Advice for placement for dual RSW-15's

Youthman

some people suggest one sub in the rear and the other in the front of the room in the opposite corner if that will make things easier.

I agree, especially for HT, but Michael has only about a foot(if that) of space behind his rear seats.

Bill

• Like 1

some people suggest one sub in the rear and the other in the front of the room in the opposite corner if that will make things easier.

I agree, especially for HT, but Michael has only about a foot(if that) of space behind his rear seats.

Bill

What about next to the seats in the 2nd row... It looks like the rear row is offset, and might be a good spot for the second sub.

With a single sub, placement is much more important, hence the greater need for doing the sub crawl.  Moving a sub from the middle of the room against a wall is adding another reflective surface, and the same as adding a second sub in a mid-room position. Placing a sub in the corner is adding yet another reflective surface, and therefore like adding a third sub at the mid-room position.

Reflective surfaces each add the gain an extra sub would if stacked in the same position. Hanging a sub in the exact center of a room is 0 gain, on the floor is +3db, against a wall is +6db, and in a corner is +9db.

Some people add a second sub to a room and adjust the phase to even out the room modes. If you calibrate your room with one sub in one corner, you can sub crawl with a second sub to even out room modes. Placing two subs in two front corners, and adjusting the phase of one of them could possibly achieve a decent evening as well. It all depends on the exact dimensions of the room. Height, Width, and Length.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Ooh... Now I see it was an allusion as to how much space you have. IMO the perfect subs would have been the Danley HTSPUDs under the seating. I am sure though that what you have will make you happy. Subs under the seats are awesome though.

Danley spud would only play nice to 60 Hz or so requiring substantial EQ to the mains raising distortion levels, not a great upgrade choice in my opinion.

If you're happy with your subs just find a place where they work nice and be done with it.

HUH..

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th-spud/

It says they go to 19hz. 60hz would be no better than a La Scala.

Edited by ellisr63

• Moderators
Ooh... Now I see it was an allusion as to how much space you have.

13' x 19' with 10' ceilings....maybe it's the 17mm wide angle lens?

IMO the perfect subs would have been the Danley HTSPUDs under the seating.

My rear riser is 10' x 5.5'.  The Danley TH Spud is only 4' wide at the longest side.  Would need two of them just to fit my rear seats.  And if my memory serves me correctly, it is over $2000 per HT Spud.  At $4000, I plus two amps, I can easily see where the law of diminishing returns kicks in. 

I would be interested to hear a TH Spud at some point since it's just hard for me to see how 8" woofers would outperform 15" drivers.

• Like 1

Danley spud would only play nice to 60 Hz or so requiring substantial EQ to the mains raising distortion levels, not a great upgrade choice in my opinion.

If you're happy with your subs just find a place where they work nice and be done with it.

HUH..

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th-spud/

It says they go to 19hz. 60hz would be no better than a La Scala.

La Scala rolls off near 100 Hz.

Tapped horns get distorted near 60 Hz.

Leaving a pitfall between 60 - 100 Hz to fill, best way to fill in this situation would to EQ the mains

• Like 1

Ooh... Now I see it was an allusion as to how much space you have.

13' x 19' with 10' ceilings....maybe it's the 17mm wide angle lens?

IMO the perfect subs would have been the Danley HTSPUDs under the seating.

My rear riser is 10' x 5.5'.  The Danley TH Spud is only 4' wide at the longest side.  Would need two of them just to fit my rear seats.  And if my memory serves me correctly, it is over $2000 per HT Spud.  At $4000, I plus two amps, I can easily see where the law of diminishing returns kicks in. 

I would be interested to hear a TH Spud at some point since it's just hard for me to see how 8" woofers would outperform 15" drivers.

The way to do the THSPUDS IMO would be in kit form or to find a pair used. I got to tell you my 2nd row seating (with 1 DTS-10 under the seating) are the money seats! You feel the bass so much more than just hearing it. My rear seating platform is 6' deep by 15' wide and I use 1 DTS-10 sub centered under it and every seat feels it. Edited by ellisr63

In my experience the smoothest response is to have them in opposite sides of the room...example, one in the front of the room and one in the back.  The most bass is produced when you place both in a corner.  I currently have my two 15" Velodynes in the same position as yours because it is one of the more exciting and lively spots.  What can I say...I like bass.  Nowadays you can use an eq to smooth out the response if you want. I would put them in the front, but probably not the corners.  If you do place them in the corners, buy an eq or they will sound boomy.

• Like 1

Idea...

Sub 1: Right front corner floor

Sub 2: Left rear corner ceiling

Exact opposite corners, so you get all the gain and all the room mode benefit of having two subs!

Question is, who will sit under the sub?   :)   My projector in the shop weighs a ton, and it hangs about 12ft above the sweet spot. It's a little creepy sitting in the sweet spot...

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

• Moderators
I would put them in the front, but probably not the corners.

So far, they seem to be working out well in the corners for HT, a little over the top for 2ch (but then again, this room is primarily used for HT).

Question is, who will sit under the sub? :)

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to make a platform on the ceiling that will support an RSW-15.

It's a little creepy sitting in the sweet spot...

I think you had it correct the first time....the "sweat spot".  :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators
What about a hole in the rear wall corner area? What's directly behind that wall?

My Son's closet.  I'm already cutting into the closet for the Projector since it is above his top shelf, it will not reduce any of his available closet space.  Would rather not do that with the RSW-15, especially since I may not always have the RSW-15.  Want to keep my options open.

• Like 1

I had one RSW 15 in my AV room and it cracked a dome window.  Hope there's no glass anywhere near your rig.

Yes, at 16 feet away, my one RSW 15 regularly moves a 5 cushion couch.   Everything else in the room is either glued down, museum puttied down or bloted down.  It, plus the Khorns (80 Hz X-over) will rattle shelves and windows several rooms away.

What about a hole in the rear wall corner area? What's directly behind that wall?

My Son's closet.  I'm already cutting into the closet for the Projector since it is above his top shelf, it will not reduce any of his available closet space.  Would rather not do that with the RSW-15, especially since I may not always have the RSW-15.  Want to keep my options open.

You could make an IB setup with your sons room as the rear cavity... :)

• Like 1

I have read the thread off and on and can only say try primary positioning spot/s for a good couple weeks each to compare and get the best out of them. Try demos with each position from orchestra bafoons to primo blue rays as im sure your already doing... Bet it sounds great!

• Moderators
Check out Database.com, the Danley's kill all the other subs except for the Gjallarhorn sub.

That may be true....but they also kill the other subs in price too.  :lol:   Sorry, but I can't see spending over $2000 for a sub.  That's not one of my typical Youthman deals

You could make an IB setup with your sons room as the rear cavity... :)
;)

Oh wow.  :lol:   I'm looking forward to hearing wakejunkie's dual 18" IB subs.  If they absolutely blow my dual RSW-15's away, I might end up selling them and having him help me build an IB setup in my room.  We would use the attic instead of my son's bedroom.

I have read the thread off and on and can only say try primary positioning spot/s for a good couple weeks each to compare and get the best out of them.

I agree with your logic.  I have not moved them from the corners yet.  I want my ears to get used to how they sound before trying another configuration.