Which 2" compression driver?

absolve2525

I understand that BMS is highly recommended, but I've heard good things about the latest Eminence Ti large format drivers also. I'm using K-horns with Crites 4500 crossovers on Vtrac horns and Beyma Cp 25 tweeters. I'd love to find a bargain, obviously. Thanks for suggestions!

Edited by absolve2525

Bob Crites recommends this one on K-402 horns:

http://www.usspeaker.com/Faital%20Pro%20HF200-1.htm

I've heard the dual-diaphragm BMS compression driver (as in using your midrange horn as a 2-way loudspeaker instead of 3-way that you have now) - and I wasn't impressed: YMMV. 

I do recommend EQing it properly if you use them:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/74255-2-tractrix-wood-horn-bms-4590-listen/

I've access to BMS compression drivers for ~50% off the retail price. Coax 4592ND is a giant stride and a real point source but there is a problem. if you want to cross them about 300hz and use their potential in this areas, you have to use large horns. large horns are less effective when freq. goes up. so you'll lose high frequency. you'll also lose dispersion control in hf region more easier than a dedicated tweeter.  BMS 4592ND-MID is something different. every accurate sound with good timbre in the right horn. a tweeter with controlled directivity if placed time aligned will do the job. I'd use Beyma CP-25s with constant directivity horn, of the best horn tweets I've ever heard.

BMS CDs are worth every penny. TAD with beryllium is what I'd like to hear and compare with BMS. 

Edited by Arash

The coax version supposedly doesn't sound its best with the stock network they supply, but then, it's designed for commercial applications. Someone designed a good filter section for that transition, and if you're not using it, you probably aren't going to be impressed. 

Those who have actually tried both ways, prefer the 4592-MID with a separate tweeter.

Edited by DeanG

The coax version supposedly doesn't sound it's best with the stock network they supply, but then, it's designed for commercial applications. Someone designed a good filter section for that transition, and if you're not using it, you probably aren't going to be impressed. 

Those who have actually tried both ways, prefer the 4592-MID with a separate tweeter.

That what I have in my setup, the 4592-Mid 16ohm version with Fostex tweeters time aligned just awesome!!!

Thanks for the input! I'm currently using K55M and EV 2inch adapters. How big of an impact does the high quality 2inch driver make? I understand Be drivers are great, owning some Yamaha speakers that feature them. I'll have to wait for TAD, too expensive. I like metal diaphragms, hence my interest in the Eminence also. I'm curious about the BMS, what material do they use? I understand the phenolic drivers have a warmth to the sound. Is this lack of detail? Argh I wish I could hear them first hand! Qualitative comparisons are greatly appreciated.

Edited by absolve2525

Thanks for the input! I'm currently using K55M and EV 2inch adapters. How big of an impact does the high quality 2inch driver make?

The biggest difference I noticed immediately was the total absence of strain; it has a very  "relaxed sound" especially with vocals.

I do not play loud, so this difference does not come from the 2 inch drivers beeing capable of higher power-handling.

Nico

• Like 1