Advice for placement for dual RSW-15's

Youthman

• Moderators

Today I picked up a second Maple RSW-15 and need some advice on placement.

In a few months, I will redesign my front wall and have the LaScala Trio behind a 150" AT Screen.  The subs will either go directly beneath the LaScalas in the corners or I can place them in between the LaScalas (behind the new false wall).

The right RSW-15 is usually located behind the door that is directly behind it.  When I went to put the left RSW-15 behind the door that is directly behind it, the subwoofer would not fit.  Long story short, I would need to build a platform like I did on the right side for it to fit.

Since the LaScalas will temporarily remain in front of the current false wall, I have 3 options for placement of the subs:

Option 1:  Add a shelf for the 2nd Subwoofer so that it fits inside the cabinet.

Option 2:  Put both subs in the corners behind the Left and Right Door on the False Wall.  Only problem with this is that the Left and Right LaScala will be about 8 inches in front of it.  Not sure how that will effect the sound.

Option 3:  Leave them where they currently are in the photos below out in the middle of the room.

Again, this is only temporary placement....just seeking some advice on what might sound best.

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-1.JPG

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-2.JPG

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-3.JPG

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-4.JPG

Guest Steven1963
Again, this is only temporary placement....just seeking some advice on what might sound best.

Option 4: My house.  I think they'd sound the best here.  :)

No really.  I envy you.  I don't have the room to do anything remotely similar.  Someday perhaps.

• Moderators

Well, I just did some demos in the HT with the subs in the corner.  Lots more output in the corners that's for sure.  Those LaScalas hit ear bleeding levels pretty quickly.  LOL.  I would never watch a movie at those levels but it sure was fun for a few moments.

Option 4: My house. I think they'd sound the best here. :)

That was hillarious Steven.  :lol:

If post everything just like you have it in the pics. Obviously up on the stage and what not but them should have gobs of output mid wall between la scalas.

I'll have to find some wood to make a shelf.  Wouldn't be hard to swap them to see how it sounds compared to the corners.

• Like 1

I like the corners if that is workable.  Between the LaScala cuts the output in 1/2 compared to corner loading.  I have two of my subs near the mains and it results in autocalibration upping the trim on the mains a notch.  Running the subs near the main works better with speakers set to small since the two bass source are so close to avoid cancellation and phase issues.  What ever you decide, I would love to be there on movie night. :D   Are you going to gain or level match the subs?

• Moderators
I like the corners if that is workable.

Yes, there is no problem having them in the corners in the temporary or in the redesign of the front wall shown below.

The bottom middle section will be on a rail system that allows for me to slide it forward for easy access to the rear of the main components.

Final-Front-Wall-1.jpg

Final-Front-Wall-2.jpg

There will be plenty of space under the left and right LaScalas for a subwoofer.

Final-Front-Wall-5.jpg

• Moderators
Between the LaScala cuts the output in 1/2 compared to corner loading.

Wow! I had no idea it reduced it that much.  I figured it would some but man that's a major loss in output.

What ever you decide, I would love to be there on movie night. :D

Cmon over!  I'll save a seat for you.

Are you going to gain or level match the subs?

Honestly, I don't know the difference.  My thought was to set the gain on the sub to just above 1/2.  Run the HK Auto Calibration, then use my SPL Meter to make sure all speakers are level matched.

The best place for sub placement is never where you want it to be, i recommend doing a sub crawl to find the right place(s).

Turn on one sub and find where in the room it works and sounds the best, place your sub there if at all possible.

Repeat if using multiples.

• Moderators

Thx for the reminder about the sub crawl.  I thought you were supposed to place the sub in your main LP and then crawl around the room to find where the best bass response is and that's where you place the sub at.  How do you know where to place the second sub? 

Also, how am I going to fit an RSW-15 in my LP?  :P

Gain matching is setting the gain at the same level on identical subs.  This works well with symmetrical sub.  Non-identical or identical subs in asymmetical location can have their spl level adjusted at the MLP set the same.  I level match two sub to have each play 73 db at the MLP and then run autocalibration.  Gain matching prevents driving one sub harder than the other but, level match is never a real problem with subs of similar size and output.

This is an excellent read on level matching sub.  The whole paper is good but skip to the bottom for quick setup.  http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817

Jason, I am near Chi town an feel what you are going thru.  Just to many storms and to much rain this summer.

Edited by derrickdj1

• Moderators

As you can see from this photo, there is about 2' between the wall and the theater chairs.  I could possibly place one sub in front of the steps on the right side in the photo below but the left side is the main entryway into the room so the sub would block the walkway and isn't an option.  There definitely is no room for a sub in the back of the room.

e658034f_surround-back-layout2.jpeg

• Like 1

As you can see from this photo, there is about 2' between the wall and the theater chairs.  I could possibly place one sub in front of the steps on the right side in the photo below but the left side is the main entryway into the room so the sub would block the walkway and isn't an option.  There definitely is no room for a sub in the back of the room.

e658034f_surround-back-layout2.jpeg

What about as a coffee table in front of the front row... Or is there no room? It looks like you might have enough room for one sub as a coffee table in the second row. Maybe the other up front? Edited by ellisr63