Cornwall Decorator series with factory bullnose and trim?

electricpisa

Hello Forum,

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but still try to keep up with the forum topics and still a HUGE KLIPSCH fan!

I just picked up a pair of 1977 Cornwalls, first I have ever owned.....They are CD-BR's with consecutive serials 13R112 and 13R113, but unfortunately painted white (UGH!).  The person I bought them from got them form the original owner a week ago that exchanged these for some work that was done on there house.  You can tell they were from a residence that was non-smoking since the insides are immaculate and the caps looks nice and shiney :P

Here's what I think they are, 1977 Cornwalls in a Decorator series in Birch Raw....The strange part is that they have grills on them, trims and risers and the face is painted black from the factory? 

I have done some detecitve work and I believe that this was an option that the owner purchased when new.  I believe this to be factory bullnose trim, cane grills and risers with sliders.  This was definitely not an add on, I'm 100% confident to make this statement.  The workmanship is way too good!

Can someone share there knowledge or experience in if they have had something similar or are familiar with these options?

I have added pictures....Please put on your Sherlock Holmes hats and let me know your thoughts.

Thank you....

post-30324-0-62020000-1410612937_thumb.j

post-30324-0-32020000-1410612949_thumb.j

post-30324-0-50540000-1410612960_thumb.j

post-30324-0-55500000-1410612968_thumb.j

• Like 1

Others more knowledgeable than I will likely weigh in but I have never seen an Cornwall Decorator with factory bullnose trim.  I have seen creative veneers etc. that are beautiful and other creative finishes.  Usually the tags will have an indicator for options.  That does not seem to be the case with yours.  What did you discover that leads you to the conclusion that this is a Klipsch trim out?

I had La Scalas that had full factory grills, and nothing marked on the tags.  So... if it looks factory it might be. Agree on the white paint though, ugh. I used Duratex paint on my QP build and that makes a very nice black finish if you want to change, though not a Klipsch factory look.

• Like 1

Thank you for everyone that replied.....

I have tried to reach out to the owner who supposedly has the original paperwork and that will tell, as Paul Harvey use to say, "The rest of the story".

I looked a little further on the web and found in the KLIPSCH HERITAGE REFERENCE DATA - (V.2 - 9 May 2008): that it does show this as an adder.  I highlighted this part on the attachement for you to see easily.

As far as it not being on the tag, I wonder if the tag listed the "NORMAL" build that was done, but any adders that aren't standard or would confuse the model and cabinet style was put on the customers build sheet that was sent with it.  Not sure, just a thought.

I just know that everything is way to nice, other than the white paint of course, not to have been done at the factory and the attachment seems to confirm that.  The black on the motor board would had to have been done by a professional because it's perfect.  And if we can assume that this was done at the factory, then it would make no sense that would be put on with the Decorator Series unless the bullnose was put on to this as well?

So, the mystery continues....

But, the next step now is to remove the paint, so any ideas on this other than using a standard stripping compound?  It seems like maybe it's a laytex paint or something similar because when I took the back off, the paint that pulled away from the screws showed wood directly underneath it...Which is GOOD!

Any thoughts?

KLIPSCH HERITAGE TYPES & Codes Forum V 2.1 080507(1).pdf

Edited by electricpisa

I suspect these had a none-factory "Nose Job".

EDIT:

Ah ha, maybe that was part of the "Trim Kit", thanks for the PDF, good stuff in there.

Gilbert,

I believe so....

With the PDF for confiirmation, and everything matching exactly as its listed right down to the velcro, and a few others that have found the exact same set up, I think the mystery is solved...It's a factory trim kit.

Now I just need to make sure I correctly remove the paint to bring them up to there original state.  As much as I like the look of the Decorators flat bare motor board and I really do.  I hate to remove any of this kit because it's original....

• Like 1

As much as I like the look of the Decorators flat bare motor board and I really do. I hate to remove any of this kit because it's original....

There was a time when I felt the same.... and you may still change your mind, if you like what you see in the exposed wood grain pattern. I use to think all birch graining was bland, until I found a pair of 77 decorator cornwalls in Waco, Tx.

My 77 Decorator's are my favorite pair out of 3, and they have the prettiest grain structure I've ever seen on a decorator cornwall. Since my high school days, I have always had a soft spot for cornwall's, they're my 2nd favorite of the Heritage. My favorite are the Belle's, and I've never even owned a pair..... still chasing after the elusive pair of Belle's in Brazilian rosewood. Only once did opportunity present itself, but woulda, coulda, shoulda....... I fk'ed up and let them slip away.

Edited by Gilbert

As much as I like the look of the Decorators flat bare motor board and I really do. I hate to remove any of this kit because it's original....

There was a time when I felt the same.... and you may still change your mind, if you like what you see in the exposed wood grain pattern. I use to think all birch graining was bland, until I found a pair of 77 decorator cornwalls in Waco, Tx.

My 77 Decorator's are my favorite pair out of 3, and they have the prettiest grain structure I've ever seen on a decorator cornwall. Since my high school days, I have always had a soft spot for cornwall's, they're my 2nd favorite of the Heritage. My favorite are the Belle's, and I've never even owned a pair..... still chasing after the elusive pair of Belle's in Brazilian rosewood. Only once did opportunity present itself, but woulda, coulda, shoulda....... I fk'ed up and let them slip away.

Yea, had a few of those in my life too, and my guess is that they won't be the last....However, I did also pick up 3- commercial Jubilee bottoms 4 years ago for a steal, so sometimes the pendulum swings both ways :D

Any pics on those 77 CD-BR Decorators? 

Here is a pic of my 1974 CD-BR decorators before I removed the grills.  The bull nose trim, does not look the same or take tung oil the same as the birch, nor is it as white as birch.  I am not familiar enough with wood to be able to identify what it is... but feel pretty confident its something else. 

post-8016-0-67200000-1410812006_thumb.jp

Thank you for everyone that replied.....

I have tried to reach out to the owner who supposedly has the original paperwork and that will tell, as Paul Harvey use to say, "The rest of the story".

I looked a little further on the web and found in the KLIPSCH HERITAGE REFERENCE DATA - (V.2 - 9 May 2008): that it does show this as an adder.  I highlighted this part on the attachement for you to see easily.

As far as it not being on the tag, I wonder if the tag listed the "NORMAL" build that was done, but any adders that aren't standard or would confuse the model and cabinet style was put on the customers build sheet that was sent with it.  Not sure, just a thought.

I just know that everything is way to nice, other than the white paint of course, not to have been done at the factory and the attachment seems to confirm that.  The black on the motor board would had to have been done by a professional because it's perfect.  And if we can assume that this was done at the factory, then it would make no sense that would be put on with the Decorator Series unless the bullnose was put on to this as well?

So, the mystery continues....

But, the next step now is to remove the paint, so any ideas on this other than using a standard stripping compound?  It seems like maybe it's a laytex paint or something similar because when I took the back off, the paint that pulled away from the screws showed wood directly underneath it...Which is GOOD!

Any thoughts?

The listing is missing the H wood option Hard Rock Maple veneer.  Had it on some 1973 Cornwalls.

Edited by Frzninvt

Here is a pic of my 1974 CD-BR decorators before I removed the grills.  The bull nose trim, does not look the same or take tung oil the same as the birch, nor is it as white as birch.  I am not familiar enough with wood to be able to identify what it is... but feel pretty confident its something else. 

Nice Corns there Cantilope!  Your bullnose looks identical to mine.  Thank you for sharing.....

I see you have KLF30's w/TI.  Did you ever A-B the KLF and Corns?  I was looking at getting some KLF30's a while back and was just curious what I was missing :tongue:

Nice Corns there Cantilope!  Your bullnose looks identical to mine.  Thank you for sharing.....

I see you have KLF30's w/TI.  Did you ever A-B the KLF and Corns?  I was looking at getting some KLF30's a while back and was just curious what I was missing :tongue:

i don't think they look the same at all. the white ones look like they have shoe molding and the other ones look like screen molding

Edited by Budman

i don't think they look the same at all. the white ones look like they have shoe molding and the other ones look like screen molding

I could be wrong, but I think its just the angle and color of the trim.  If I look at mine with grills on it, it looks very similar.  Just too hard to tell for sure until I get mine stripped.

There are a few paint chips off of the bullnose and it doesn't look to be birch....it looks like a oak grain, definitely not a birch.

I have them side by side right now and have been a-b ing them for the last few weeks.  They are both great speakers, but I like the Corns better.  I have had my KLFs for 16 years the original owner, now with new xovers, and ti diaphrams (hi/mid).  Something about the mostly stock corns just captures me.  It might be that my couch sits a bit low and the cornwall is the perfect height, whereas the KLF is a bit tall.  The KLF does have a better low end, but I like the midrange of the Corn.  So the KLF does the HT and the Corns are my 2 channel.  If I had to pick just one, I'd take the CW over the KLF.  However my wife, likes the KLF over the CW, who I would think has the better hearing being so young and has been much kinder to her ears than I to mine.  Lucky I get to keep them both...

• Like 2