Youthman's HT Now Has Twins!

Youthman

I don't remember reading in the epic on your theater, but... did you refinish the LS so the matched? They look really good in the pics.

Look great with the RSW15s, too. I can imagine the sound is rather full, now. You have really come over to the dark side by going with the LS.

Bruce

• Like 1

• Moderators

Bruce, I purchased a pair of LS locally, fell in love with them and mentioned that it would probably be forever till I found a single LS. Within about 2 weeks, wstrickland said he had three LS and had a buyer for a pair so he had a single he was willing to sell to me. He had plans to come to FL in a month so he delivered it to my house and it just happened to have the identical finish! Having a LS Trio up front is absolutely amazing

• Like 2

congratulations Youthman! I know this has been 1 long time coming(not that long but long enough)...that's an absolutely wonderful birthday present right before you reach the hill and get over it...tho they do say the new hill is at like 50yrs old. Cheers!

Id love to hear it! I bet its crazy good!

• Like 1

• Moderators
I don't think you could go wrong with two RSW15s. can't wait to hear them.

Two RSW-15's are sounding pretty sweet to me.  I have no complaints.

Here is how I see it in the long term. This is where I would start and run a few REW sweeps to make sure any dead spots are not in key seats and adjust from there.

Acoustically, would it be best to enclose the sub or leave the sides open?

Congrats looks great you can NEVER have to many subs

I'm running out of room for more subs.  :lol:

It's almost a shame to hide those subs, but I can see why, it would get them out of the way, but they are pretty.

I have no problem hiding them behind the false wall.  One of the goals of a dedicated HT is for the speakers to disappear.  The last thing you want is to see your speakers while you are watching a movie.  With the new build, I will have easy access to reveal the subs or mains anytime I want.

• Like 1

• Moderators
ey Youthman, I had two RSW-15's (before my basement flooded and trashed them) and after they were tuned in properly, sounded absolutely fantastic!

I know you must be sick to your stomach.  Stuff is stuff and it can always be replaced but it's still painful to see it taken away from you.  I'm confident in due time, you will have a system that equals or rivals your previous setup.

Loving that look! Congrats on the new addition Youth! Love the symmetry, even if it does get covered up by your new false wall.

Everyone please ignore all of my early forum comments regarding how dated and ugly the heritage speakers are.  LOL.  Truth is the looks of the LaScalas grew very quickly on me after hearing them in my own home.  They do have an older style to them and I still prefer the looks of the Reference Series but at the end of the day, my desire is to have the best sound over the best looking speaker.  I'm 100% confident I made the right decision by moving from the RF-83 to the LaScala.  And by adding the third LaScala, simply put it over the top for me.  Now I know firsthand why many here have recommended three identical speakers up front whenever possible.  Seamless, HUGE soundstage that just fills my 13' x 19' x 10' with detail and clarity unlike any speaker I have owned before.

• Like 2

For the record, the dark side isn't as dark as I thought it was going to be. It's actually quite nice over here lol

I know, really I do, since I've had LaScalas. Once people actually hear them, in working order, it's hard to say no. Miss the pair I sold, but stuff is stuff and I still have the beater pair I am redoing. In the meantime, our Heresy IIs are serving us well.

• Like 2

• Moderators
Now I know firsthand why many here have recommended three identical speakers up front whenever possible. Seamless, HUGE soundstage

Your right, I did the same thing you did after getting advice from people here, 3 identical across the front, everyone was right it makes a big difference. I doubt any center speaker can match as perfectly as an exact copy of the mains.

It's going to be pretty amazing once those are all placed where they are going and set.

• Like 3

• Moderators
I doubt any center speaker can match as perfectly as an exact copy of the mains.

Yeah, I guess there is always some form of compromise with a "center" channel speaker because it does not use identical drivers & an identical size cabinet.  Not that center channels are bad, but having an identical speaker is just that much nicer.

It's going to be pretty amazing once those are all placed where they are going and set.

I know, I'm pretty excited.  Wakejunkie's disk fusion surgery in his neck went well.  They ended up finding two bone spurs that were causing the pain and numbing in his arm.  He's 1 week into recover so he should be able to get started on it sometime next week.  :lol::P   It will likely be several months before he is able to begin any type of construction work on the new false wall and that's perfectly ok with me.  His health is far more important than any project he could work on for me. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Ha!  Not quite....but he probably could have designed something.

I talked to him today.  His Dr said it was ok to walk downstairs to his HT in the basement.  So while he's down there, he decides to have some fun.  While his wife and kids were upstairs, he turns the sound up on his AVR and plays a loud table saw sound (I'm guessing on Youtube).  The kids said to mom, "Should we go stop him!"  Mom replies...."He's a grown man....a hard headed grown man".  LOL

• Like 3