Newbie looking to upgrade crossovers on my Reference RF-3 ii

ninjai18

Which type of capacitors should I get? There are several different kinds. Which Mills resistor on this page should I choose? http://www.parts-exp...e-resistors/301 - What are the wattage and ohms ratings for the Mills resistors you are suggesting? Am I replacing the current resistors, or adding the Mills resistor in addition to the one that's already there to attenuate the high end? Any chance on a direct link to the caps and resistors? :D

If you think the schematic is correct, REPLACE with the same value as what is already there, i.e., if there is a 10 watt, 2 ohm, 5%, replace with the same.

The caps should be non polarized and follow the same thing. A 12 microfarad, 100v rating.

If you change the capacitance value of the caps, you will change the crossover point. The voltage rating can be higher, but the part will be physically larger, same with the resistor. This will make it harder to place on the printed circuit board.

As Dean said, the Dayton caps and Mills, non inductive resistors will be better than what is there now.

Bruce

Awesome, this is super helpful! It's starting to click. :) I noticed many capacitors on parts express do not say if they are polarized or not... I noticed Dean also recommends using Audyn caps, which do you think would be better, Audyn or Dayton? I have also seen Bennic suggested. He said to replace the Orange-ish oval shaped caps, are the two orange caps the same? I don't notice any markings on them that differentiate them..

A wise man one told me "shut your mouth and open your ears" Dean said use audyn caps. WHY are you looking at two other sets?

Moray has some good points, especially regarding having the right tools and practice. I also think one should able to trace out simple circuits, read a schematic, understand a little bit about what the parts do, etc. a decent online tutorial on soldering helps too, which is what I did. I had the advantage of endless hours on the phone with Bob and Al too -- I try to pass some of it on when I can. I think we need a basic checklist for people that they can use to help them determine whether or not they should be tackling a project, or saving up to have someone else do it for them.

The pictures aren't that great, the boards might be salvageable.

I honestly don't think it is. There's stuff you can't see in the pictures. Would you mind helping me through how to connect the parts up on a piece of wood? That is the route I really want to go now. I don't have the time to wait in line to have them done for me. I also don't have old crossovers to work on. I'd like to learned how to wire them up on a piece of pine board, it sounds really fun and doesn't look too hard. I just need to know what connects to what.

Since I'm just starting to do things for myself again, I take this thing thats called a cellphone and take all kinds of pictures so I have a detailed picture of what goes where.

Why don't some of you just say you don't want to help instead of telling me how unskilled I am and throwing around "I told ya so" remarks? Seriously, no one is forcing you to help. Enough with the rude elitism. If you want to help me learn how all this works, great. If not, than please excuse yourself from the discussion. I did follow the advise given but obviously made a mistake in the process, it happens. Get over it, jeez. I never once said I was a pro or didn't need help, that's why I'm asking!

Why do you guys think it's such a big deal for me to ask for step by step instructions? I have looked around online and can't seem to find a step by step guide for a crossover similar to this one. I wasn't aware this was a forum on "parenting" novices who are asking for help.. It's a shame, because this thread could really help other people who have RF-3's that are new to this but could do it with a step by step guide. Guess that's too much to ask.. (funny, because I sware I've seen plenty of other posts guiding newbies through other projects

Why don't some of you just say you don't want to help instead of telling me how unskilled I am and throwing around "I told ya so" remarks? Seriously, no one is forcing you to help. Enough with the rude elitism. If you want to help me learn how all this works, great. If not, than please excuse yourself from the discussion. I did follow the advise given but obviously made a mistake in the process, it happens. Get over it, jeez. I never once said I was a pro or didn't need help, that's why I'm asking!

Why do you guys think it's such a big deal for me to ask for step by step instructions? I have looked around online and can't seem to find a step by step guide for a crossover similar to this one. I wasn't aware this was a forum on "parenting" novices who are asking for help.. It's a shame, because this thread could really help other people who have RF-3's that are new to this but could do it with a step by step guide. Guess that's too much to ask.. (funny, because I sware I've seen plenty of other posts guiding newbies through other projects)

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

1 Buy the equipment that you have been told countless times to buy

2 Learn how to read a schematic as you have been told countless times to do

3 Practice as you have been told countless times to do

4 Order the parts that you have been told to order

5 If you ask a question and have been given an answer, do not question if it is the correct answer as you have done countless times

6 Stop crying that no one is helping you, just criticizing you as you have done countless times

7 look harder online for answers to your questions as you have been told countless times

8 Stop insulting people who re trying to help you as you have done countless times

9 Show some respect to the people on this forum who have more knowledge than many of us will ever have.

10 SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND OPEN YOUR EARS. DON'T JUST HEAR WHAT YOU ARE BEING TOLD, LISTEN TO WHAT IS BEING SAID!!

NOW I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU-

ARE YOU READING THIS MESSAGE AND THINKING ABOUT IT OR IS YOUR EGO SAYING THAT i AM JUST HERE HARRASSING YOU AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT?

Amazed at some of the load mouth know-it-all parenty pricks there are in here. Good god. Just f**k off already. Got what I needed elsewhere. Bye bye, assholes.

P.S. Those big red letters were super tough. Really, I was shaking.

Edited by ninjai18

If you check your personal mail, you would see that I drew up a layout diagram of the crossover for you.

Take it or leave it.

That pic just shows where all the leads connect to. Not really a layout is it?

When someone mentions learning how to read a schematic, or tips on soldering, that's not really a lecture. It's advice.

I feel I never lectured or insulted you. Nor did some other posters.

Nontheless, I'm done helping Blake the flake.

Sorry Mike, I didn't notice the PM. How about we start over? I was being a prick, fine, I admit it. I love Klipsch products and would like to just get along with all of you.

Edited by ninjai18
  • Like 1

Sorry Mike, I didn't notice the PM. How about we start over? I was being a prick, fine, I admit it. I love Klipsch products and would like to just get along with all of you.

Okay all you very "welcoming" forum brothers that "misbehaved" on this thread, it looks like we have a sincere apology here. :huh: 

Let's just show a bit of :wub: from here on out.

Ninjai18, glad you decided to stay after all.

Bill 

• Like 1

I'll get some pictures today. What would cause a cap to short?

Not listening to Dean, then crapping all over them in another newbie's thread on building his own 8" enclosures could be the cause. But that's just a guess.

This goes to prove one of my points where I was ripped apart for saying that people in today's society just take from everyone without giving back. There's no sense of community with today's society and everyone wants to either screw someone over in the long run, or take take take without giving back.

My own opinion, even though I know I will be scorned by the OP and a few others, is that, if you came on here for help, pushed back at the people offering the help, then went on another thread where someone else was pretty much asking the same thing you did, and then sh!t all over them, you got what you deserved on the crossovers. Karma.

I personally would have said, here you go Dean, take my $40.00 or so and fix me up. But doing DIY and then scolding said help is just wrong in my book.

Edited by Jim

My own opinion, even though I know I will be scorned by the OP and a few others, is that, if you came on here for help, pushed back at the people offering the help, then went on another thread where someone else was pretty much asking the same thing you did, and then **** all over them, you got what you deserved on the crossovers. Karma. I personally would have said, here you go Dean, take my $40.00 or so and fix me up. But doing DIY and then scolding said help is just wrong in my book.

This point has been beat to death.  He's apologized, let's move on.

• Like 1

I'll get some pictures today. What would cause a cap to short?

Not listening to Dean, then crapping all over them in another newbie's thread on building his own 8" enclosures could be the cause. But that's just a guess.

This goes to prove one of my points where I was ripped apart for saying that people in today's society just take from everyone without giving back. There's no sense of community with today's society and everyone wants to either screw someone over in the long run, or take take take without giving back.

My own opinion, even though I know I will be scorned by the OP and a few others, is that, if you came on here for help, pushed back at the people offering the help, then went on another thread where someone else was pretty much asking the same thing you did, and then **** all over them, you got what you deserved on the crossovers. Karma.

I personally would have said, here you go Dean, take my $40.00 or so and fix me up. But doing DIY and then scolding said help is just wrong in my book.

Oh for god sake, stop reading way WAY too much into such little matters. I followed the advice to the best of my abilities, so lay off it. And now I'm trying to "screw people over"? I'm sorry, what exactly did I "take" from anyone...? Good god man... Lay off the speeches of how "society today sucks" - you are turning this into a way bigger issue than it really is.

It's astonishing that this can actually be spun into me being a "user" or "screwing people over" - let me guess, you think I'm a... CONMAN! *rollseyes*

Edited by ninjai18