Chicago area forum members

Lemon string

So Im thinking the weekend of oct 11th or 12th. I'll host since I posted the original thread, if we want to change venues on the following get togethers thats cool.

Lets see if theres a majority preference amongst the group on the day, sat 11th or sun 12th. I was thinking maybe a 3:00 or 4:00 start and we can call it quits when the beer is gone or when everyones feels like its done.

I'll either get grub for the grill or we can order pie.

I have a 12w class A sep amp, a dac set up to stream via wi fi (apple tv) and a Rega P3 w/ a dynavector 10x5 cartridge for vinyl. This stuff plays through a pair of Cornwall II's with updated crossovers from Dean G of Aletheia Audio. In addition I have a set of RF 82's that could be hooked up too, for a little comparison.

If anyone wants to bring a piece of gear to demo, compare etc..... that could be cool.

I'd say at the least show up with a piece of music to share, wether it be a digital file or an LP. Should be cool.

Reach out here or send me a PM. I'll try to figure out a good way to communicate with everyone aside from this post. Maybe PM me with your email address and I'll compile them all and get a group email together.

Cheers

Lemonstring 

Edited by Lemon string
  • Like 2

Beeker

I know you've been to ClaudeJ1's . That's a tough act to follow ! 

As far as a place worth the price of admission . I was lucky enough to visit Michael's " House Of Klipsch" recently. That is worth the price of admission !!!  I was a little nervous to meet the legend himself, but he couldn't of been nicer ! 

I missed your response in this thread somehow...

Claude would still have them stacks id imagine if it were not for the room they take up. Then again I don't see Claude sitting still with one setup or another for long. I try to keep in touch with Colter and after my next move he is my priority contact to get new mains in a 3rd listening room.

My schedule is perfect for this October audio gtg. It appears up to the afternoon of the 10th I will be fairly busy. At about 5pm on that Friday the 10th i'l be ready to loosen up a bit.

• Like 1

I am In.   I am also up to hosting down the road even though I have a modest signature. Jim can come to Northwest Indiana if Chicago is to far, lol.  Others could also bring small pieces of gear to demo.

When did RF7's become modest  :D

• Like 1

I am In.   I am also up to hosting down the road even though I have a modest signature. Jim can come to Northwest Indiana if Chicago is to far, lol.  Others could also bring small pieces of gear to demo.

Id love to hear your system.

Anything klipsch is a priority to me to hear. Amps, pre's, "material most importantly", dacs's, subs, pre's, receivers and any speaker with a klipsch label as well as others though klipsch does the job incredibly well and the way klipsch mix with rooms to the amp etc...is all good stuff.

This gathering is sounding very good

I'll even stop and swipe up Jim so he don't gotta drive through crazy town lol just gotta be careful with Jim tho he may try to buy anything and everything he see's and/or hears...so im sure he'll drive the big speaker hauler he has

oppusk? man that guy has some gear and in Chicago...he's got near doubles of everything at his undisclosed location...he would be buying everything too so gotta be careful what we bring :)

• Like 1

hey guys this just in......

My wife, after giving me the ok on the 11th/12th, realized that we have a family obligation that weekend. Would the following sat the 18th work for you guys? Im looking into seeing if I can work around the obstacle of the 11th and still keep that date. Stay posted, but I wanted to see if the 18th would work in the event that I can't get out of this.

thanks

Lemonstring 

My wife, after giving me the ok on the 11th/12th, realized that we have a family obligation that weekend. Would the following sat the 18th work for you guys? Im looking into seeing if I can work around the obstacle of the 11th and still keep that date. Stay posted, but I wanted to see if the 18th would work in the event that I can't get out of this.

thanks

Lemonstring 

It may even be better. Anytime works from here

I have a Table Tuba to bring along if the room is available for me and my folded horn.

That would be sweet!

• Like 1

thanks

Lemonstring 

Probably better for me as well .

I have a Table Tuba to bring along if the room is available for me and my folded horn.

That would be awesome !

I would love to demo some Klipsch speakers, especially with tube amps. I've never heard any of the Heritage line, the only Klipsch speaker I've heard is a pair of P38s, and they're powered by a 8 year old Yamaha AVR, so they're not pushed at all.

I am a total newb about audio, and some of what I've read on here seems to be in a foreign language. I am very interested in learning though. 

If it's okay, maybe I'll make the drive a couple hours north and check out some of your sound systems. I'll try n to to bore you pros with a lot of silly questions!

• Like 1

the only Klipsch speaker I've heard is a pair of P38s

this is very interesting. I bet you will like a cornwall better. The palladium is much more refined...you may have actually acquired the sound and taste of the ultra sophisticated audiophile and your nose may be and/or get stuck upward listening to any other speaker lol

The exaggeration produced in a cornwall to me is worth a lifetime a listening. Some people absolutely chose palladium on top of anything klipsch and some vice versa..there is a klipsch speaker for everybody

the only Klipsch speaker I've heard is a pair of P38s

this is very interesting. I bet you will like a cornwall better. The palladium is much more refined...you may have actually acquired the sound and taste of the ultra sophisticated audiophile and your nose may be and/or get stuck upward listening to any other speaker lol

The exaggeration produced in a cornwall to me is worth a lifetime a listening. Some people absolutely chose palladium on top of anything klipsch and some vice versa..there is a klipsch speaker for everybody

Yes, that's exactly why I want to hear more of what Klipsch has to offer. I have a perfect room for Khorns, 17x26, and like their large presence.  I love the looks of the Belles, and La Scalas look awesome also. CW, Heresy, Chorus, the models with twin woofers in front, and one woofer in back look very interesting also.

• Like 1

so I had a couple thoughts, tell me what you guys think.....

1st) meet up at my crib in Batavia at 3pm and head to the local record store, kiss the sky, its a pretty great store with a ton of used vinyl and cds as well as new stuff. I thought it'd be cool to head in there, Im going to extend an invite to the owner of the shop as he is a proud klipsch owner though I don't think a forum member.

2nd) I thought it could be interesting to go through the evolution of a stereo system. I still have most of the gear I started this journey with about 2 years ago. 

I started with a set of RF82's and a yamaha AVR (that I don't have). I then moved to separates, still solid state, which consisted of an adcom 2353 along with a Emotiva umc-1.

Next I bought the cornwalls and updated the crossovers. I have the rf82s in storage for a future surround set up.

Next I replaced the solid state amp with a 12w  audion sterling EL34 class A amp and replaced the use of the Emotiva umc-1 with a Schitt bifrost dac with the uber upgrade. I also replaced my monster speaker cable with Kimber. At this point I was streaming via mog, later beats and then qobuz. 

latest addition to the system a rega p3-24 w/ a dynavector 10x5 cartridge. 

Just a thought, could be interesting to see how the system has changed..... has the quality improved? Maybe, maybe not.... maybe i just heard something different at each turn not necessarily better but maybe. Could be interesting.....

Let me know if any of you think it would be cool or we can just play tunes and not geek out on the different gear and gadgets.

Edited by Lemon string
  • Like 1

I was thinking that I could bring a few "different" items that the folks might be interested in.  My pair of ClaudeJ1 Super Heresy's (or baby Cornwalls as he calls them), a vintage Pioneer SX receiver, and an interesting little Qinpu A6000 MKII tube amp that plays like a big boy....all easy to set up, and fun to listen to.  Just a thought.

• Like 2