How to get the best sound out of Heresy III

Lud Mil

Throw them on stands at ear level toed in and add a Table Tuba for a subwoofer, one 8" will have no problems keeping up with the mains unless you have a very large room.

Use a double 8" cabinet for large areas for best results.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone this is my first post so please have mercy. I am getting a pair of Heresy III. My room is 10x20 and I'll be 8ft away from these speakers. I wanted to run a Bluetooth integrated amplifier so I could run Pandora or something similar and CD's. Can anyone suggest the best thing to power these speakers for $1000 or less? I have no idea if there's anything good in this price range? I don't even know what I don't know. Most of the integrated amps appear to be 50 watts a channel. Is that enough? Or am I asking the wrong question? I want to listen to music like Dire Straits, Antonio Carlos Jobim and classical like Korngold violin concerto.  Thank you for any suggestions. 

Edited by Idontknow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Idontknow said:

Hello everyone this is my first post so please have mercy. I am getting a pair of Heresy III. My room is 10x20 and I'll be 8ft away from these speakers. I wanted to run a Bluetooth integrated amplifier so I could run Pandora or something similar and CD's. Can anyone suggest the best thing to power these speakers for $1000 or less? I have no idea if there's anything good in this price range? I don't even know what I don't know. Most of the integrated amps appear to be 50 watts a channel. Is that enough? Or am I asking the wrong question? I want to listen to music like Dire Straits, Antonio Carlos Jobim and classical like Korngold violin concerto.  Thank you for any suggestions. 

Just brainstorming here.  Invest in a simple high-quality integrated amp and then get an external streaming device like an Airport Express feeding an external DAC to add the convenience of wifi.  Although it looks like most of the sub-$1K integrated amps include a built-in DAC and optional blue-tooth, so you might as well use it to start.  wifi streaming has better quality although the newest blue-tooth apt-x is pretty decent.  If you use iTunes, I would get a Yamaha A-S701, Airport Express, and an optical toslink cable and call it a day.  You can stream Pandora over Airplay.  Add an external DAC down the road.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pbphoto said:

nvest in a simple high-quality integrated amp and then get an external streaming device like an Airport Express feeding an external DAC to add the convenience of wifi.  Although it looks like most of the sub-$1K integrated amps include a built-in DAC and optional blue-tooth, so you might as well use it to start.  wifi streaming has better quality although the newest blue-tooth apt-x is pretty decent.  If you use iTunes, I would get a Yamaha A-S701, Airport Express, and an optical toslink cable and call it a day.  You can stream Pandora over Airplay.  Add an external DAC down the road.

:emotion-21::emotion-21:

@Idontknow

Or this

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-c-356dac2-c356dac2-integrated-amp-with-usb-2-0-dac-free-shipping-manufacturer-s-2017-04-19-integrateds-01060-florence-ma

NAD C 356DAC2 /

with these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Google-Chromecast-Audio-UK-Model-with-US-Adapter/745237024?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2936&adid=22222222227067144769&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=170938383489&wl4=pla-280880350052&wl5=9012403&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113734316&wl11=online&wl12=745237024&wl13=&veh=sem

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Pro-Digital-TOSLINK-Fiber-Optic-Cable-with-Mini-TOSLINK-Adapters-6/52170371

Chromecast Audioand GE Pro Digital TOSLINK Fiber Optic Cable with Mini TOSLINK Adapters, 6'

Bill

• Like 2

Once again thank you and one last question. Is there an Iphone plug to USB-B so I can plug the IPAD or Iphone directly into the DAC? I'm using Apple and I don't mind hardwiring or am I asking the wrong question?

IMG_0972.PNG

Edited by Idontknow
Found something

There are some Rube Goldberg methods to get an iPAD connected via USB to a DAC without going through the iPAD's internal DAC, aka digital-out.  That last part is key.  Do a google search on "iPAD digital out."  Here's an example:  http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

This is much easier on a full-blown MacBook Pro (hardwired) or an Airport Express (via Airplay) because they have a combo analog/optical-digital headphone jack.

On 9/12/2014 at 10:33 PM, Lud Mil said:

...and yes the Heresy IIIs will take as much bass as you give them without distortiing... Again, the Heresy's need a bit of help either from the amp or EQ but the bass it produces is very clean, fast and accurate...

Please don't take this the wrong way; the designer did his homework, but don't be fooled. PWK referenced Kellogg who researched the production of bass frequencies with direct radiator speakers. To put it bluntly, a single 12 inch woofer playing a 50Hz tone loud enough that it is audible is already well into audible distortion... Kellogg needed something like 24 of these speakers to get the distortion down below detection even at low sound level. Nothing has changed since then; except that modern studios and modern listeners have agreed to believe they are producing and hearing loud clean bass... few people have ever heard true clean bass and would probably not like it without adding some grind and slam to make it sound familiar.

I have had my Heresys for over 40 years and they are as good a design and implementation as it gets for that size, cleaner and clearer than just about all others, and the low end will hang in there with elevated bass EQ... but that is really just pushing them toward the normal distortion levels of other speakers. 

If the sound stage appears a little restricted or the 3D imaging is compromised - pull the Heresy's a little further out into the room and perhaps move them slightly further apart.  I did that with mine in small increments and all of a sudden the sound just locked into place.  Awesome.

• Like 1

I bought a beautiful looking & sounding '77 vintage pair of Heresys last Sept and replaced my RB-81ii's, which were at seated ear height on bookshelves at the 11' wall's corners in my home office. The Heresys were in front of the bookcases and on their non-tilted risers on the floor when A-Bed using my Onkyo TX-8020, a 50 Wpc 2.1 stereo receiver with the bookshelf speakers - which they 'blew away'! The bookshelf speakers are now upstairs in my bonus/hobby room on 24" HD stands slightly out from the room's corners. They sound the best they've sounded there - which is quite good. They are driven by an Emotiva a-100 mini-X 50Wpc amp fed by an Onkyo C-7030 CDP, which moved with the bookshelf speakers and was replaced with another C-7030 CDP and a then recently released replacement for my other Emotiva 50Wpc amp - A-100 BasX, which also now has a headphone jack for early AM listening that won''t bother my wife. The point here concerns the 50Wpc amps - it's more than enough for my 11' x 12' x 9' office with the Heresys. I, too, listen to ACJ, Getz/Byrd, Brubeck to Karajan/Berlin Philharmoniker and Adele to Bonnie Raitt and Dire Straits to Clapton, with my favorite CD being Paul Simons "Graceland" (The original mix/release. Oh - while I had the TX-8020 hooked up, I tried my JBL SUB 550P subwoofer, set XO <65 Hz, with both speakers and deemed  it unnecessary. The old Heresys really sound great!

I'll also chime in for Emotiva, I bought a Bas-X A-300 for my H2s. Probably overkill at 150w, but it's awfully clean, and I'll never, ever hear distortion ever. But I also used a 65w amp before, and played with a 3w amp for a little while too. The nice thing about Heresies (as with most Klipsch speakers) is that when it comes to amps, you can shop for sound rather than watts.

I have hooked my Heresies of various age up to my Emotiva/Sherbourn amps and receivers and no matter how much or how little power I throw at them they sound great. I know I don't need 600wpc mono block amps to bring them to life but headroom is a beautiful thing. I have used a 90 wpc Technics integrated amp, a UPA-2, a UPA-200, XPA-2, XPA-5 and XPA-1 and honestly the Heresies never wimped out on any of them. Like Chris above me stated you can power them with flea watt amps or throw the kitchen sink at them and they keep on marching along. Such an enjoyable line of speakers.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/20/2020 at 3:26 PM, Marantz9 said:

I am just new to Klipsch.I just bought a pair of Hersey 3's and am wondering about the speaker terminals on the back.Do you hook up to hi frequency or Low frequency?

Kevin

If you have a jumper connecting the two sets of terminals together, then you can connect to either.