool then. cool for their size anyway. then i would go down to my favorite room, the jbl and cerwin vega room. loved these too cause they were capable of some serious volumes. then we would cruise over to circuit city and hear higher end polk stuff, velodyne, and infinity. my first setup came from circuit city and was some infinity bookshelves and a velodyne sub.

fast forward a couple years, and i had my license. went without my dad much more frequently just to window shop. my cousin had told me that they were building this new store down the street soon. about 10 months went by and ultimate electronics had their grand opening. 

i was probably the third person in the door. had to go early so i went solo that day. well the first thing i was offered coffee, water, or orange juice as soon as i walked in. LOL i immediately fell in love. after i received my OJ, i started making my rounds. first room was a very modern bose equipped room. it sounded great (so i thought). the coolest things was all the automation in this room. 

move on to the next room and i don't remember the speaker brand in there, but i do remember they had all the carver/sunifre sub models in this room. WOW i hadn't heard anything play that deep before. and i thought it was cool that the sub could pound so hard it would walk around in the corner all by itself. 

next was the massive wall of receivers. i have been looking at price tags the whole time and am realizing that this place is for the rich and famous haha.

so i keep browsing and then comes to what looks like the flagship room. walk in and sit down. lord of the rings was playing. never seen it before. never seen a projector before in a home setting. it was the top of the line sony projector at that time, in fact i think they guy said it was like 8,000$. anyways he gives me a proper demo, and just cranked away. i then started asking about about all the speakers. he tells me what they were. klipsch rf-7 home theater. i was blown away. couldn't believe the movie theater sound that this room had going on in there. then he showed me the rsw-15 up front. i didn't even know they made 15" home subs. lol could not believe this thing. well once again i start pricing this setup in my head, and figure eh walk away, you will never be able to afford that stuff. 

so i guess the coolest part of the story is that plissken is like the third guy on here i have heard mention seeing the same movie on the same setup on a different location of the same chain store. 

what i am most excited about is the setup i have now i didn't pay even close to what that stuff costs 10-12 years ago and it would absolutely put that setup to shame! couldn't have ever done it without this forum to help me gain the confidence to buy good quality used products.

:emotion-21:  :emotion-21:  B)  :emotion-22:

• Like 3

Holy crap that is almost the same story lol. It was the grand opening of UE for me as well. My mom actually walked out of that room and told me not to go in there, she was right lol. Only it was a $9,999 Sharp dlp projector in my location.

Seeing that set up was my 1st real reason I wanted to seek employment!

And indeed this whole trading up to pro audio has taught me valuable lessons of not buying new when possible. I got 4 used 904s at the same price as a pair of the RF-7's.

• Like 1

NICE pic, Kevin! How's that room with all the glass?

My dad wasn't interested in audio at all, but I got into it through my love for music and playing guitar. Late in high school and after, I was visiting a small coffeehoue in Pekin, Illinois and ended up touring with a brother/sister act. Started visiting the local recording studio in South Pekin. I bought my JBL 4311s through them, as the studio was really a demo setup for selling high end studio gear.

Much later (1980s), I ended up knowing DJK's younger brother. Dennis loaned us some LS bass cabs to use for a PA at a church conference, and I became aware of Klipsch. Now, all the way to 2001 and I have a wife and three kids, all who love music. Still had the JBLs, and my older son asks abut the LS cabinets. I found this site in and joined in 2001, looking for plans so we could build a pair of LS. Never did that, but my son gave me a pair of HIIs as a present, and I later got a pair of LaScalas.

So the kids are Anna Grace, plays piano, but is trying to break into writing (husband and young son), Joshua (Invidiosulus on the forum), who plays guitar and bass (has a wonderful wife and five kids), and Zachary, trumpet and keys, doing composing, after graduating from Valpo with a degree in music composition.

I chalk it all up to having good playback systems in the house and being will to listen to about any kind of music.

Okay, I've written another novel...

Bruce

NICE pic, Kevin! How's that room with all the glass?

My dad wasn't interested in audio at all, but I got into it through my love for music and playing guitar. Late in high school and after, I was visiting a small coffeehoue in Pekin, Illinois and ended up touring with a brother/sister act. Started visiting the local recording studio in South Pekin. I bought my JBL 4311s through them, as the studio was really a demo setup for selling high end studio gear.

Much later (1980s), I ended up knowing DJK's younger brother. Dennis loaned us some LS bass cabs to use for a PA at a church conference, and I became aware of Klipsch. Now, all the way to 2001 and I have a wife and three kids, all who love music. Still had the JBLs, and my older son asks abut the LS cabinets. I found this site in and joined in 2001, looking for plans so we could build a pair of LS. Never did that, but my son gave me a pair of HIIs as a present, and I later got a pair of LaScalas.

So the kids are Anna Grace, plays piano, but is trying to break into writing (husband and young son), Joshua (Invidiosulus on the forum), who plays guitar and bass (has a wonderful wife and five kids), and Zachary, trumpet and keys, doing composing, after graduating from Valpo with a degree in music composition.

I chalk it all up to having good playback systems in the house and being will to listen to about any kind of music.

Okay, I've written another novel...

Bruce

But a lovely novel. Five kids. Wow! Congratulations to all!

To answer your question, the room is less than ideal. That's ok. The window treatments help, but it's very long and goes to 18 ft with an open hall on the second level. But it is not the main listening room. It's my family room where everyone enjoys. Actually, by that measure, it IS the main system.

Anyway, That pic is a few years old and I've changed to something more period appropriate for my house: JBL Metregon and a vintage McIntosh MA 230 integrated. evetagyr.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kev313
  • Like 2

I have two adult kids at home. they are all about technology. I set them both up with systems in their rooms that they use when they fell like it, or cleaning or homework etc...build it and they will come, that's my motto...

I just bought Bluetooth transmitter for my system, now they connect their iphones to my system to listen...

Edited by Turbox
  • Like 2

• Moderators
minermark, on 01 Sept 2014 - 6:53 PM, said:

Wish i had someone to pass my things along too, but at the rate im going they would be inheriting a nightmare.

Could you imagine a teen with a pair of 8' tall pro speakers, I would guess he would get in trouble. But he could just say well my dad did it ?

• Like 2

Wish i had someone to pass my things along too, but at the rate im going they would be inheriting a nightmare.

I'm your huckleberry. I'm trying to get Boxx to adopt me as well. You know, for the benefit of all mankind and such.

Ha, good call there Thad, never thought about donating them to someone who would realy use them.

My son is 33, in HVAC tech in Vegas and makes bank rolls of money, yet one of the ipod generation, no taste for old school quality.

this was of course this morning when i loaded the subwoofer to be taken to its new owner, plissken.

AND OF COURSE LIKE FATHER LIKE SON.......

14164525204_f2bbf46aa7_b.jpg

14887432008_1a75d9dd40_b.jpg

She has the new pink beats hp's and the old ones

KILL IT WITH FIRE! :o

I would love to! For headphones we have way, way, way better pairs in the house that cost $20(and several pair of my preferred brand "grado" in h/p's) comparing to her new beats(that's embarrassing to say) that cost $270 with a contract for her iPhone. Its beyond words to me why kids and adults fall for the money trap. She has earned what she has chose yet again wont spend 5 minutes in my personal music room that provides minimal distortion at low and high volume.

Nice to see scrappy passing the legend of and in sound on to his boy. As well as others! Finding klipsch at a young age is the best! It took me til age 19-20 to find kg's then another 12/13 yrs to find the whole package...the real holy grail in audio. Klipsch is endless. All humanity can truly tailor their preferences with klipsch to reproduce the sound they need to feel in their soul!

Wow, someone sure has  a lot of time on their hands, eh?  :blink:

this was of course this morning when i loaded the subwoofer to be taken to its new owner, plissken.

AND OF COURSE LIKE FATHER LIKE SON.......

14164525204_f2bbf46aa7_b.jpg

14887432008_1a75d9dd40_b.jpg

She has the new pink beats hp's and the old ones

KILL IT WITH FIRE! :o

I would love to! For headphones we have way, way, way better pairs in the house that cost $20(and several pair of my preferred brand "grado" in h/p's) comparing to her new beats(that's embarrassing to say) that cost $270 with a contract for her iPhone. Its beyond words to me why kids and adults fall for the money trap. She has earned what she has chose yet again wont spend 5 minutes in my personal music room that provides minimal distortion at low and high volume.

Nice to see scrappy passing the legend of and in sound on to his boy. As well as others! Finding klipsch at a young age is the best! It took me til age 19-20 to find kg's then another 12/13 yrs to find the whole package...the real holy grail in audio. Klipsch is endless. All humanity can truly tailor their preferences with klipsch to reproduce the sound they need to feel in their soul!

Wow, someone sure has  a lot of time on their hands, eh?  :blink:

What's that you say?

688668d5-a99f-448a-80b1-43c25318ea85.jpg

Edited by Boxx
  • Like 1