New! home theater build project

Scrappydue

Any plans to paint or change out the ceiling tiles?
wish i could but my dad wont let me. so the plan is, i bought even more of the dmd fabric that my panels are made out of and gonna cover the full width of the room and 64 inches out kind of like before but not crappy looking. however, i tried that yesterday and it just wasn't working out for me. so now the new plan is to make a huge panel or two smaller ones and stretch the fabric same as a panel and the attach those to the ceiling.

if that doesn't work i will just paint the dang thing, and then when i move just repaint it white. 

Scrappydue, that was a huge project to get done in such a short amount of time.  It really looks great and should provide endless enjoyment for the family and little Scrappy Jr.  Excellent choice in room color and the audio recess cabinet was a great ideal.  I love the riser  for the seats.

click

Edited by derrickdj1

• Moderators

Wow, so much to like in this build thread but this is the best part to me.

i am very thankful he knows how to do just about everything. also enjoy father son projects more than anything!

No matter how many homes you live in or how much your gear changes, the memories you shared with your father will last for a lifetime.

Excellent job my friend.  I can't wait to start on my new false wall.  :D

wish i could but my dad wont let me. so the plan is, i bought even more of the dmd fabric that my panels are made out of and gonna cover the full width of the room and 64 inches out kind of like before but not crappy looking. however, i tried that yesterday and it just wasn't working out for me. so now the new plan is to make a huge panel or two smaller ones and stretch the fabric same as a panel and the attach those to the ceiling.

if that doesn't work i will just paint the dang thing, and then when i move just repaint it white. 

Those look an awful lot like ordinary tongue-and-groove ceiling tiles. They are either nailed up or glued. If they are asbestos, you could get that in the air ripping it down, and you know how bad that stuff is. If it is asbestos, it is much better to leave it up and encapsulate it by covering with paint. You could take a little nip to a lab and have it analyzed. They may be cellulose, but it all depends on age and manufacturer.

You are definitely right trying to darken that bright ceiling. The screen light reflecting off that white ceiling really increases the ambient light levels in a theater.

Those look an awful lot like ordinary tongue-and-groove ceiling tiles. They are either nailed up or glued. If they are asbestos, you could get that in the air ripping it down, and you know how bad that stuff is. If it is asbestos, it is much better to leave it up and encapsulate it by covering with paint. You could take a little nip to a lab and have it analyzed. They may be cellulose, but it all depends on age and manufacturer.

You are definitely right trying to darken that bright ceiling. The screen light reflecting off that white ceiling really increases the ambient light levels in a theater.

mustang I know for a fact that its asbestos. That's why my dad doesn't want me to jack with it. I'll keep trying to talk him into painting it. I'd rather do that than the fabric.

Fantastic project progression pictures.  Love the color scheme!  What kind of primer and paint did you use on the ducts?  My basement has been in a project state for a couple years.  I know I can gain at least 4 inches if I remove the drywall and framing around them.  Have you had any problems with duct rattling?  After seeing these pics, I could see either painting mine or doing some foam/fabric panels.  Great job! 

You have been both quiet and very busy! Looks amazing Steven!
i have been and thank you!!

All this time I thought you were out planking or something....
ahh apparently you didnt see my pics of my son planking in my other thread i just started.  

Excellent job!!
thanks!

Fantastic project progression pictures.  Love the color scheme!  What kind of primer and paint did you use on the ducts?  My basement has been in a project state for a couple years.  I know I can gain at least 4 inches if I remove the drywall and framing around them.  Have you had any problems with duct rattling?  After seeing these pics, I could see either painting mine or doing some foam/fabric panels.  Great job! 
the primer got the same kilz as the wood paneling. it covered great. i have heard an occasional rattle from the duct. there was more from the vent on the bottom but i took it off and put a seal around it to isolate it. works great now. there is always a little rattle. unless you put 30,000$ into your room and acoustics. 4 18' subs are gonna cause stuff to rattle.   B)

mustang I know for a fact that its asbestos. That's why my dad doesn't want me to jack with it. I'll keep trying to talk him into painting it. I'd rather do that than the fabric.

Here are diy instructions for painting. The best method is to cover it with drywall or pay to have it abated by a contractor. 

Great job!!! That looks really good. When I saw the first picture putting down the wood/tile at the entry I got worried the whole room was getting it lol. I breathed a sigh of relief in the next photos as I saw the padding and carpet going in hahaha. Great job buddy, I bet it sounds amazing in there too.