Custom KG 5.5 center

Loudogp250

I made a center from a KLF-10. I purchased a single that had a loose motor board and remade it with the tweeter center and high and the woofers to the sides. Nothing short of amazing but very large. Someone on here has done the same with a KLF-30. I currently do not have a pic to post but will work on that in the next day or two.

Do not turn it on it side as is and expect good results.

I turned a Quartet on its side once, even moved the base to the center of the down side and placed my flat screen on top of it. It worked great as a center between a pair of Chorus ii's. I think a modified KLF 30 would be perfect though..

If you're going to switch to 8" woofers you might as well get an RC-7, it uses 8's and has a much better horn / driver assembly. Really a center mostly does voices (for movies anyway) so you really shouldn't need deeper or louder bass other than what's already being directed to the subwoofer.

• Like 1

I tried a 10 on its side and it did not function well. I believe with the length of the cabinet along with the two way set up, tweeter all the way at one end did not produce desirable results. The dialog was not tied to the TV at all. I could see how a Quartet with it's physical set up would produce better results.

I would not stray from the original design much. Klipsch factored in all of the componenets as well as cabinet volume for the original optimized design. Changing the lay out of the motorboard for a horizontal placement should work fine though.

The horizintal postion of the horn  as well as lifting towards the top of the cabinet certainly helps with the off axis listening.

• Like 1