Good early to mid 70's ss receiver?

Rick J B

• Moderators
Bought a receiver today. Got a Sansui 8080. Its in great condition but I'm still going to have Paul at Many Moons go through it to make sure its up to snuff.

I had one a long time and and loved it, that or the HK's would have been my first choices, just from what I had in the past.

it's been a long time since I heard an 8080, it would be nice to compare with some of the others from back then, it wasn't easy to do back then, they were not cheap.

Congratulations

• Like 1

Bought a receiver today. Got a Sansui 8080. Its in great condition but I'm still going to have Paul at Many Moons go through it to make sure its up to snuff.

I had one a long time and and loved it, that or the HK's would have been my first choices, just from what I had in the past.

it's been a long time since I heard an 8080, it would be nice to compare with some of the others from back then, it wasn't easy to do back then, they were not cheap.

Congratulations

Isn't that the truth. I remember as a pup driving to Columbia to visit the stereo shops when I was in high school in the 70's and just drooling over the big receivers and such of the day. Shoot one like this would have taken most of the money I made over a summer. :lol:

My wife is going to have a stroke. :unsure2:

Got a H. H. Scott 342 comming also.

scott_342.jpg

This one is in nice shape. It just screams 60's.

Looks nice and it has a loudness control, great for low level listening.

I've been reading that the tone is really nice on these old Scott receivers.

The gent who owns Cathedral Speakers really like these old late 60's ss units once they're brought up to speed with some new caps through out.

I'm looking to put a decent, partially vintage, partially DIY system together for my office.

My budget is modest, but, I'm not willing to sell my soul! :P

Anyway, what I'm interested in particularly, is an early to mid 70's ss reciever from someone like Marantz or HK, any ball park suggestions on where to start looking?

TIA, Rick :)

Sansui AU-717 or AU-919.

• Moderators

Now you have three, well done, you sure don't waste any time, I like it. :emotion-21:

Rick J B, on 29 Aug 2014 - 3:55 PM, said:Rick J B, on 29 Aug 2014 - 3:55 PM, said:Rick J B, on 29 Aug 2014 - 3:55 PM, said: I'm looking to put a decent, partially vintage, partially DIY system together for my office.
Edited by dtel

Now you have three, well done, you sure don't waste any time, I like it. :emotion-21:

Rick J B, on 29 Aug 2014 - 3:55 PM, said:Rick J B, on 29 Aug 2014 - 3:55 PM, said:Rick J B, on 29 Aug 2014 - 3:55 PM, said: I'm looking to put a decent, partially vintage, partially DIY system together for my office.

I've been know to get carried away at times. But I'm done, now I just need to get them reworked for the long haul.

It'll be interesting to see how different these are. I know the Marantz and the Sansui will be quite good, but I'm not sure about the Scott. We'll see.

Okay, I just couldn't resist, bought one more. :blush:

A Marantz 2265 in nice shape.

572265.jpg

Now the wife will really have a stroke!! Once you get 'em all up to snuff, line them up and compare. Let us know what you like best and why.

Yeah, she'll be on the Coach purse website in a flash. :o

• 4 years later...
On 8/31/2014 at 5:53 AM, alexg5775 said:

I have heard many modern receivers like Pioneer, denon, HK, onkyo; although non have been the flagship model or super high end and they all sound ok at best. Power rating are somehow over rated, i just dont like how they sound once volume knob passes half way, poor build quality, they sound thin, not as detailed, to me. If you get your self a recapped marantz, sansui, pioneer (just to name a few) i think they offer superior sonics and build quality. I have a NOS valve restored fisher 500c and this thing sounds jaw dropping good. You can get your self one of these fisher on ebay say for 400-500 on ebay, send it to Craig at NOS valve for like another ~500 (depending on what you want done to it) have it restored and with fairly efficient speakers i think VERY hard to beat. Same for these other SS receivers. Well worth the research and little work done to find your self a good tech, if unit has not been restored yet. These are my 2 cents.

Alex

Agreed....