? for the school teachers in the crowd

joessportster

I don't intend to speak for any teachers, but with what I do, I travel to about 11 different counties and deal with ALL the schools in that area as well as some higher ed schools.

When I visit with just about any K-12 teacher that's been there for a while, they almost 100% without fail lament to me that they miss the old days when they could teach and do what they do.....that right now, all they're doing is (paraphrased) "Teaching for a test".  

I think they get graded themselves in part on how their students pass things so the pressure is on getting the kids ready to pass this test verses learning how to learn.

That's my take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Was reading and saw the post by Boxx and then checked the date. 

Boy howdy are we ever witnessing the uncivil consequences of our failed educational systems these days.

I'll refrain from ranting. My wife has 20 years+ teaching K - 4 in a one room school.  I firmly believe the reliance on technology is largely to blame.

19 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I don't intend to speak for any teachers, but with what I do, I travel to about 11 different counties and deal with ALL the schools in that area as well as some higher ed schools.

When I visit with just about any K-12 teacher that's been there for a while, they almost 100% without fail lament to me that they miss the old days when they could teach and do what they do.....that right now, all they're doing is (paraphrased) "Teaching for a test".  

I think they get graded themselves in part on how their students pass things so the pressure is on getting the kids ready to pass this test verses learning how to learn.

That's my take.

Exactly.  If you don't want teaching for the test, then don't link it to their performance and pay evaluations.  

• Like 1

I've been an educator for 21 years...and let me tell you, I have seen some stuff!!!

My bullet points:

-Standardized tests are a joke!  Another way the government collects data.

-Good administrators are worth their weight in gold... I've only ever worked for 1 out of 7 in my 21 years. However, districts like to hire a lot and this costs $$$  My school has a principal, 2 assistant principals and a dean of students... a little excessive on a school with about 1000 students

-Sports need to either charge what it actually costs to run the programs, or be taken out of schools.  My district spends close to $850,000 a year for kids to play sports... and this is just at the middle school level.  We only charge a $50 athletic fee! 

-Get rid of teachers that don't pull their weight!

-Pay teachers at a competitive rate.  What smart person is going to choose a career whose level of pay keeps decreasing?

-Destroy social media!  Then parents will actually put down their phones and pay attention to what's happening with their children!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I also thought it was so. Everyone is looking for speed, not quality, but in fact, now I have become a teacher, and I have to be happy with the fact that it is not quite as it seems. In fact the educational system is much more complex than it seems, but now children have become much smarter / develop much faster.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 10:33 PM, JJkizak said:

The best schools in the world are US Navy Electronics and Electrical. You could come into class hung over and still know how to fix a fire control radar system.

JJK

😆very funny. I also went through college with hung over, it was very nice. Now I'm doing my second college, which I need to work (because only now do I understand what I want out of life) and it's quite hard for me because I work in parallel, that's why I decided to use this service https://paperell.net/buy-college-papers to succeed everything until I'm course 2 and everything seems to be going well, but it's much harder for me than the first time, especially since I already have a child; I recommend you to think well before applying to college, and I'm off to buy college papers.

Edited by Williamchancey