What speaker cable for Cornwall III ?

MarioRuoppolo

I'm the only cable guy around here, well one of the few anyway. A solid copper core cable is always my choice. Audio Quest Type 2 or Type 4 sound very nice. Very affordable. Three bucks a foot.

Minor thread drift;  A question for the Cable Guy. Is solid 2-wire telephone cable any good for speakers?

+++

A member of another forum got p.o.'d at the cheap cable he had been getting, so he wrote to all the cable manufacturers in the US and asked for samples.  He said THIS is the best wire he heard.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-theater/speaker-wire/kord-speaker-wire/

I have been using KnuKonceptz 10 and 12 for over 2 years, I think it's excellent.    A few reasons why I think that....it's easy to work with, looks pretty good, very good quality construction, and it's priced well.  Shipping is fast, the website is fairly decent and customer service is good.  Overall, lots of positives.  JMHO

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

The guy I bought my CW III's from threw in some Audioquest Type 4 and it's a good match. Actually noticed an improvement over the Monster I'd been using. Blue Jeans cable in the HT (at least in the front speakers and IC's) was also a noticeable upgrade over the Monster I used to have. I'm not a big spender on cable, but some small upgrades have improved my systems. YMMV.

I want some of what Chuck has been smoking. Those CO folks have it soooo good... 

Well maybe I did buy off on some of the snake oil the marketers are pushing, and maybe the improvement was only in my imagination. I dunno. It ain't what I've been smoking at any rate 'cause I'm getting to be an old fart and way past that.  I do believe that Dean's recommendation makes sense and will probably go in that direction next time. I appreciate the constructive suggestions. Thanks.

Save your money for things that will improve the sound, not simply change it.

Thebes, Every change you make to your system changes the sound. It's up to the listener to determine if the change was for the better or not. We are not listening to measurements and if you are, you are on a fools journey. For most people here standard stranded zip cord (say that fast three times) is their reference standard, it's just not my reference standard, nor the choice of many audiophiles.

You get my vote for the most confrontational post of the thread! It's a good thing that a flame war didn't ensue.

Edited by psg

It's not just the wire, it's also the connection.  I have simply cut new ends on my speaker wires at times or loosened and retightened the terminals to get a new "clean grip" on the wire..........and heard a sound improvement...........as if I didn't have a previous good connection.

Save your money for things that will improve the sound, not simply change it.

Thebes, Every change you make to your system changes the sound. It's up to the listener to determine if the change was for the better or not. We are not listening to measurements and if you are, you are on a fools journey. For most people here standard stranded zip cord (say that fast three times) is their reference standard, it's just not my reference standard, nor the choice of many audiophiles.

You get my vote for the most confrontational post of the thread! It's a good thing that a flame war didn't ensue.

Oh my. You need to spice things up once in a while. This was a good thread, everybody got their viewpoint in and the OP got the full info. I'd say we done good.

The ancient Greeks knew speaker wire issues.

The lion called the sheep to ask her if his expensive speaker wires sounded better. She said No, so he bit off her head for a fool. He called the wolf and asked him. He said Yes, so he tore him in pieces for a flatterer. At last he called the fox and asked him.  The fox said, Truly I am deaf and can't say.

The moral: Wise men say nothing in dangerous times.

http://aesopsfables.org/F55_The-Lion-and-His-Three-Councilors.html

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

I'm the only cable guy around here, well one of the few anyway. A solid copper core cable is always my choice. Audio Quest Type 2 or Type 4 sound very nice. Very affordable. Three bucks a foot.

Minor thread drift;  A question for the Cable Guy. Is solid 2-wire telephone cable any good for speakers?

+++

A member of another forum got p.o.'d at the cheap cable he had been getting, so he wrote to all the cable manufacturers in the US and asked for samples.  He said THIS is the best wire he heard.

I have been using KnuKonceptz 10 and 12 for over 2 years, I think it's excellent.    A few reasons why I think that....it's easy to work with, looks pretty good, very good quality construction, and it's priced well.  Shipping is fast, the website is fairly decent and customer service is good.  Overall, lots of positives.  JMHO

The price on this wire is very reasonable, might have to give it a try for some home rolled cables.

The ancient Greeks knew speaker wire issues.

The lion called the sheep to ask her if his expensive speaker wires sounded better. She said No, so he bit off her head for a fool. He called the wolf and asked him. He said Yes, so he tore him in pieces for a flatterer. At last he called the fox and asked him. The fox said, Truly I am deaf and can't say.

The moral: Wise men say nothing in dangerous times.

http://aesopsfables.org/F55_The-Lion-and-His-Three-Councilors.html

Very good , lol.

Others managed to do without implying other people are fools not worthy of being called audiophiles. :(

Not what I said at all. I said relying on measurements instead of listening is a fools journey, the implication is totally fabricated on your part. My statements are only an opinion, I'm sure Thebes is a big boy and can take a contrary opinion without thinking I'm making a personal attack . 

+++

"A member of another forum got p.o.'d at the cheap cable he had been getting, so he wrote to all the cable manufacturers in the US and asked for samples.  He said THIS is the best wire he heard."

Um that would be me, it all started a few years back when i ordered wire from parts express, the wire #10 Ga their "Best" would not take solder? WTF?

Pure copper as they stated should take solder no problem, i sent some back to them and they confirmed and refunded my money.

Do not know if their stuff has to date improved, however it set me in search of dam good wire.

Wrote 13 to 15 company's as i remember, about 10 responded w/samples as requested, Knuconcept was hands down the best quality for the money.

As far as "Hearing a difference" ? nope, will not say that i can.

Ohms law dictates my standard(s), electrons travel around a strand of wire, kind of makes sense to run 12 to 10 Ga. fine strand wire when you think about it that way.  

"As we increase the frequency in AC (alternating current), the current begins to shift from an "evenly distributed" flow to something else. The center of the conductor will begin to carry fewer electrons and the outer surface or "skin" of the conductor will begin to carry more. It isn't surprising that we call this phenomenon skin effect and we see it in high frequency applications. In really high frequency circuits, particularly high power circuits, we see "wire" being substituted with a wave guide to carry the high frequency, high amperage currents used in applications like radar. The household microwave oven uses a waveguide to carry the power into the cavity where it heats what you put in.
For anything the AC power grid, which works at about 60 cycles per second (60 Hertz) in America, there isn't a substantial problem with this phenomenon.   Wikipedia the article on skin effect"

Never mind.

Well ok, try this, leave the ill informed to their own thoughts on how Ohm's law works.

Been in Ham radio since the age of 10, pretty much makes that 50+ years.

Last job: Trident II D5

"D5"?  I do know what Trident II might be....

Trident II D5    youtube it.

Others managed to do without implying other people are fools not worthy of being called audiophiles. :(

Not what I said at all. I said relying on measurements instead of listening is a fools journey, the implication is totally fabricated on your part. My statements are only an opinion, I'm sure Thebes is a big boy and can take a contrary opinion without thinking I'm making a personal attack . 

When on a forum, you are in fact addressing not just Thebes, but everyone; otherwise use PM.  If you are sure that your comments could not possibly be read as confrontational by anyone on the forum, then at least I have done my bit to tell you that you are wrong about that.  You are free to do what you want with that piece of information.