Dual Centers?

vandec54

That's a good link above..

also sure you could run 2 centers. simply jump neg to neg and pos to pos.

To be real here I have to say there may be an adjustment to render your use of the single center into a situation you would prefer to hear.

Im reading your signature considering what you have listed as your setup and I can only see that if your room were disproportionately proportioned or your seating arrangement results in not hearing the center full or properly may result in not getting the setup you have listed to not hear the center to your preference. I would suggest adjusting your receiver first unless your listening position is obscured in some fashion from hearing a proper center channel. Adding another center has at times been an idea of my own although with proper setting and settings on receiver then I normally find the single center ample at projecting sound.

A more large center would be my next step rather than dual centers. rf3's with 1 rc3 seems just fine

• Like 1

I watch movies and sports from my set-up. It seems a high percentage of my sound (mostly dialogue) comes from my center. Very little comes from my towers. Wouldn't it make sense to boost the center some how? Would a 5 or 7 "fit"? I don't really want to spend the $ on RF-7 towers but I could on a center. Thoughts?

• Like 1

turn the center up and the mains down on your receiver to the point it sounds correct then try to work on the center compensation from there.... it will take a couple days to get used to it although you will and it will sound good I would near guarantee. That setup was made to work together...very nice setup. basically perfect for anybody, anywhere. Until people get to going bigger like mentioned it never ends at that point...

turn the center up and the mains down on your receiver to the point it sounds correct then try to work on the center compensation from there.... (respectful snip!)

I'm not so sure I agree Beeker, but you know a lot more than me.

What gives me pause on that idea is that my Onkyo 717 has Audyssey, and it sets the balance between the speakers at reference level.  In my specific case, my center is +4 and my CF-4 mains are -2, but that's because my center is an MTM with 7" woofs, and they won't keep up with the mighty Klipsch's.  Even set like this, my mains are quiet and the center is dominant when watching TV in 5.1 mode with Neo6 processing.

I'm afraid if I followed your advice and ignored the Audyssey settings, I'd have to boost my center even more.  I'm not sure if it would balance correctly at reference level which is 82 on my Onk. 

Your thoughts?

Edited by wvu80

turn the center up and the mains down on your receiver to the point it sounds correct then try to work on the center compensation from there.... (respectful snip!)

I'm not so sure I agree Beeker, but you know a lot more than me.

What gives me pause on that idea is that my Onkyo 717 has Audyssey, and it sets the balance between the speakers at reference level.  In my specific case, my center is +4 and my CF-4 mains are -2, but that's because my center is an MTM with 7" woofs, and they won't keep up with the mighty Klipsch's.  Even set like this, my mains are quiet and the center is dominant when watching TV in 5.1 mode with Neo6 processing.

I'm afraid if I followed your advice and ignored the Audyssey settings, I'd have to boost my center even more.  I'm doubtful  it would balance correctly at reference level, volume set to 82 on my Onk.

nobody knows more than anybody around here. we all know what we need to know and that's all we need.

You have a point and I understand. Im not an audesey person. I have it on 2 of my receivers im using right now but aint using it...my buddys that have it as well use my radio as a reference but that's cause I went for broke and bought the best beat up speakers I could steal...anyhow I like to adjust myself for this very reason...I have 250 wpc amp running my chorus ii mains and my center heresy is ran directly off a receiver right now with 65 watts to it...then adjusted to preference. You need a bigger speaker maybe. Them cf3's are hogs! seriously...yet again adjusting for movies would be a snap. You have to adjust to what works...if you don't like how it sounds change it...you know what I mean im sure...center channel can be very tough to get dialed in...it takes time and the person needs dialed in to the center at the same time in a way...

I think I have everything adjusted pretty well......I am just getting greedy and want a little more.

Can I get more of a center without compromising my system?

Uh oh! you better wait to buy new klipsch may just release the big new sweet speakers everybody needs! I do feel you have a very ample and great setup to use in up to 400sq ft...from that noise ratio on I would suggest possibly larger..

Some speakers can be clustered.

Is it ideal? No, but neither is not having enough capability in the center channel for whatever reason.

Does it work in a real application? Yes. As mentioned first, some pairs can be clustered if need be....with negligible effects.

Can this be done with the RC3-II? Not in the horizontal plane. It's a D'Appolito.

I think Beeker's got the right idea adjusting levels.  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

great thoughts by all, I fiddle with the settings all the time. Just looking for a bigger sound

I would try waiting to buy if you do buy(and just a larger center may do the trick? but like said it never ends at that point etc...). Sounding like klipsch is releasing new stuff in the next 6 months. They already have although I would stick with what you have...the new stuff that's out may do the job but not as good as what you have imo

great thoughts by all, I fiddle with the settings all the time. Just looking for a bigger sound

LOL, you are preaching to the choir, my friend. 

I used to race motorcycles.  We used to say "if you want more horsepower, get a bigger horse."  I'm voting for you getting a bigger center.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Some speakers can be clustered.

Is it ideal? No, but neither is not having enough capability in the center channel for whatever reason.

Does it work in a real application? Yes. As mentioned first, some pairs can be clustered if need be....with negligible effects.

Can this be done with the RC3-II? Not in the horizontal plane. It's a D'Appolito.

I think Beeker's got the right idea adjusting levels.  :emotion-21:

Thanks for agreement...I will say sounds he is wanting bigger all the way around though. rf7/rc64 would be a great upgrade if you could find them on the economical side...then you should be quenched for a good nother 5-8 years

• Moderators
Just looking for a bigger sound

Honestly, there is only so much you can get out of the RC-3II.  That's simply physics.  If you want a "bigger" sound from your center, I would think you would want to look for an RC-7.  It's a fantastic center.  It would not be voice matched but that might not be a bad thing considering it would be a big upgrade for your center.

Keep in mind, the vast majority of what you hear during a movie should come out of your center as this is where everything is happening....on screen.  But you should still hear plenty coming from your mains (mainly the music score, panning of effects etc).

Also do you have an SPL Meter to make sure all of your speakers are the same level?

• Like 1

Just looking for a bigger sound

Honestly, there is only so much you can get out of the RC-3II.  That's simply physics.  If you want a "bigger" sound from your center, I would think you would want to look for an RC-7.  It's a fantastic center.  It would not be voice matched but that might not be a bad thing considering it would be a big upgrade for your center.

Keep in mind, the vast majority of what you hear during a movie should come out of your center as this is where everything is happening....on screen.  But you should still hear plenty coming from your mains (mainly the music score, panning of effects etc).

Also do you have an SPL Meter to make sure all of your speakers are the same level?

Yeah my cholesterol is high so I better get out of this thread...whaooo, my BP too...later all! great luck to you on your journey op!