I built a pellet smoker!

JL Sargent

I love my pellet smoker. I buy Hickory and Apple pellets. I used to buy Mesquite until I found out the wood is poison, and you need to wear gloves to handle it. Who knows what the smoke does, but I stopped using it cold turkey. I actually liked it a lot until then.

One tip from my grandpa for getting some smoke while doing ordinary grilling. Take some bark from a shagbark hickory, soak it in hot water for a while, and lay it on the sides of the grill to get some smoke for ordinary grills. It works great. 

shagbark-hickory-tree-lg.jpg

I love my pellet smoker. I buy Hickory and Apple pellets. I used to buy Mesquite until I found out the wood is poison, and you need to wear gloves to handle it. Who knows what the smoke does, but I stopped using it cold turkey. I actually liked it a lot until then.

One tip from my grandpa for getting some smoke while doing ordinary grilling. Take some bark from a shagbark hickory, soak it in hot water for a while, and lay it on the sides of the grill to get some smoke for ordinary grills. It works great. 

shagbark-hickory-tree-lg.jpg

Cool looking tree, it would provide years of hickory smoked flavor.

Excellent work! Someone asked where to obtain pellets ... there's a bbq shop here in Denver metro called Ruff's. He stocks and probably ships many varieties of wood, including the pellets. With hickory, for example, he carries pellets, chips, small chunks, large chunks and logs. Same for other woods. He keeps a variety of smokers in stock along with accessories, etc., teaches bbq classes, etc. I haven't gone to a pellet smoker yet but you are seriously tempting me!!

OK, so we had a couple of pizzas tonight from the pellet smoker. One was just pepperoni and the other ham and banana pepper. They turned out really nice with a beautiful brown crust. But my family didn't really care for the smoked pizza flavor. Oh well, can't pull aces every time.

post-32707-0-72560000-1409961383_thumb.j

• Like 2