Chicago area forum members

Lemon string

• 2 months later...

I'll be at AXPONA again this year. 

Friday is busy but not too bad, Saturday is crazy, and Sunday is usually the quietest day. 

Volti Audio will be in the Dearborn room on the lobby level.  We'll have a set of Vittora speakers, powered by a S20 BorderPatrol amplifier, with a Well Tempered Lab turntable, and all cabling by Triode Pete of Triode Wire Labs. 

Greg

• Like 1

I'll be there on Friday with some friends. Shoot me a PM if you guys want to meet up.

I went on Saturday last year and it was packed. We're hoping things are less busy on Friday.

Edited by DrWho

Nice chart

EQ2.gif

Here's my favorite chart; interactive.

http://independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

I like the one graph at the bottom for voice. Might want to exercise caution when directly referencing that chart.  :rolleyes:  900 Hz on the upper end? That's as intelligible as talking straight into a pillow. And 82 Hz on the bottom end?? I can pull all the sliders down below 300 Hz and even Barry White still sounds the same so long as he's not eating the mic.

Just returned from Axpona, toured around with opusk2k9

Definitely worth the $25, you probably need a full 2 days to see everything.

I can't say that there was anything radically new like the first CD.

This is my first one of these, I am accustomed to having everything in a large hall, but with 200 stereos blasting it might be a bit confusing.

I may do a write up on my impressions.

I'll be at AXPONA again this year. 

Friday is busy but not too bad, Saturday is crazy, and Sunday is usually the quietest day. 

Volti Audio will be in the Dearborn room on the lobby level.  We'll have a set of Vittora speakers, powered by a S20 BorderPatrol amplifier, with a Well Tempered Lab turntable, and all cabling by Triode Pete of Triode Wire Labs. 

Greg

Greg, It was great meeting you and the Vittora speakers sounded great.

One of the guy in the audience said it best after listening to a jazz recording:

"I am a drummer and I know what at drum kit sounds like in Carnegie Hall and THAT is what a drum kit sounds in Carnegie Hall!"

Despite it being a challenging room to setup in, everything sounded great.

Slammed all weekend..... not going to make it. :(

I was a bit overwhelmed going there and didn't get to half of the booths.

Mark (Bubo) and I missed the left half of the lobby level (my bad) and floors 2, 4, 5,12 (just too much for the one day).

Here are some highlights:

I recommend hitting on the lower level (most of them, but make sure to hit):

Acoustic zen (he rebuild tascam reel-to-reel)

Classic Audio (upgrades classic JBL speakers)

Cabasse speakers/Esoteric electronics (decadent $400K setup)

KEF try to listen to the KEF LS-50 speakers (the little ones)

Muraudio (omnidirectional sound)

Lynx studio (reviles Oppo HA-1, but is a studio mixer too).

Lobby level:

Volti: Dearborn room by the eargear great setup

I recommend checking out Oppo in the Eargear section, particularly the HA-1 DAC/headphone amp/stereo preamp and their budget PM-3 headphones

Head down to the Higgins room, check out the complex speaker design at the entrance, also Lampizator (tube mods guy from Poland)

Check out Legacy Audio, particularly the model "V" speakers in the back

Check out Emotiva, they have a HT setup, I want the XMC-1

Today, I did some listening to the $200 Belles in the basement playing through my Oppo BDP-103D Blu-ray player (paid $450 used/$600

new) and my Sansui AU-719 amp (paid about $200).  Much less for the electronics than nearly anything we listed to on Friday.

I didn't hear anything yesterday for $200 that would match the sound of my $200 Belles.

Actually, I am sure I didn't hear a $200 pair of anything.

I pretty certain I didn't hear anything yesterday for $2000 that comes close to the $200 Belles.

I was impressed by the KEF LS-50 for $1500 ($1300 show special)

I probably didn't hear (much if) anything for $20K that sounded better than the $200 Belles.

I probably didn't hear (much if) anything for $20K that sounded better than the $200 Belles.

I was there today, and agree 100%.  So much over the top prices, colors, prices....However, did hear a couple of things that were outstanding.  The Volti's for one...

Gibson (yes, the guitar company), had three sets of powered monitors that were superb for their size and pricing.

Emotiva had a pretty stunning display, as did Audio Video Interiors of Chicago with their Mcintosh setup.

Best music I heard all day was on a pair of Tannoy floor monitors, playing a yet to be released Nils Lofgren live acoustic recording.  The mixing engineer was there and said it would be released in approx. 3 months.  It was awesome.

The marketplace had some nice things, mostly very nice vinyl at good prices.  Picked up a few.....John Mayall, Stevie Wonder, Allman Brothers, Tedeschi Trucks Band.... 

Oh yea, I forgot...there was a fully restored Pioneer SX-1980 receiver (basically the Holy Grail) powering a pair of Altec Speakers that had been rescued from Les Paul's recording studio....all for sale.  My hands were shaking so bad, I couldn't take a photo....

post-12530-0-22520000-1430009683_thumb.j

post-12530-0-37720000-1430009705_thumb.j

post-12530-0-20400000-1430009745_thumb.j

Edited by jimjimbo

Oh yea, I forgot...there was a fully restored Pioneer SX-1980 receiver (basically the Holy Grail) powering a pair of Altec Speakers that had been rescued from Les Paul's recording studio....all for sale.  My hands were shaking so bad, I couldn't take a photo....

I spent a couple of hours listening to the 820c Altecs that you are referring to, the repair shop out in Rockford is the owner, nice guys. I was very impressed with the Altecs when I heard them a couple of years ago.

So much gear, so little space to put it in. :(