How to get the best sound out of Heresy III

Lud Mil

Ever hear a Magnepan 3.6, 20, Sanders model 10, Triangle Celius, or Infinity RS1Bs?

Yes on the Maggies, no to the rest.

Regardless, that does not discount the HIII's ability to present a 3 dimensional sound or low level detail.

Proper component matching(source, preamp, amp) and room will decide that.

Bill

• Like 1

Ton of great info on this thread. Iv ran near every style and or variance heresy made in only the past several years alone extensively. Down to earth economically the best way to get a pair of h3 to go solo with no sub is to use a processor. A cheap old eq will create bass but does over extend the highs a bit but can be adjusted with the knobs...The next option is good tube amps in my opinion and even solid state can tackle the feat...It all depends what you listen to and what your preference in sound reproduction is...The eq will do the job very well in my experience so iv normally went just there....I love any kind of heresy without sub on a processor. Pairing heresy with a sub in my opinion is more difficult than many go through to tailor the sound the way I prefer and in many times the way material should sound. Heresy imo sound best electronically processed with no sub in analog stereo. As mentioned a simple eq does very well to provide material listening as it was meant to sound.

An overemphasized custom network also provides wealth in heresy sound yet again not so economical

Next step would be a cornwall. Regardless tailoring the sound of any speaker to your soul can take some time imo...trial and error

Ever hear a Magnepan 3.6, 20, Sanders model 10, Triangle Celius, or Infinity RS1Bs?

Regardless, that does not discount the HIII's ability to present a 3 dimensional sound or low level detail.

Bill

The Heresys do not present as good a 3D image or detail on the same level that the loudspeakers I listed do, but when Quicksilvers are hooked up to some of these speakers it's pretty clear that the Heresys are the limiting factor. Not the other way around. It's not a fair comparison, the speakers I listed are very fine systems and come with substantial cost however I will stand by my statement that the Quicksivers out pace the Heresys.

Sometimes I use a Sansui EQ which does a good job for the low end and never needed a sub, and yes the Heresy IIIs will take as much bass as you give them without distortiing which is one of the benefits of a sealed box. I wonder if this is the reason why sealed subs are a lot more expensive than ported. Without the EQ I get a cleaner sound, so I prefer the Sansui AU-919 bass adjustment. I would love to compare the bass reproduction of Fortes, Cornwalls and Heresy III. Again, the Heresy's need a bit of help either from the amp or EQ but the bass it produces is very clean, fast and accurate, I wonder what will the other 2 do in this case.

• Like 1

Bill

The Heresys do not present as good a 3D image or detail on the same level that the loudspeakers I listed do, but when Quicksilvers are hooked up to some of these speakers it's pretty clear that the Heresys are the limiting factor. Not the other way around. It's not a fair comparison, the speakers I listed are very fine systems and come with substantial cost however I will stand by my statement that the Quicksivers out pace the Heresys.

In my case, the Heresy III with Sansui AU-919 and Rega CD player give me incredible 3D image and detail.

Edited by Lud Mil
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have found the IsoAcoustics R430 stands which are 17w x9 d to be perfect .this patented technologies my uncle turned me on to working with monitors in pro audio. Go to tube and look them up.for a demonstration .only 6 inches high

The speaker and stand work together in a sence rather then the hard vibration of a big stand these Alsohave adjustable tilt before and after on stand vs the floor is quite noticeable I am on wall to wall carpet

And hardwood both benefit delivered under $180 Sweetwater .com musicians go there all the time.

I have found the IsoAcoustics R430 stands which are 17w x9 d to be perfect .this patented technologies my uncle turned me on to working with monitors in pro audio. Go to tube and look them up.for a demonstration .only 6 inches high

The speaker and stand work together in a sence rather then the hard vibration of a big stand these Alsohave adjustable tilt before and after on stand vs the floor is quite noticeable I am on wall to wall carpet

And hardwood both benefit delivered under $180 Sweetwater .com musicians go there all the time.

Another thing that works well is a treatment call AVM -anti vibration magic.

Look it up several very good reviews. I put this on of all resistors, and capacitors in amplifier ,Dave cd including loudspeakers and on glass in fuses.

Xover and on magnets throat of speakers it is cumulative it removes vibrations everything sounds a bit more settled and focused. Just give a couple hours to dry good. Non toxic ,and non conductive even a dab on top of vacuum tubes and a ring around them

It is a damper with a rubber like com pound. Don't knock it until you have added in your audio equipment.

My uncle works in pro audio and he said these patented stands are great,and they are check out

ISO Acoustics the Big R430 stands are perfect they has special vibration absorption only

6 inches tall and can tilt. Watch the videos on Utube gor a demo. I have regular High quality tubular stands filled with sand. Not even close. Even Skylan stands for this application near the floor or on a counter none better. The glare is gone more detail as well as focus.

One gem of an Amplifier look for a Temple Audio Bantam one for roughly $850 U.S dollars including shipping.

A hand built amplifier Dual mono 16 Mosfets 40 wpc all wood front panel great rf remote ,even a wifi app blue tooth Analogdevises sounds like a refined Vacuum tube amp .it even has a pre out for a sub

And very high quality passive preamp all ladder resistors,snd relay controlled.all hand built in the U.K.

It is better then my brothers Bryson 4b, every bit as good as my Pass labs first watt and with a very high quality preamplifier section ,two amplifiers in one case. fantastic with Klipsch loudspeakers smooth and detailed !!

• 4 weeks later...

I replied in another post about rebuilding the stock crossover withTop superior quality capacitors,and resistors,

And AVM vibration treatment which is night and day better then even what most builders sell as far as Parts quality ,

Nothing more.i challenge no one on expertise.

One thing you can do for little money and instant improvement sweet water sound sells these $89 each delivered.

The IsoAcoustics R430 stands they are used a lot of pro audio the sit on the floor just put posts in front ,tilt all the way back just gave the front 2 inches out from the front of the stand..even under the subwoofer . They tighten up focus and articulation.

A very economical way to improve the Heresy speaker ,and or sub.p.s take the riser off to couple to the stands.

The Heresys ability to resolve low level detail and 3D space is limited

That I disagree totally, especially 3D space.

Bill

I've heard the 3.6, RS1b's, owned several Kappas....they are really different animals - but with proper room treatment and setup, a Heresy can literally sing and translate 3D space (at low levels at that). 

• Like 1