Chicago area forum members

Lemon string

This thread is on using Pro Crossovers to derive the signal for the sub woofers, also some good suggestions on subs.

One of the things we were playing with at the get together........

It's in the Mac Section.

My LaScalas bottom out at 56Hz, how low can you go?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=621586

Edited by Bubo

• 2 months later...

I am hoping to make it, not sure yet, but has there been a venue decided?

No not as of yet. Im cool doing it at my house again or we could meet up at my studio which is in the city. The latter might be more central..... I know for those coming from indy and MI. The only problem I see with this venue is I don't have a pair of klipsch speakers there currently...... I wonder if Klipsch would be kind enough to send a pair or two of new speakers for us to demo????? haha right!!

Edited by Lemon string

1.   Derrick, the shoulder seems to be  responding to therapy, if I can skip 6 months of rehab from getting cut that is good in itself. Still tender if used much. Thanks for asking.....

2.   On the speaker cables, we could short circuit, no pun intended, the whole debate and simply get different materials and gauges like 20ga lamp cord the original hi-fi speaker cable with aluminum conductors, and pure copper different gauges, I think I have some 14ga, we could also try 12 and 10 ga in a bake off and do a blind test with all four cables, someone with a clear natural voice like Ronstadt singing Skylark over and over.......... and have each person write down their best guess. They should all be the same length, lets say 15 feet with gold banana plugs to speed things up.

If someone owns silver or gold or whatever cables and wants to hook them up, throw them in the mix. 4-5 cables, 1-2 min each same song, acoustic, I like a natural woman's voice and maybe  minimal strings or a piano, we all know what it sounds like, electric guitar who can tell??

We can also try $5 12 gauge power extension cords with the ends cut off, yes I am serious. 12 gauge shoot out  hmmmmmmmm the second round.

Perhaps check the box on:

lifelike voice, natural sounding voice, noise, hiss, bass response clear or muddy, treble is it shrill

Depending on the amp we use, damping can be a deciding factor, generally better in newer solid state than tubes, which does not mean tubes sound bad. If there were a perfect amp design, every amp would be identical. Each amp is an aggregate of objectives, costs and trade offs. Cables do have an effect on damping.

Shortest path, DVD player direct into DAC, then the amp, or just jack the DVD player RCAs direct into the amp if it has gain controls. My $35 Sony DVD actually sounds pretty good.

I just rebuilt one of my Yamaha Amps, an MX-600 which has great specs, and also sounds great that has gain controls, I can bring that and a DVD player for the test bed if that helps. The Amp already worked, so all electrolytics were replaced with Nichicon FGs, which are highly regarded, ..........probably the gold colored shrink wraps sound better......

The Yamaha I brought the last time, wants a new transistor somewhere, I haven't looked inside the box yet, so it's on the shelf for now.

3. Location

lemon string, if your family is willing to have us again, I would vote for the home since you already have a nice set up there.... ready to go.

I don't have the ability to haul a pair of speakers into the city, and to be honest the Cornwalls sound noticeably better than the Heresys ( I have two pairs)

If someone can haul a pair of LaScalas (black industrials work) into the city, that would work too. I would say K-horns but they are so room dependent.

If someone can do the large speakers, I will chip in $10 for their rental truck with a ramp and dollys. With miles, I'm guessing less than $100. U haul has small box trucks for $20 with no ramp, if we have enough guys, 2-3 per speaker should work est 130 lbs ea. Still need dollys.

4. Food

I can certainly bring a bottle of wine, and will chip in for some pizza and snacks depending on what the consensus is.

There must be good pizza somewhere in the City......The Batavia stuff was good the last time....

My two cents.

Edited by Bubo