Advice for placement for dual RSW-15's

Youthman

Check out Database.com, the Danley's kill all the other subs except for the Gjallarhorn sub.

That may be true....but they also kill the other subs in price too.  :lol:   Sorry, but I can't see spending over $2000 for a sub.  That's not one of my typical Youthman deals

You could make an IB setup with your sons room as the rear cavity... :)
;)

Oh wow.  :lol:   I'm looking forward to hearing wakejunkie's dual 18" IB subs.  If they absolutely blow my dual RSW-15's away, I might end up selling them and having him help me build an IB setup in my room.  We would use the attic instead of my son's bedroom.

I have read the thread off and on and can only say try primary positioning spot/s for a good couple weeks each to compare and get the best out of them.

I agree with your logic.  I have not moved them from the corners yet.  I want my ears to get used to how they sound before trying another configuration.

Why not use the attic for your RSW-15s... Just cut a hole and install a grill. A guy in one of the other forums build some GHorns and they are mounted in an attic I believe (they are close to the ceiling).

Why not use the attic for your RSW-15s... Just cut a hole and install a grill.

And how exactly is that supposed to sound good with one of the drivers firing into the attic?  :P

Ooh... didn't know they had dual drivers.

Edited by ellisr63

• Moderators

Yes, it has one passive in front and one active in the rear.

Maybe you could make a box for each woofer (sorta like a folded horn), and have 2 holes in the ceiling for each sub?

I guess I'm still struggling with how this would be beneficial over where I have them now.

• Like 1

Yes, it has one passive in front and one active in the rear.

Maybe you could make a box for each woofer (sorta like a folded horn), and have 2 holes in the ceiling for each sub?

I guess I'm still struggling with how this would be beneficial over where I have them now.

Outta sight... Plus you could use more of them if you can get some more good deals. Maybe one centered on each wall (in the ceiling).

• Moderators
Outta sight...

That's the whole point of the new false wall.  They will be out of sight.

Plus you could use more of them if you can get some more good deals.

I could always put more of them above the screen behind the false wall if I felt I needed to.  Really have no desire to cut holes in my ceiling and mount my subs up there.   But thanks for the suggestion.

Outta sight...

That's the whole point of the new false wall.  They will be out of sight.

Plus you could use more of them if you can get some more good deals.

I could always put more of them above the screen behind the false wall if I felt I needed to.  Really have no desire to cut holes in my ceiling and mount my subs up there.   But thanks for the suggestion.

Some people say that it is an advantage to have subs in front of you and behind you... Even to your sides. I believe it has to do with being nearfield and also evening out the coverage of the subs in the room.

I am thinking you will be fine. The only thing that happens when you have all your subs on one wall, it the convergence of sound waves from the back wall hit in the same places. If you had one sub, that would happen no matter what. Adding a second sub and positioning it in an opposite wall or better opposite corner, adds a second whole set of nodes of convergence. Having even more subs further adds to it. The more points of standing waves there are, the smaller those waves become, and the better able you are to reduce dead spots, and boomy spots due to these room modes.

The best thing you can do, IMO, is to simply place the subs in the front corners, and adjust the phase so the sound is best in the first and second row. Easiest thing to do is sit in each position while playing pink noise through both subs, and look at your RTA or FFT. Note the worst seat, and have a buddy adjust the phase so it looks best. With the phase at that position, go sit in each seat again to see if you caused an even worse problem. If so, you will need to have the buddy adjust the phase back some until the problem diminishes some. Go around the room again, and start it over. Eventually, you will be left with the best you can do with the subs in those positions.

Note: The corners are definitely the best, because they will give you gain, and you will have more reflections for more nodes.

• Like 1