How to get the best sound out of Heresy III

Lud Mil

Dear Klipsch fans, I've been enjoyning my new Heresy III speakers for more than 2 years now. I can't say enough how great they can sound if you do the right thing and how bad thay can sound if you don't. The purpose of this topic is to share ideas between Heresy III owners so we can get the best out of them. If a similar topic already exists anywhere, please share the link. Thank you.

welcome to the forum!

I have Heresy II's (or rather, the pro version KP-201's) and they sound best with my subwoofer turned on. :P

I use mine in the home theater so I have them positioned for optimal soundstage and not bass response since I cross them over at 80Hz to my sub. I put them on top of these little Ikea side tables so that they are at ear height vs. angled upwards from the floor.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40104270/#/20011408

Edited by Thaddeus Smith
  • Like 1

To get the best sound out of them, put the best signal you can into them.

Thanks guys. Totally agree with CECA. With my Heresy III, I get a better sound when:

1. They are off the floor rather than on the floor. 18" stands work best. A good sound insulation material between them and the stands also helps.

2. Placed in the corners, but 8"-10" away from the side walls and about the same distance or less from the back wall.

3. I had an HT 7.1 Pioneer receiver and the sound was clear but very flat (I mean not dynamic). I tried the Sansui AU-217 which was a big improvement. Then I bought a Sansui AU-919. Now I got something quite special. Listening to any Fourplay album is a delight.

4. I only listen to redbook CD's on Rega Planet CD player. I also find that as a big improvement over standard DVD players, PC or music from cable box. Mainly in the dinamics and clarity of the sound.

5. Music that is recorded well sounds fantastic, music that is not sounds terrible.

6. Bi-wired the speakers using 10-gauge which was also better than single wire and 12 gauge for expample.

I have not explored yet other options like high end speaker wires, RCA cables, turntables, DAC's etc., but if anyone has, please share. I have tried different amps borrowed from friends, and the AU-919 beat them all so far.

I have not explored yet other options like high end speaker wires (Not worth it, spend  your money on something else), RCA cables (same thing), turntables, DAC's etc., but if anyone has, please share. I have tried different amps borrowed from friends, and the AU-919 beat them all so far (doesn't surprise me).
Edited by jimjimbo

A lot of people believe that amplifiers that spec out the same sound the same. I just think they're mostly deaf.

I can understand telling someone that you can't hear the difference between certain things, but what I can't understand is telling someone that they won't hear the difference because you don't.

People have to try things for themselves to know whether they will or won't.

I once tried some $800.00 a pair silver plated cables. I picked them up for a song off of AudiogoN. Believe me when I say there is an audible difference because the tweeters about shredded my ears. I would love to know what caused that.

• Like 3

Very interesting. :rolleyes:

Also, I'd like to share another observation with the Heresy III. When they are off the floor, the mids and highs are fantasting, but the lows are a little lean. When I add 2-3db at 150Hz on the amp, the lows totally come back and the strange thing is that I can hear clearly down to around 20-30 Hz, which doesn't happen without this adjustment. Also the bass gets very clear and warm (I think that's partially because of the Rega CD player too). On the contrary, when they are on the floor, there's too much bass, but not as warm and clear. May be there is a height and tilt where the sound will be balanced but I haven't been able to play that much to find it.

Edited by Lud Mil

...The purpose of this topic is to share ideas between Heresy III owners so we can get the best out of them...

Tube mono blocks, the right pre-amp, a sub, the right cables.

Can you please share your experience. What is the difference with tube monoblocks and which ones you tried?

On stands with the tweeters at ear height, augmented with a decent sub or pair of subs, good quality amp and a clean signal chain = sonic bliss! I have the Heresy I, bought new in 1983, with only a cap refresh. They sound amazing; I can only imagine what the IIIs sound like!

Edit: corner placement not necessary; I like them more straight on and in my face. I had them set up in the bedroom on either side of a 6-foot wide media chest, directly in front of the bed, and they sounded amazing! Best I ever heard them sound I think.

Rick

Edited by tubes-n-horns
  • Like 1

Can you please share your experience. What is the difference with tube monoblocks and which ones you tried?

Mostly Quicksilver Mini-monos, a very fine amp, probably better sounding than what the Heresys can deliver (I have run some very fine loudspeakers with these amps). I have also used AES Six-Pacs. Mono blocks IMHO deliver separation better than stereo amps, the Minis are affordable and a great amp with plenty of power unless you want to shake the house off the foundation.

I agree about Quicksilver Mini-monos, but don't agree "that they are better sounding than what the Heresys can deliver." I think the Heresy III would sound really good with those amp(s).

They do. The Heresys ability to resolve low level detail, extended top end, bottom frequencies, and 3D space is limited, the Quicksilvers are not.

The Heresys ability to resolve low level detail and 3D space is limited

That I disagree totally, especially 3D space.

Bill

Ever hear a Magnepan 3.6, 20, Sanders model 10, Triangle Celius, or Infinity RS1Bs?

Edited by russ69