I built a pellet smoker!

JL Sargent

• Moderators
jimjimbo, on 04 Sept 2014 - 3:52 PM, said:

Sancho Panza, on 04 Sept 2014 - 2:26 PM, said:

Where do you acquire the pellets?

Acorn or hickory nut eating rabbits.  Doesn't everybody?

No I steer clear of nut eating rabbits ! :o

• Moderators
minermark, on 04 Sept 2014 - 2:21 PM, said:

I do believe i will look up my Bud who has a few SS drums out back of his shop, looks to be a easy project.

I made and used a UDS, they work great and hold temps very well for a long time with just charcoal and a little wood mixed in.

Strap one of those pellet hoppers on and it would be perfect for long cooks with no problems.

• Like 1

minermark, on 04 Sept 2014 - 2:21 PM, said:

I do believe i will look up my Bud who has a few SS drums out back of his shop, looks to be a easy project.

I made and used a UDS, they work great and hold temps very well for a long time with just charcoal and a little wood mixed in.

Strap one of those pellet hoppers on and it would be perfect for long cooks with no problems.

Wife has been asking me about a BBQ for quite sometime, smoker is the way i will go, likely a winter time project.

• Moderators
JL Sargent, on 04 Sept 2014 - 3:20 PM, said: Boxx, I've seen that lavish built in grill you have at your house! No way I could remember the tread but pretty sure you've shown it off on here.

He did, and that thing was so shiny I had to put on glasses to look at it.  :blink:

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

It's handy to have a grill for quick stuff but a smoker adds a whole different flavor, but if I had to give up one it would be the grill.

Mark, If your going to make it yourself maby try something a little different. The ONLY complaint I had with the UDS was if you use the second rack it is a pain to get to, you have to take out the top one and set it on the side. 

It would depend on how much you would cook at one time, if it's just you and the wife just the top rack may do it ?

Edited by dtel

Dam JL, you got my mind workin, now im thinking home depots biggest baddest SS grill they have, and then retrofit with this brand of smoker.

I do have the money, tools, time, scotch and my own coffee cup at the local emergency room.

Go for it! I'll be around for any tech. advice I might offer.

That's awesome Jeff.  Great job, I'm envious.

Thanks Carl. You guys need to stop over on your way to the Carolinas and eat off this fine unit.

• Like 1

Took em up at the 4 1/2 hour mark as they were done just right. Not fall off the bone well done, but done to the point that you can easily pull the meat off.

After several minutes passed at the supper table my wife Michelle said  "These are really delicious". Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about! 

Man I can smell them through my computer :D

They really were extra good. Really happy with the pellet smoker too.

Thanks Carl. You guys need to stop over on your way to the Carolinas and eat off this fine unit.

I'll bring a bottle of raisin wine.

Probably be good with it!

Duder, when I first cooked on a pellet smoker I realized it equaled the best smoked meat I had ever done. I cooked a whole hog on a pit I had made with concrete blocks. Smoke was provided from the hot coals of a green hickory wood fire. This cookout was for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I've posted this photo before but it's worth sharing again. The smoke flavor from the pellets equals the flavor from the green hickory coals and is a whole lot less work.

post-32707-0-42000000-1409878192_thumb.j

• Like 1