kp301 II problems

nd-irish147

Just picked up some kp301s a few days ago and i have a problem.  The speakers sound like they have no mid or high range.  Both of the horns are working the output is just really low.  I am somewhat new to crossovers and electronic circuits so i am wondering what is the best place to start?  thanks for any help...

• Like 1

I actually did do most of that last night, although i didnt mess with the board.  I do know that there are polyswitches in them but i dont know how to tell if they are bad or not.  They have been driven pretty hard i know one of the tweeters is shot so i am going to order a diaphragm for it.

• Like 1

Alright I figured out the problem. Both tweeters are shot. I pulled the diaphragms out of my kg4s and they came to life. Amazing sound I was shocked at how much better these sounded compared to the kg4. One thing I did notice was that the tweeters are k76 and I don't think those are original are they?

Looking at the picture they should have the k-792 as I suspected.

KP 301 II specs:

http://www.klipsch.com/kp-301-ii-a/details

Frequency Response: 50Hz - 20kHz(+-)4dB (-10dB @ 39Hz) @ 3 meters, 1/2 space anechoic SENSITIVITY: 101dB @ 2.83V, 1 meter, 1/2 space anechoic POWER HANDLING: 400 watts (44.7V) MAX CONTINUOUS OUTPUT: 125dB NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms, 5 ohms minimum @ 230Hz CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 800Hz and 6kHz INPUT CONNECTIONS: Dual red/black five-way binding posts and dual locking Neutrik® D-shell 0.25" phone plugs COVERAGE ANGLE: 60(o) Horizontal x 40(o) Vertical DIRECTIVITY INDEX: 9dB (+-)2dB DIMENSIONS: 32.625" (82.9cm) x 20.825" (53cm) x 16.825" (42.9cm) WEIGHT: 82 lbs. (37.2kg) Built From: 2001 BUILT UNTIL: 2004

If you're looking for a replacement set keep an eye out for the K-75, K-79 or the K-792, any one of those will work as they all use the same magnet structure. You'd probably want to replace the stock diaphragms with titanium ones as they're relatively cheap and a very nice improvement. Oh and congrats on the new speakers, I'm sure once you get them right you'll really enjoy the heck out of them!!

• Like 1

bookshelf or auto parts rack speakers? :) I am pretty amazed out how well they sound with the wrong tweeters, even just using my sx980.  My old man has khorns but i dont have the room for something that big and while these arent up to that level i couldnt be happier with the way that sound!

A 20wpc Rotel rx402 drives them easily for my purposes.

Put about 100 to 200 watts on them and they'll pound your chest with bass.

Yes they will! I'll have the power meter lights jumping up to 375 watts on my Carver TFM-42 that power my KP362's. Talk about chest pounding.

Same goes for my Chorus I's and II's when that Bob Carver power is fed to them :-)

A 20wpc Rotel rx402 drives them easily for my purposes.

Put about 100 to 200 watts on them and they'll pound your chest with bass.

It is only a 2 car garage not an ampitheater LOL.

I did put 200 watts to one speaker once and it shook my whole house.