New! home theater build project

Scrappydue

So far the shakers I am thinking of as a separate part of the uLF for the HT.  The feel is a definetly different tweak to the HT.  Since they are a voice coil, xo them over low will keep the voic and low bass out so that you don't hear them when you should not.

Sounds like sound advice to me. No pun intended, just good vibrations!

Steven,

Awesome job! Don't know how I missed this thread until now. Asbestos ceiling tile? I'd get that sheet outta there. Especially with little ones and your ability to shake it up.

Worse, the resonance of LFE could cause it to deteriorate and that dust becoming airborne. 

I have said this before. I would encapsulate, abate, or avoid the room. Also, the cold air returns, if there are any, will cycle that dust throughout the house unless you are using a HEPA filter.

Steven,

Awesome job! Don't know how I missed this thread until now. Asbestos ceiling tile? I'd get that sheet outta there. Especially with little ones and your ability to shake it up.

Worse, the resonance of LFE could cause it to deteriorate and that dust becoming airborne. 

I have said this before. I would encapsulate, abate, or avoid the room. Also, the cold air returns, if there are any, will cycle that dust throughout the house unless you are using a HEPA filter.

Yep that's what I meant. Shaking some of that asbestos free and airborne with Scrappy's 4 18"  subs is a recipe for nothing good.

• 1 month later...

Glad you guys all do the worrying for me.

If you ever start worrying yourself, they make encasement products that are basically glorified primer, you just paint the stuff on and it seals all the fibers in.  Might be a decent compromise.  

http://www.safeencasement.com/products/index.htm

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Some states will come out, establish negative air flow, and confirm it empirically, then remove the asbestos or contain it.  It takes a team.  When we bought our house, the seller reduced the price by enough to cover the abatement and also to cover the guy who went around to check for lead based paint.