Badly beat up LaScala restoration completed

mustang guy

• 3 months later...

Could you talk some more about how you treated the corners and edges that look like they have started to delaminate?  I'm wondering about injecting some epoxy with a syringe in those areas and then fill the rest of the way with some Bondo wood filler like I did on my Heresy's.  

Muel, I did nothing more than sand down the dry wood as far as the de-lamination was, and made sure the body filler was good and wet when I smashed it in to any cracks or spaces between lamination layers. Body filler is epoxy, you know. I'm here to tell you that it adheres to this wood very well. Well enough to be able to rasp it without it breaking or pealing off. Sand it down, make sure it's dry, apply the bondo with some force, let it dry to bubble gum consistency, then rasp it. Apply more coats to build up any edges which aren't nice and sharp.

Edited by mustang guy

Muel, I did nothing more than sand down the dry wood as far as the de-lamination was, and made sure the body filler was good and wet when I smashed it in to any cracks or spaces between lamination layers. Body filler is epoxy, you know. I'm here to tell you that it adheres to this wood very well. Well enough to be able to rasp it without it breaking or pealing off. Sand it down, make sure it's dry, apply the bondo with some force, let it dry to bubble gum consistency, then rasp it. Apply more coats to build up any edges which aren't nice and sharp.

I was thinking more liquid epoxy that can get sucked up by the wood more (like that West Systems stuff) but the filler did very well by itself on my Heresy's.  The veneer stuck to it great too... at least it is still nice 3 1/2 years later.  

That is a great tip to rasp before it gets rock hard!  That would save some effort... I'll give it a try next time.  

Thanks!